Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2010, 01:58 PM   #1

m42 adapter for Pentax ist *DL

I posted this in the wanted section, but if no one has one I'm interested in picking one up from ebay and was wondering what the best brand would be or best type.

Okay so the short story goes my dad used to be an avid photographer. Now that he's not so much I have all of his older SLR equipment. I've come into possession of some really nice lenses and am looking for adapters to make user of these lenses.

So what I need as an adapter for the lenses to my ist *DL.

The lenses are all vivitar lenses and the original camera they are from is the Olympus OM-1.

Thanks in advance!

01-11-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Are the Vivitar Lenses K Mount or Threaded?
01-11-2010, 04:56 PM   #3

Original Poster
As far as I can tell they are not K mounts. I know tihs because they will not fit my camera.

Here is the original camera:

Olympus OM-1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's at my house right now. I'm not at the same location of the camera and or lenses, but I can take a picture of the lenses if that would help. Someone I know said that he believed that the olympus is old enough to have the m42 style lenses.
01-11-2010, 05:02 PM   #4

Original Poster
As far as I can tell, the first one in this list is one of the lenses I have at home.

Vivitar 70-210 Series 1 Macro Zoom Lenses - Mark Roberts Photography

It's a series 1 70-210mm with a Macro. Not sure if that will help at all.

01-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Olympus OM mount is not particularly compatible with Pentax, (Or current Olympus cameras, either, though not worth fussing over the kinda-sorta solution just for some Vivitars) ) but both are, IIRC, reasonably-compatible with M42 screwmount lenses (different adapters for each would be involved.)

If the lenses are made for Olympus, your father has wonderful lenses for old Olympus cameras. (Lovable, if you like film. I surely do, and those are nice. )

If they (or some) are screwmount lenses he adapted to Olympus, then you can as easily adapt them to Pentax. Otherwise, either put em on an Olympus film body, or trade em for something that'll better fit Pentax stuff.
01-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #6

Original Poster
That's what I was afraid of. I've been looking at 42mm thread mount lenses and it's not that.

The lenses are made for Olympus. That I'm sure of.

Well I will keep them and use them on the Olympus OM-1 body that I have. I do love shooting with actual film and the whole reason I brought the Olympus home was because I found some black and white film in my closet that is unused.

Look like I'll be taking them out and shooting some with them. Cannot wait. Only problem I had is for some reason the 70-210mm doesn't want to fit on my Olympus body even though I know that's what it was made for.

I'll have to mess with it later on.