Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is it possible to swap focusing screens?

I have a couple of film bodies with focusing screens that I could utilize if I knew whether they would work or not with my K-m. Is there any information online regarding swapping focusing screens among Pentax bodies, film or digital?

12-29-2009, 04:27 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't know about online info, that's what google is for, but generally, you don't swap screens from one body to another because of metering issues.
You can't swap screens from a film body to a DSLR because the screens are too large.
12-29-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You'd have to probably measure each screen for both old and new cameras to see how they would fit. If not, you can cut and file/sand older screens down to size. I was impressed with a screen I watched being made over the holidays for a K10D from an old MV screen. The screen from an ME Super looks like it will be even brighter too
12-29-2009, 04:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The focusing screen from your film bodies would be bigger in size compared to the one on your K-m (or for that matter any current Pentax DSLR). You can of course cut down the screen by DIY but unless you can get the measurements and trimming correct, you run the chance of having the center focusing aid off-center. As you'll need to trim on all 4 sides, you'll also need to make a tab to hold that screen with a pair of tweezers.

My suggestion is to buy from focusingscreen.com and save yourself the hassle. I've used several of their screens on different Pentax DSLRs and they are great and easy to install. The screens are machined down to size from stock screens. Best imo is the Nikon K3 screen, definitely brighter than the Canon screens and no issues exposure wise. Definitely cheaper than Katzeye and shipping is very fast.

12-30-2009, 08:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Check out this set on flickr from someone who made their own K10D: K10D, new split focusing screen - a set on Flickr

The tab isn't strictly necessary either, being careful when swapping is fine. Use tweezers and put a little bit of cotton on each end. That or something else equally soft and you'll be fine