Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2010, 08:57 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah - you'll be fine with Cameta... they're a good seller.

01-02-2010, 10:45 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Look it up on their website but basically, one version comes with a mount for the camera (you can add a QR if you want) the other has the QR mount built in. The actual plate is an Arca style but the mount is enclosed so the plate slots in instead of sliding in.
Gary,
Are you sure about the QR? My understanding is that the MH 642 QR plate used with the MH 652 clamp is proprietary and not Arca-Swiss compatible. They certainly don't look the same anyway...

My daughter's Induro tripod has a plate/clamp that is similar to the 652/642. It works really well and the plates are much less expensive than the Arca-Swiss.

Steve
01-02-2010, 11:22 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Gary,
Are you sure about the QR? My understanding is that the MH 642 QR plate used with the MH 652 clamp is proprietary and not Arca-Swiss compatible. They certainly don't look the same anyway...

My daughter's Induro tripod has a plate/clamp that is similar to the 652/642. It works really well and the plates are much less expensive than the Arca-Swiss.

Steve
Steve,

What does all of this mean?
Did I screw up ordering, will this work for me?

Thanks again,
Ray
01-02-2010, 11:33 PM   #19
Damn Brit

My bad, I should have checked before saying. I had based it on pictures I had seen of ARCA style in a head, Steve's picture is the first one I've seen on it's own and it'd obviously different.

Ray, no need to worry, what you ordered is fine, sorry for the confusion.

01-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, you're fine, especially since you don't have anything else to worry about matching up to that, and it looks like a nice setup to me.

If you ever did want to change QR systems in the future, it's usually quite easy and fairly inexpensive just to put a different platform on a ballhead like that, anyway.

I've often wished, myself, that it was easier to be sure what might be compatible with what when shopping online. I guess everyone wants you to buy everything of their own brand.
01-08-2010, 09:12 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tripod arrived yesterday (Thursday) and the head arrived today.
I didn't bother to look at the tripod yet but I tore open the head to take a look see as this is my first ball head.
I think i'm going to like this head, I figured out the tension and locking functions just playing around with it (no instructions needed ). It seems very "fluid" and well made and it should be a good match for my tripod.

Thanks for the recommendation Damn Brit!

Ray
01-08-2010, 09:32 PM   #22
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
Tripod arrived yesterday (Thursday) and the head arrived today.
I didn't bother to look at the tripod yet but I tore open the head to take a look see as this is my first ball head.
I think i'm going to like this head, I figured out the tension and locking functions just playing around with it (no instructions needed ). It seems very "fluid" and well made and it should be a good match for my tripod.

Thanks for the recommendation Damn Brit!

Ray
I'm glad you like the head, I'm sure you'll like the tripod as well. It's quite a heavy combo but rock solid.