Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2010, 09:22 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Not quite Australia, but they will ship.
Pentax DSLR Leather Hand Strap $ 27.95 B&H Photo Video

Thank you
Russell
Thanks Russell unfortunately the postage is a killer between $40-$90 whick I think that is a bit expensive for a small item

01-08-2010, 02:03 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Silly Goose Quote
Thanks Russell unfortunately the postage is a killer between $40-$90 whick I think that is a bit expensive for a small item
Ow. That it is. Though I've heard that either B&H or Adorama (I forget which: I think it was B&H...) can work out cheaper shipping if you call them: I think what they say on their website makes assumptions/high estimates etc.

I suppose you may as well try a cheaper one to see if you like it, or go right for the Camdapter type.

The only thing about the one you showed us is that it appears to not be the real leather it claims to be, by the looks of how the edges are bound. Might still be OK, though.
01-11-2010, 11:43 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well i've ordered the Nikon AH-4 II (Korean version has rave reviews) it cost me $28 AUD including postage compared to $150 for the Nikon AH-4. It seems to have a lot better fittings than the first strap I asked about. THe only problem I have is I feel like a traitor as it has the Nikon branding on it ( I would have prefered a Pentax Branded one but couldn't source it in Australia and the shipping from the USA was unbelievable).
01-12-2010, 12:37 AM   #19

I use this one..self made but original from HAMA:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/78432-who-keeps-th...tml#post877699

01-12-2010, 10:53 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well i've ordered the Nikon AH-4 II (Korean version has rave reviews) it cost me $28 AUD including postage compared to $150 for the Nikon AH-4. It seems to have a lot better fittings than the first strap I asked about. THe only problem I have is I feel like a traitor as it has the Nikon branding on it ( I would have prefered a Pentax Branded one but couldn't source it in Australia and the shipping from the USA was unbelievable).

Ah, well, looks like the Nikon name on there isn't even conspicuous. You could cover it up easily if it really bothered you. Little iron-on patch or something.

I can see wanting to support the underdog brand, but people always used to mix up brand names on stuff, anyway.
01-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why feel like a "traitor"? Pentaxians are frugal, if it has good value no one going to think otherwise
01-22-2010, 06:45 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
I bought one of these but it hasn't arrived yet.
eBay: Quick Release Plate for CANON SLR CAMERA W/ Hand Strap US $19.99

I'll edit this when it comes to add whether it was worth the $20 or not.
So here is the update. The build quality is good, it fits my Feisol and Kirk QR clamps just fine, the off set screw position is fine for the K10/20 bodies and doesn't interfere with the battery door. The bad news is however, that the plate twists on the camera. The rubber pad just doesn't have enough hold on the camera plastic.

If I was going to use the plate on the camera I think I would try a nylon tipped set screw in the aux 1/4-20 hole to provide for some anti-twist torque.

1/4-20 Nylon Tipped Hex Socket Set Screws - Google Product Search

A nylon set screw would probably work just as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Nylon-Slotted-Screws-4-20-Length/dp/B000NDDJZC/ref=sr_...4211336&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Nylon-Socket-Screw-Point-Length/dp/B000FN3XNI/ref=sr_1...211492&sr=1-55

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 01-22-2010 at 06:55 PM.