Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2010, 06:49 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Tamrac has this Photo Hip Pac that I use. It can hold 2 to 3 lenses depending on size. The 3 DA LTD's all would fit easily into it.

For me it helps keep several lenses at hand once the camera is out of the main bag. There is even a second outer pocket big enough for SD cards and a battery.
This will work the best fro my needs for now, so I can use it along with the backpack, exactly like how you use it. Or I can take it If I am carrying 3-4 small lenses.

I will get one of those vests later for photography travels.

Appreciate all the help.

01-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Is cool. Those vests and jackets are kind of handy for a lot of schemes: they can at least take up those little things that might otherwise make you want to carry a bag, or that last thing you might want to scoop up on the way out the door.

Even like an army, hunting, or safari type jacket can be useful. I'm still keeping an eye out for something along those lines, myself,
01-03-2010, 07:21 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

pcarfan,
I use these: B1010P Adorama Slinger Soft Lens Case Small, 5" High x 86mm Diameter, Black. They are relatively inexpensive, are somewhat weatherproof and on the back have both vertical and horzontal velcroed flaps so you can attach them either to your belt or the straps of your fastback. I have tne lowepro sling bag and frequently carry my lenses outside the bag in them if I am making multiple lens changes between two or three different lenses. Saves the hassle of moving the bag to the front and opening it all the time. I actually leave the lenses in the cases all the time. It is a handy way to store them away from dust and I keep a little silicone packet in the bottom of each pouch for humidity control. They come in three sizes that fit most lenses. Lowepro makes a similar case but it's a little more expensive (but has many more sizes).

NaCl(works well for me)H2O
01-05-2010, 12:23 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
This will work the best fro my needs for now, so I can use it along with the backpack, exactly like how you use it. Or I can take it If I am carrying 3-4 small lenses.

I will get one of those vests later for photography travels.

Appreciate all the help.
pcarfan the Tamarac hip pack I found to work well with a backpack. The belt is flush with the top of the hip pack so it wears well below a backpack. The size is small so I would say it will hold 2 to 3 lenses tops depending on size.

I recently purchased this chest pack by Clikelite to go with my Clikelite compactsport. It is better for longer trips as it takes some of the weight from the backpack moving it to the front. The Chestpack does work well by itself also. It has much more room then the tamarac hip pack. I can actually fit the K-7 with the DA40 attached to it inside. It is a tight fit but works. You could fit a decent sized zoom in it.

Another option is the Pentax lens case for DA Limited Lenses.

On a whole though the Tamarac Hip pack has worked very well for me. It is not to expensive. The only small complaint with it is the belt could be a little wider. I have searched for one to replace it but no manufacture I could find has the ergonomics set to work as well while wearing the hip pack with a backpack as does the Tamarac hip pack.

01-05-2010, 04:54 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
pcarfan the Tamarac hip pack I found to work well with a backpack. The belt is flush with the top of the hip pack so it wears well below a backpack. The size is small so I would say it will hold 2 to 3 lenses tops depending on size.

I recently purchased this chest pack by Clikelite to go with my Clikelite compactsport. It is better for longer trips as it takes some of the weight from the backpack moving it to the front. The Chestpack does work well by itself also. It has much more room then the tamarac hip pack. I can actually fit the K-7 with the DA40 attached to it inside. It is a tight fit but works. You could fit a decent sized zoom in it.

Another option is the Pentax lens case for DA Limited Lenses.

On a whole though the Tamarac Hip pack has worked very well for me. It is not to expensive. The only small complaint with it is the belt could be a little wider. I have searched for one to replace it but no manufacture I could find has the ergonomics set to work as well while wearing the hip pack with a backpack as does the Tamarac hip pack.
Do you think the Tamarac hip pac will hold the DA15, DA21 and FA43 which are all very small lenses. My backpack is the fastpack, so I can use it like a sling bag as well and swivel around. So, the chestpack wouldn't work with it.

I think this is too large
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/446503-REG/Kata_KT_A53Q_Format_Q_Waist_Pack.html
01-05-2010, 06:10 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Do you think the Tamarac hip pac will hold the DA15, DA21 and FA43 which are all very small lenses. My backpack is the fastpack, so I can use it like a sling bag as well and swivel around. So, the chestpack wouldn't work with it.

