Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2010, 01:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
High-load monopod and head for 500/4.5?

Hi Folks,

What monopod would you suggest for large lens applications like the a 500/4.5? My Takumar weighs in at about 3.6kg plus the camera, and add the head onto the monopod and you're looking at around 5kg total weight.

I'm going to be trekking with this lens on some relatively long hikes...5-20km I'd imagine. I've got a decent LowePro bag that will hold the lens, my K10D and the bare essentials. What monopod and head should I look for? I was thinking that a tilt-only head is the way to go with this kind of setup, am I right?

I'm in Canada, with my best resource of monopods being a local Henry's:

Monopods

TIA,
D

01-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

FEISOL Four-sections Monopod CM-1471
FEISOL Ball Head CB-50D

I have the CB-50D head, and it absolutely rocks. The monopod is probably the same leg section as their heavyweight tripod, which I also have. This should give a very solid combination.
01-01-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Consider this head FS here from Marc Langille Arca-Swiss Monoball
01-01-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
Forum Member

You might take a look at the mid-size RRS ballhead, their BH-40.
URL is reallyrightstuff.com/ballheads/02.html

The BH-40 is incredibly strong (conservatively rated at 18 pounds), very light (13 ounces), and a lot more compact than the Arca-Swiss. The BH-40 is a pure joy to use. Ridiculously expensive ($300 range) but no more than the Arca-Swiss.

Personally I've not used any Arca-Swiss, nor the full-size RRS ball head, but I'd nominate the BH-40 for a permanent exhibit at the Smithsonian for gorgeous and functional industrial design -- it moves so well, and locks so surely with just a flick of your wrist. Seriously, if you want the very best you can get for your purpose, and have the bucks to consider paying $300 for a ball head, you would be doing yourself a big favor to look at and/or drool over the RRS BH-40 or their full-size BH-55 (1.3 pounds, rated for 50 pound load).

Incidentally, if weight is a critical factor, consider going with a simple platform mount rather than a quick-release plate. The platform may take a couple more seconds to set up, but not much, and it's a lot smaller, lighter, and lower-profile. Just as strong, and one less thing to lose on the trail.

01-01-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Looks like ball heads are the way to go! Good to know. Wheatfield, I'm intrigued by the Feisol products, they are priced very well, seem to be within spec, and I was able to find a small dealer in Canada: Richard Berry Photography

The Arca-Swiss and RRS look very nice indeed, but are probably out of my price range at the moment...which is also why I'm shooting with a 500/4.5 SMC Takumar instead of something a little more user friendly.

I'm really looking forward to getting my big lens on the monopod...I've had it for over a year and only had the opportunity to use it handheld.

Next question...SR with a monopod or not?
01-01-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Jury is out on SR with a monopod. Definitely off with a tripod since the sensor might "hunt" to reduce shake that doesn't exist.

A properly braced monopod (proper technique) should probably not need SR.
01-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
Looks like ball heads are the way to go! Good to know. Wheatfield, I'm intrigued by the Feisol products, they are priced very well, seem to be within spec, and I was able to find a small dealer in Canada: Richard Berry Photography

The Arca-Swiss and RRS look very nice indeed, but are probably out of my price range at the moment...which is also why I'm shooting with a 500/4.5 SMC Takumar instead of something a little more user friendly.

I'm really looking forward to getting my big lens on the monopod...I've had it for over a year and only had the opportunity to use it handheld.

Next question...SR with a monopod or not?
I'm really very pleased with the Feisol equipment that I have. The big ballhead (CB-70D) is large enough for my 600/5.6 if I care to use it on a ball head (I don't, I use a Wimberley). I suspect the RRS, Markins and Photoclams might be a bit better, but then again, they might not be, and they are certainly much more expensive.
Berry's pricing seems quite fair, certainly in line with the American distributor.

02-21-2010, 08:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
FEISOL Four-sections Monopod CM-1471
FEISOL Ball Head CB-50D

I have the CB-50D head, and it absolutely rocks. The monopod is probably the same leg section as their heavyweight tripod, which I also have. This should give a very solid combination.
Wheatfield, are the Feisol ballheads arca-swiss style? I got a Feisol CT-3342 tournament tripod a while back, but put a photoclam on top, which has uses arca-swiss standard plates. I was thinking about picking up a Feisol monopod and need a head for it, so was just wondering if the feisol heads would accept the same quick release plates that I already have? Thanks for any info.
02-23-2010, 03:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The k 500mm f4.5 I had was pretty front heavy so I made an offset bracket for use on my manfrotto w/ tilt quick release head. (couldn't afford the arca swiss set up)
I did try a bush hawk with it and it worked pretty good freeing up the left hand for focus and aperture control. Looks like a bazooka though.
02-23-2010, 04:04 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting--I posed a similar question recently (here). Personally, I think it's a bad idea to use a ball-head with big lenses.
02-24-2010, 07:34 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Interesting--I posed a similar question recently (here). Personally, I think it's a bad idea to use a ball-head with big lenses.
I use a Manfrotto ball head and tripod with the 400, the 400 + 1.4 and the 400 + 1.7. I have had no problems with the rig, but a gimbal would be much better, except for my pocket book.
02-24-2010, 08:10 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I use a Manfrotto ball head and tripod with the 400, the 400 + 1.4 and the 400 + 1.7. I have had no problems with the rig, but a gimbal would be much better, except for my pocket book.
Of course, my aversion to ball heads for big lenses on a monopod is just a matter of personal preference.
02-24-2010, 10:12 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
Wheatfield, are the Feisol ballheads arca-swiss style? I got a Feisol CT-3342 tournament tripod a while back, but put a photoclam on top, which has uses arca-swiss standard plates. I was thinking about picking up a Feisol monopod and need a head for it, so was just wondering if the feisol heads would accept the same quick release plates that I already have? Thanks for any info.
I believe they are. I know can interchange plates between my Feisol and my Wimberley gimbal head.
03-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #14
MGV

Take a look at
Kirk Enterprises : Monopod Head
a Manfrotto 234 Swivel tilt head with Kirk Quick Release
03-03-2010, 06:36 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MGV Quote
Take a look at
Kirk Enterprises : Monopod Head
a Manfrotto 234 Swivel tilt head with Kirk Quick Release
MGV, I have the Manfrotto 234RC head, which is a quick release version of the 234. Do you feel the Kirk QR is superior and, if so, how?