Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2010, 07:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Inexpensive L-Bracket option?

I have been thinking about picking up an L-bracket to use with my ballhead - since there are few Pentax-specific options available (none of K-x and no longer available for K20/grip) I haven't been looking too hard as the only option are generic L brackets (most of which run upwards of the price of camera-specific plates). I was casually looking last night and found this:

Amazon.com: Orion Dovetail L-Bracket for VersaGo Mount: Electronics

Reading the specs it is using a 1/4"-20 screw, the same as the standard tripod mount. Since the mount bracket is a screw-in thread, it appears it could be removed and replaced with a standard plate mounting screw. I know Orion is one of the largest telescope manufacturers and have no doubt this is a quality piece of equipment (and since it is designed to hold telescopes, a camera/lens shouldn't be a problem weight-wise). I would have to get the dovetail dimensions from the manufacturer before purchasing, hopefully they would provide them.

I figure for $40/shipped it is worth a try - any other thoughts?

01-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I have been thinking about picking up an L-bracket to use with my ballhead - since there are few Pentax-specific options available (none of K-x and no longer available for K20/grip) I haven't been looking too hard as the only option are generic L brackets (most of which run upwards of the price of camera-specific plates). I was casually looking last night and found this:

Amazon.com: Orion Dovetail L-Bracket for VersaGo Mount: Electronics

Reading the specs it is using a 1/4"-20 screw, the same as the standard tripod mount. Since the mount bracket is a screw-in thread, it appears it could be removed and replaced with a standard plate mounting screw. I know Orion is one of the largest telescope manufacturers and have no doubt this is a quality piece of equipment (and since it is designed to hold telescopes, a camera/lens shouldn't be a problem weight-wise). I would have to get the dovetail dimensions from the manufacturer before purchasing, hopefully they would provide them.

Well, somewhere, doubtless long scrolled into back pages, I think we talked a lot about L-bracket options for K20d's...

I wonder if, for the K-X, something generic (Or made for another camera no one much uses anymore) might not do: teeny little thing like that probably just doesn't need immensely- beefy support? )
01-11-2010, 09:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah I remember the discussion.

ReallyRightStuff make an L-plate for the K20 without grip - they used to make a k10/grip L-plate, which was discontinued at some point. Universal options from Kirk and RRS both run over $100, I watched a Novoflex universal L-plate on ebay go over $90 on ebay over the weekend.

Not much to debate here I suppose - I will email the company for the specs (which I can't find anywhere), to see if it makes sense to even bother trying.
01-11-2010, 09:48 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would be very interested in your findings as I was thinking about an L bracket for my K20 w/ grip. I gave up looking after seeing how expensive they were.

01-11-2010, 10:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gsrokmix Quote
I would be very interested in your findings as I was thinking about an L bracket for my K20 w/ grip. I gave up looking after seeing how expensive they were.
I think the K10d+grip one actually was supposed to have only one minor incompatibility, too, (Minor unless you need to open the side door for something, I guess?)

I think I had decided that if I were to worry about it, I'd be best off with a biggish straight L-bracket for the *tripod* and regular plates for the cameras.. A bulkier arrangement, but I'd only need one of them. Between the different film formats and the digital, it seems to make sense for me, anyway.
01-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Haha, not that an L-plate already isn't overkill enough....I don't want to get into a setup with a ballhead, clamp, L-Plate with another clamp, then plates for the cameras...that is just too much for me!

I am in the processing of considering downsizing, as alot of my stuff isn't seeing much use - it is just hard to put a finger on what you need and what you can live without. I have a GF1 on the way as well, and might just get the L-bracket for it instead (slightly less expensive, and will need a plate for it anyway). There is a good chance I might part with my K20 anyway when the GF1 arrives. I am going to hold onto the grip on the off chance there is a K20 successor though. Ultimately I would love to see a K20 successor w/K-x sensor, and end up with the next Kx0D camera and a GF1 as my setup.