I think this is too large
Kata | Format Q Waist Pack | KT A53Q | B&H Photo Video
Those lenses should fit fine in the Tamrac hip pac. I don't have the exact lenses but I attached an image with the hip pac with the DA15, A28f2.8 and an M20f4 inside. They fit fine so the DA15, DA21 and FA43 should too. I usually have a prime telephoto lens along with another lens in the hip pac.

The Tamrac hip pac wasn't really designed to carry lenses but it works well in this application. Most hip pacs are geared for full loads including a DSLR making them much larger including the Kata you linked. When ever I see hip pacs I take a look to see if they can replace the function of the Tamrac. I haven't found one yet that is as small with the right shape like the Tamrac. That includes Outdoor gear companies.

Sadly it seems Tamrac is phasing out the hip pak as they don't even offer black any more. I have been hoping one of the bag companies would make such a dedicated hip pac for lenses.

Even the Clik Elite chest pac isn't built for lenses. The Pentax DA lens case looks great for travel though.
Attached Images

02-19-2010, 05:39 PM   #37
Forum Member

SCOTTEVEST

With the 24 pockets and the detachable sleeves, I love the SCOTTEVEST 5.0 fleece. The microfibre hoodie is great too. I find the sideseam pockets were custom made for DA Ltds. It's unbelievable what you can carry.
I also have their Travel Vest and I'm a little disappointed that it doesn't have the side seam pockets. Still has lots of pockets, but I find those the best for the small prime lenses.

See Fleece 5.0 Jacket from SCOTTEVEST
02-19-2010, 05:58 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Buy less lenses

You could always go with less lenses, perhaps a zoom or two? (runs)

02-20-2010, 02:13 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I use the small Domke shoulder bag. I divide into three compartments, one for the camera and two for lenses, which I stack two to a compartment. I can set the removed lens on one side while picking up the one to be installed.
02-20-2010, 03:32 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I am unable to find a Tamrac 5425 in black or gray (Amazon said they did, and I paid for it, now awaiting a refund).

I don't want a messenger style bag, may be I'll buy a regular fanny pack and make it work
02-20-2010, 03:59 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am unable to find a Tamrac 5425 in black or gray (Amazon said they did, and I paid for it, now awaiting a refund).

I don't want a messenger style bag, may be I'll buy a regular fanny pack and make it work
I was also thinking that maybe a regular fanny pack plus the DA lens case would work.
02-20-2010, 07:37 PM   #42
Veteran Member

The Tamrac 5401 holds quite a bit

I bought a Tamrac 5401 a couple days ago which was (after some storm related delays) delivered this afternoon. I had a $20 credit at Crutchfield I had to use so I figured I'd give this bag a try for carrying my Kx and some primes.

It's a pretty compact bag (around 8"x6"x5"), but it actually holds quite a bit. The picture below shows the bag holding my Kx with a DA 35 mounted, a DA 15 and FA 77 in the main sectrion and an F 28, F 50 and 1.4x in the front pocket. (The 1.4x can also be swapped out for a DA40 or a DA21, I tried and they both fit fine).

All-in-all, it's a pretty compact setup for a Kx + prime setup. FWIW, if you wanted to add a zoom, the section in the main compartment can hold a 55-300 or 28-75 instead of two primes I have in there now.

Last edited by dgaies; 08-15-2010 at 05:05 AM.
07-17-2010, 04:20 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
Photo vest? Small prime lenses fit in the vest's pockets well.
UPDATE:

I did exactly this for my recent trip to Yellowstone. I bought the Humvee style one form B&H and practiced using it at home and then during my trip it worked like a charm. It was fantastic, thanks for the suggestion.
07-17-2010, 07:53 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Sadly it seems Tamrac is phasing out the hip pak as they don't even offer black any more. I have been hoping one of the bag companies would make such a dedicated hip pac for lenses.

Even the Clik Elite chest pac isn't built for lenses. The Pentax DA lens case looks great for travel though.
Now that is one sweet setup!
Totally getting me one(or two) of those!

Thanks for sharing this great idea btw.
07-18-2010, 04:13 AM   #45
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use a Crumpler Daily bag, with just a thin layer of foam between each vertically stacked lens, with the least used at the bottom of the stack.