Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2009, 01:29 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
GORILLA POD - who has one?

I got a Gorilla Pod for Christmas [SLR Zoom], [as I asked] but now I'm a little nervous to open the box. I'm hesitant that I will use it.

Do you have one? Do you use it often? Is it worth keeping? [They're pretty pricey and I can think of other things I could put the $$ towards!]

I already have a regular tripod and a mini tripod.

I'd appreciate honest answers!

Thanks in advance.

12-29-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I used the smaller one for a P&S before I got my SLR. My wife and I have many pictures of the two of us thanks to the gorilla pod and the camera timer.

I've thought about getting one for my SLR... but I'm completely satisfied with my tripod and monopod.
12-29-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
Damn Brit

I have one and it is good when you use it at for gripping on to things like branches and gates, not so good as a straight mini tripod.
Personally, I prefer the SLR version because you can get a flash head for it which I use a lot for off camera flash.
12-29-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Panache Quote
I got a Gorilla Pod for Christmas [SLR Zoom], [as I asked] but now I'm a little nervous to open the box. I'm hesitant that I will use it.

Do you have one? Do you use it often? Is it worth keeping? [They're pretty pricey and I can think of other things I could put the $$ towards!]

I already have a regular tripod and a mini tripod.

I'd appreciate honest answers!

Thanks in advance.
Yes, I have one Gorilla Pod SLR Zoom.
I bring it every time I need a light tripod and my big tripod is too cumbersome/heavy.
I have a regular Giottos tripod, a Giottos Monopod and 2 smaller regular tripods and this Gorilla Pod SLR Zoom. Guess which one I carry the most?
...Gorilla Pod SLR Zoom. The reason is it fits perfectly inside my Kata 3N1-30 bag and nobody can see whether I'm carrying a tripod

I think it's money worth spent. Last time I carried this only on my trip to Hawaii and without it I wont be able to take shots for this stitched panoramic view:

This shot is taken using K20D + DA*16-50 attached on Gorilla Pod SLR Zoom wrapped on the end of hotel's patio fence on 20th floor
if it failed to hold, you can imagine what my camera & lens will look like after falling from that height. I was pretty scared too but the Gorilla Pod did a good job clinging to that steel fence.
Gorilla Pod SLR Zoom (Warning: not the regular one) is also strong enough to hold my K20D + FA*80-200 when attached to a coffee table's leg.

Seriously, at first I thought it's a little bit too much for a small tripod. But knowing how light & versatile it is now, this will be my main tripod for now everywhere I go.
Last time I went camping without my DSLR, just a point & shoot Fuji camera and this Gorilla Pod too. I used it to hold my camera by mounting it on the car's door frame to take our group picture with me included. All my friends were surprised to see this weird looking bendable black & white thingy. But they are more surprised to see that I could wrap it on their car's door

Like Gary said, you can use it to attach your wireless flash also. Gorilla pod has it's own hot shoe but I use this one:
Stroboframe | Shoe - General Purpose | 300-405 | B&H Photo Video

Oh btw, get a small ball head and you'll be glad you did. I got this one from B&H since it comes as a kit:
Joby | Gorillapod SLR-Zoom Flexible Mini-Tripod with Medium |

12-29-2009, 03:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have the same as yours and use it when hiking or cycling. Its light, compact and versatile. I won't be selling it unless I quit photography
12-29-2009, 07:43 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses. I'm still not sure whether I'll keep it or return it and put the money towards a lighting kit. Agggh, decisions!!
12-29-2009, 08:09 PM   #7
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Panache Quote
Thanks for the responses. I'm still not sure whether I'll keep it or return it and put the money towards a lighting kit. Agggh, decisions!!
It's one of those pieces of equipment you might not use often but I'm sure there will be times when you kick yourself that you didn't keep it (if you do decide to return it that is).

12-29-2009, 08:42 PM   #8
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have one. Well it's my second one actually. It's the slr/zoom version. The first one was courtesy BrendanPK's spring gathering (they were one of the sponsors), via Dadipentak, but it was stolen when we got our stuff swiped while on vacation. Brendan loaned me his for the London trip and I used it inside the Salisbury Cathedral to get my camera really close to the floor without it being flat on it's back, for long exposures. I now have my own again (just barely) and have just used for off-camera flash. It's great for that as well as for the camera as it gives you more options for light placement in areas where you don't have a lot of room.

I'd keep it. It's not an everyday thing but a just the right thing for certain situations.
12-29-2009, 09:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

the new one has a ball head. a lot more intresting
12-29-2009, 09:15 PM   #10
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine didn't come with that. I thought you had to buy it separately. Which I think I will. Brendan's has that and I quite liked it.