Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Screen protector again - Canadian search

Hi everyone,

I am looking for rear screen protectors for my K20D and my K7.

There is a thread here on this site regarding that, and there is mention of the Giottos protector which probably rates among the better ones.
I wonder of a ny Canadian member of this forum had the opportunity to buy one (for each camera) and where they bought them.

As for the exact size of the K20d and the K7's rear LCD screen, what should I look into as far as size is concerned?

Anyone?

JP

01-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-7 uses 3.0 inch while K20D uses 2.7. I use ACMAXX LCD screen protector for my K-7, it comes with both the top LCD and back LCD protection. It's a bit pricey but it's a thick sheet of polycarbonate plastic and so far it's been good for me.

01-03-2010, 05:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
K-7 uses 3.0 inch while K20D uses 2.7. I use ACMAXX LCD screen protector for my K-7, it comes with both the top LCD and back LCD protection. It's a bit pricey but it's a thick sheet of polycarbonate plastic and so far it's been good for me.
Looking good!
Thanks for the info, I just checked it on their website.
How much details/colours etc ... do you lose when this carbonate shield is on? I would hate to lose any at all.
JP

Last edited by jpzk; 01-03-2010 at 05:17 PM.
01-04-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
Closed Account

I have no experience with the Giottos, but I searched long and hard for what I call the "perfect screen protector" before I found the Palm screen protectors. I cut them down to size on my K20D, iPod, and other devices whose screens might scratch. They are the best bang for your buck (13 sheets in a pack), and they have very high adhesion yet leave absolutely no residue if removed. You may think 13 sheets is overkill, but safety in numbers means if you really screw one up, you still have more left!

I found mine at a cell phone store here in Canada last year for $25 CDN, so maybe you can find them cheaper as well. They used to be $17 US on Amazon just last year, so I have no idea why they're now $30 US. And avoid the temptation to go cheap. At first, I bought a multi-pack from Optex for about $10. They were awfully flimsy and I swear they could rub against your shirt once before starting to peel off, so they were a complete waste of my money.

It might take some practice to get rid of bubbles, and make sure you put a cloth between the protector and the enclosed applicator card to avoid any scratching. Once on, the protector is very durable and very clear, although again you might still have the odd little bubble or two. The best thing is you don't lose much adhesion if you have to try again, but just try not to re-apply a sheet too many times or else it might not stick well.

Last edited by enoxatnep; 01-04-2010 at 04:11 PM.
01-05-2010, 07:15 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Enox ...
That would be a good idea. I'll check at the local cell phone store and see what they have, if they do.
If not, as you said I can always check it out on Amazon.
Thanks for the info.

JP
01-05-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Hi Enox ...
That would be a good idea. I'll check at the local cell phone store and see what they have, if they do.
If not, as you said I can always check it out on Amazon.
Thanks for the info.

JP
No problem, but I should qualify that when I mean "perfect" screen saver, I mean perfect in terms of my standards and what I was looking for. It may also be the one for you, but it might not be. Anyhow, good luck!
01-12-2010, 10:37 PM   #7

I found one here for 3" glass, pretty cheap

Amazon.com: GGS Optical Glass LCD Screen Protector 3" for Digital Cameras: Camera & Photo

01-13-2010, 08:25 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AirSupply Quote
Thanks,
One more to check. Seems like this could be the one.
JP
01-15-2010, 01:40 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also am using the ACMaxx for my K7, it really is a perfect fit, and it feels rockhard. No noticable glare, so i can really recommend it.

My former cam was a K100, and for that cam i also used a ACMaxx with the same positive comments.
01-15-2010, 07:25 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote
I also am using the ACMaxx for my K7, it really is a perfect fit, and it feels rockhard. No noticable glare, so i can really recommend it.

My former cam was a K100, and for that cam i also used a ACMaxx with the same positive comments.
Seems like a popular one.
I just may go for that.

JP
01-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Kinda unconventional, but I use the material from bestskinsever (.com), which is like a 1/2 price invisible skin. Just cut to the shape and size and you're good to go!
01-16-2010, 02:17 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Seems like a popular one.
I just may go for that.

JP
I really could recommend it

A nice thing of the ACmaxx is also that they don't stick to the entire LCD, but only to a very small edge on the borders of the LCD. So if you ever have to replace them you don't have to clean the entire LCD of glue residu.
And because of that small edge (it is just a very small rubber like strip) there is no fisical contact other than the edge between the protector screen and the LCD.
So no-way you're LCD can get damaged (ok, with normal use :ugh as long as the protector is at its place.
01-16-2010, 11:45 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote
I really could recommend it

A nice thing of the ACmaxx is also that they don't stick to the entire LCD, but only to a very small edge on the borders of the LCD. So if you ever have to replace them you don't have to clean the entire LCD of glue residu.
And because of that small edge (it is just a very small rubber like strip) there is no fisical contact other than the edge between the protector screen and the LCD.
So no-way you're LCD can get damaged (ok, with normal use :ugh as long as the protector is at its place.
I just checked it out on eBay; they have a seller there; couldn't find anything here in Canada.
As I see it, the "kit" inclused two screens: one for the 3" rear screen and one for the smaller top screen.
A bit pricey but seems to be well worth it.

JP