Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ND grads.

Looking to get some ND grads and was wondering if anyone has any ideas about the best types and brands? I beleive the square types are easier to use and that Cokin are a good brand but thats about the limit of my knowledge! Also how will they go with an UWA lens (Sigma 10-20). There will be times when I will want to use say an ND 4 grad with my ND 8, is this going to cause major vignetting?

01-11-2010, 05:54 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
Looking to get some ND grads and was wondering if anyone has any ideas about the best types and brands? I beleive the square types are easier to use and that Cokin are a good brand but thats about the limit of my knowledge! Also how will they go with an UWA lens (Sigma 10-20). There will be times when I will want to use say an ND 4 grad with my ND 8, is this going to cause major vignetting?
Cokin system is great. I would advice you to skip the Cokin brand of GND filters and get the Hitech ones for performance and value. If you are loaded and then singh-rays etc are even better.

The Cokin-P system with the wide angle holder will allow for one GND filter to be used with the holder without vignetting at 10mm. At 12mm on you can use more. You need to go to the larger system (Z or X) for stacking filters at 10mm, then the system will be bulky. Also, if you are planning to use CP's with it, the CP filter for the Z system is extremely expensive.
01-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

There are also screw-in types of varying quality.
I've tried Marumi grad NDs and have been pleased with their results.
They're rare, though.
01-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
D W
Veteran Member

Hitech has a line which fits in the Cokin P holder. You need the single slot wide holder.

OR

Look for Hitect or Lee in 4 inch size if you need to use multiple filters on UWA lenses.

01-11-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks fellas I think I might have to get into a camera store and have a look at the various options, don't think I'll risk buying online wihtout having a clear idea of what i'm getting!