Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #1
Forum Member

sunpak pt-2d module

Hi all,

I just want to rely my experience with my sunpak "system" LOL. I took the advice of a member here soldbear to get a flash on the cheap for my new k-x. I got a sunpak 36DX auto flash with a ricoh module since it was the cheapest of the modules listed. The flash is running at 11.02v trigger with the ricoh shoe module consistently. I hunt around and was able to find a deal on a sunpak 555 flash. I was also able to get the pt-2d module cheaper than the pt-1d. With the pt-1d on the 36dx, the trigger is at 4.31v consistently.

The ricoh/36DX combo worked fine with my k-x prior acquiring my 555 + pt-2d. The 36dx combo + pt-2d also works with out flaw. The big difference is that, with pt-2d which is pentax specific, in M mode, while the flash is charging, if you have already setup to meter with the flash, the lcd screen will blink. Once the flash charges, it will stay solid. It will not alter your shutter in anyway but, will allow you to adjust the shutter up to the max sync of 180 and no more just like the built in flash if you pop it up. With the ricoh module, you can't get to the 180 shutter since it will hump from 160 -> 200. So, your max sync is 160. Also, lcd screen will blink regardless the charge state of the flash.

I got 555 mostly for goofing. I was able to find the sunpak optical slave cheap so, I have that hooked up to 555 as a slave. The 36dx is on the hotshoe. I also have a std module in case I want the 36DX off camera on optical slave. I don't think I ever want to carry the 555 around as main flash since it is huge and heavy. But it is powerful to act as fill on a tripod stand with bouncing and whatnot.

The few pics I took to make sure parts are working turn out OK. No shadows or anything. I need to build some sort of diffuser for both to soften the bounce even more I think.

So, in conclusion, it is pretty nice that the pentax specific module will work to some degree with the k-x and allows max sync speed. It is also a pleasent surprise that the trigger is down to < 6V which seems to be universally agreed to be 100% safe. The ricoh though functioning as designed, has the side effect of slightly higher 11v trigger that some may not find acceptable. I am OK with 11v I think. Prior to the new module, I took about 100+ expsure with the ricoh module, knock on wood, the camera/hot shoe is still functioning.

the 555 btw, has the default trigger of 5.4v and with the ricoh module, it is 2.6 - 2.7v

01-07-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The good thing is that you are getting better and better with flash. The bad thing is that if you're like me, you'll want to try even more. And before you know it, you have 10 different flash units in you paws

As you found out, the PT-1D and PT-2D have some interface with the current batch of Pentax DSLRs (as do the Pentax flashes AF200T, AF280T, and AF400T). For sure they can tell the camera body that the flash is ready and in some modes set the camera's shutter speed. They may even set appropriate aperture in some cases.

About the LCD's blinking - I don't have the K-x, but my guess is that the K-x's LCD will blink if the exposure setting in M mode is not "correct" (this has nothing to do with the flash). With Pentax-dedicated module, when the flash is not ready, the set exposure will result in under-exposure. So the LCD blinks. When the flash is ready, the camera knows that there is a flash attached, so it stops the blinking.

With Ricoh-dedicated module, there is no communication between the flash and the camera, so the camera doesn't know the flash is there, ready or not, and thus the LCD is always blinking.

About flash diffusers, you can make them real cheap. Don't buy any expensive (read: more than $5) diffuser until trying out your DIY versions. Read:

This thread.

This thread (my post is on page 2).