Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2009, 05:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Best way to carry multiple small lenses for quick reach.

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have the lowpro fastpack 200, which is a very comfortable backpack that acts like a sling bag. But, now that I have many small lenses, the individual pouches are too large and there isn't enough of them

What is the best way to carry multiple small lenses like the DA21, FA*24 (not that small) FA35, FA43, FA77, and 135mm.

My lenses:

12-27-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

it's a little expensive, but I thought about doing this:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/80426-rear-len...nses-da-*.html

(there's a good picture in post #11)
12-27-2009, 05:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use my pockets...
12-27-2009, 06:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use small Pelican neoprene cases clipped to the strap attachment of my camera bag.

12-27-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
it's a little expensive, but I thought about doing this:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/80426-rear-len...nses-da-*.html

(there's a good picture in post #11)
This is quite interesting, more for easy lens change...cool.
12-27-2009, 07:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I use small Pelican neoprene cases clipped to the strap attachment of my camera bag.
Are these the ones?

Pelican Neoprene Lens Pouch from pelicanproducts.us

how do they clip to the straps ?

Thank you
12-27-2009, 07:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
I use my pockets...
I can keep one, but not much more. Actually the k-7, DA21, FA43 can be used this way without a camera bag at all. I love that setup.

12-27-2009, 08:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

How much of that are you looking to carry at once, Pcarfan?

And have you considered just a traditional shoulder bag of the appropriate size? I still like those. There's messenger-style ones that are nice, too.
12-28-2009, 07:21 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Are these the ones?

Pelican Neoprene Lens Pouch from pelicanproducts.us

how do they clip to the straps ?

Thank you
Those don't look exactly like mine but, yeah, that's it. I should mention that I use a Tamrac holster-style camera bag which allows me to attach large Lowepro lens cases on either side. The Pelican cases have plastic hook-clips and I clip them to the connection hardware at the end of the strap. I find it a very flexible system: I can load up or lighten up at whim.
12-28-2009, 08:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
How much of that are you looking to carry at once, Pcarfan?

And have you considered just a traditional shoulder bag of the appropriate size? I still like those. There's messenger-style ones that are nice, too.

Well, it depends how many I carry. When I went to Vegas I took the DA21, FA43 and loved it. No camera bag, nothing. At times I ony carry the FA24. But if I want to carry the most, I would do the 21 or 24, 43, 77, 135 and 100-300. I would like to take the 10-20 on top of that. This combo get's hectic, and I would like to keep the 10-20 and the 100-300 in the bag, and have the 21,43,77 and 135 somewhere else where it is more reachable. or even just the 21, 43 and 77.

I've considered belts and waist pouches along with my Lowpro, was wondering whether there are other ways. There seems to be at least two more, the dual end caps and hanging them on straps.

If I am going to somplace exotic like Alaska or Costa Rica then I want to take them all.

I am debating between the DA15/4 or the DA*16-50 for my next purchase based on what will be used most. This way I can take the 16-50, 77 and the 100-300 alone. OR have another small lens to deal with.....
12-28-2009, 08:59 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about a lens turret, more commonly seen on a motion picture or TV camera?
IMO it really wouldn't look out of place on some DSLRs...

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 12-28-2009 at 09:11 AM.
12-28-2009, 09:17 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
How about a lens turret, more commonly seen on a motion picture or TV camera?
IMO it really wouldn't look out of place on some DSLRs...

Chris
ROFLOL....
12-28-2009, 09:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Well, it depends how many I carry. When I went to Vegas I took the DA21, FA43 and loved it. No camera bag, nothing. At times I ony carry the FA24. But if I want to carry the most, I would do the 21 or 24, 43, 77, 135 and 100-300. I would like to take the 10-20 on top of that. This combo get's hectic, and I would like to keep the 10-20 and the 100-300 in the bag, and have the 21,43,77 and 135 somewhere else where it is more reachable. or even just the 21, 43 and 77.

I've considered belts and waist pouches along with my Lowpro, was wondering whether there are other ways. There seems to be at least two more, the dual end caps and hanging them on straps.

If I am going to somplace exotic like Alaska or Costa Rica then I want to take them all.

I am debating between the DA15/4 or the DA*16-50 for my next purchase based on what will be used most. This way I can take the 16-50, 77 and the 100-300 alone. OR have another small lens to deal with.....

Hrm. If I wanted to carry a 'big gun' like that 100-300 around, I think I would have a separate case for that: when I did some sports, I would do the same sort of thing for the 'big gun' as I would also do for the medium format stuff and weddings: I'd carry the big lens/second body/big camera/flashes/bracketry in a second bag: this bag would be emptied when I arrived, and I'd cache it away somewhere.

For something more mobile, I might look at a holster case big enough to accept that lens or lens+camera on my hip, (and whatever belt arrangement it took to support that.... That looks big.)

This could go alongside a more modest shoulder-bag.

To get all that including the big lens in the same bag, an old-style Lowepro Magnum or something to that effect could probably do the job. The big lens would ride inside across the top in the cradle (the top part of the partitions) and other lenses would be down inside.

Big, though. Those bags were basically made to carry two professional motor-driven bodies with substantial lenses. You'd have to be very big and strong to consider it comfy, but you could carry everything.

In general, I would consider keeping that 100-300 in a separate arrangement, unless you want to carry heavy and go with a real backpack.

I have one other suggestion, though, which is a big, shoulder bag like an overgrown laptop case. (That's kind of why I got it, actually: to carry my big and heavy old laptop along with some gear and personal items. It's boxy with all the padding in, slouchy when you take some out. Without a laptop in there, it can carry a *lot* of stuff, and it's sized so you can put any Domke made inserts in there you like. It's nice cause it's flexible. )

Here's the only place I know to get them: Big canvas camera bag WITH FREE INSERT! - eBay (item 290375900559 end time Dec-29-09 22:53:08 PST)

Drawbacks are: First and foremost, they're not exactly 'plug-and-play, (expect to need to add more velcro and put in different inserts and dividers, ) and also they're not highly waterproof: just heavy canvas for the most part, but a lot of it.

What you get with it is basically a really big padded 'tub' into which you can place whatever sort of dividers you like, (by removing the partition for the laptop, you get basically a full-sized camera bag that is very deep: if you remove this 'tub' the bag will still take Domke inserts and want to fall flat against your body if the contents permit. ) It's very flexible that way. I actually want to make myself a custom insert for it that'll be sort of a compromise, while still leaving room to tuck that extra lens or flash in there if I'd like.

Anyway, that's just another thing that's not too common. I don't care for sling bags or backpacks, much, either.
12-28-2009, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

What is the best way to carry multiple small lenses like the DA21, FA*24 (not that small) FA35, FA43, FA77, and 135mm.

My lenses:

Borrow a shopping cart from your supermarket.

Mickey
12-28-2009, 12:08 PM   #15
D W
Veteran Member

For the DA limited I use the LowePro Lenspouch 1s. I glue two rear lens caps back to back and can mount 2 lenses together to make a larger "unit" which fit into there lens pouches nicely.