Ok, where did all that come from?
01-11-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Haha, not that an L-plate already isn't overkill enough....I don't want to get into a setup with a ballhead, clamp, L-Plate with another clamp, then plates for the cameras...that is just too much for me!

I am in the processing of considering downsizing, as alot of my stuff isn't seeing much use - it is just hard to put a finger on what you need and what you can live without. I have a GF1 on the way as well, and might just get the L-bracket for it instead (slightly less expensive, and will need a plate for it anyway). There is a good chance I might part with my K20 anyway when the GF1 arrives. I am going to hold onto the grip on the off chance there is a K20 successor though. Ultimately I would love to see a K20 successor w/K-x sensor, and end up with the next Kx0D camera and a GF1 as my setup.

Ok, where did all that come from?
I dunno, but I wouldn't let an angle bracket scare me into m4/3

Actually, though, I do wonder what the chances might be an L-plate for the Lumix might also fit the K-x, whatever you end up with. These are small cameras.

01-11-2010, 01:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I dunno, but I wouldn't let an angle bracket scare me into m4/3
Haha, it didn't quite go like that!

I found I really like the small size of the K-x. I was casually reading the online photographer column, and their recent GF1 reviews piqued my interest. I happen to get a corporate discount with panasonic through my work (the panasonic epp program it is called). For fun, I checked the price thinking it would be 10% off, something token (even 10 on a camera selling as well as the GF1 wouldve been a surprise). I logged in to find the GF1/20mm pancake listed at $648, closer to 30% off - it took a few days, but I decided at that price I could give it a whirl. I never know what I want to take with me, and find I don't have my camera when a scene presents itself...so I am hoping the GF1/20mm fits the bill of 'the best camera is the one you have with you' when I haven't brought along the (ahem) bulkier K-x!

Now that I've hijacked my own thread...I will leave it at that.
01-11-2010, 02:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

This L-bracket won't make you happy, I assume, as you can't simply mount it to your tripod. It has a special profile, which can only be slotted into Orion's Versa Mount. I did not look-up the sizes, But I would be surprised if it fits any of the standard Arca-compatible QR systems. And as it is an extruded profile, it is not massive and you can't simply drill and tap an 1/4-inch thread. So you have to add two mounting plates to that L-bracket somehow and then you end up with a price not so far off a readily available solution, for example: Amazon.com: Manfrotto 341 Junior Elbow Bracket with 1/4-Inch -20 Screw Fits Heads with 200PL 14 plate: Camera & Photo

I use the bigger brother with the hexagonal QR for my 4x5-inch press camera, but otherwise have no need for an L-bracket.

Ben
01-11-2010, 03:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I wasn't intending to attach this directly to my tripod, but rather use with my photocalm ballhead - it is the usual arca dovetail design, with the following specs (forgive the inches, couldn't find a tape measure with both!).

1 5/16" - 1 1/2" closed and 1 1/2" - 1 13/16" open.

Alittle more eyeballing it and I think you may be right on the dovetail specs (i.e. too wide/large for standard camera ballhead dovetails). I will have to email them prior to purchase to get the dovetail specs.
01-11-2010, 03:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just talked with a tech support rep at Orion - said it is 37mm on the small side and 43mm on the large side of the dovetail - it would be a tight fit!
01-12-2010, 11:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Just talked with a tech support rep at Orion - said it is 37mm on the small side and 43mm on the large side of the dovetail - it would be a tight fit!
Well, as long as it fits. I still miss living up the street from a relatively-friendly-to-small customers machine shop. I hope when we settle down, I can at least get hold of some kind of drill press: if my photographic stylings don't go over big, at least I can make a little custom bracketry and stuff.
01-12-2010, 11:52 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I've got one of these to match with a tripod head. It works quite well with my K10D & DA* 50-135.

Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 340 Elbow Bracket with | 340 | B&H
01-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Jack, unless I'm missing something that is a manfrotto hex mount, not the universal dovetail design (of markins, arca, kirk, photoclam).
01-12-2010, 12:10 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Paul,
Yes, of course you are right. I was just adding a different option that I can attest to.