Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AF-540 wireless HSS

The book says it can do wireless HSS using the built-in flash, page 46 of the 540 manual. On page 47, step 4 it says "Enable the built-in flash unit of the camera and display WHS on the LCD panel".

Huh? I don't see a WHS option there on my K-7, and can't recall it on the K20D. As soon as I put the flash up on the camera, set to wireless, I can't get past 1/180th. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Or are they lying?

01-11-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Not sure about the manual, but if you want wireless high-speed flash, you'll have to use a 360 or a 540 as the control flash. The built-in flash does not have that capability.
01-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
Pentaxian

This was something I noticed when looking at a discussion on the *istD. It was pointed out that it is the only DSLR that can do HSS wireless with the internal flash.

I was not sure so I tried it. It seems that HSS is not possible with the internal flash on the later models.

If it is the manuals I will go back and check and maybe se shoudl drop pentax a nice little note advising them of a product defect. But someone has to point it out in a manual later than *istD.

But note, the AF 540 FGZ was developed for the *istD, which can, as I point out do HSS wireless. This is a problem with compatibility. When manuals are written they don't know what designers are going to do on future equpment
01-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Okay thanks guys. It seems weird that Pentax would develop this wireless HSS for one camera, then disable it for later ones! Must've wanted to sell more flashes.

01-12-2010, 08:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Okay thanks guys. It seems weird that Pentax would develop this wireless HSS for one camera, then disable it for later ones! Must've wanted to sell more flashes.
Or it's a cost-savings of some sort. But yeah, definitely weird.
01-28-2010, 04:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Okay,

I am still confused..

If I have (1) 540 & (1) 360, can I get HSS?

It seems i need to mount one of them in the camera. Does the one mounted work ONLY as control or can it participate in the exposure?? It kind of sucks if i waste the 360 only for control purposes..

And last question: if i buy a second 540, can i use BOTH 540 (and the 360 mounted as control) in HSS mode? or in other words, could i use two external flashes in HSS?

Thanks again guys

BB
06-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #7

For the 360 flash in wireless HSS

Hi,
This is a late reply to the question from the previous poster but I am relatively new to the forum. I got wireless HSS to work using two Pentax 360 flashes. It worked using the following procedure. There may be others that work as well. One flash needs to be on the camera. This flash is set to PTTL, the flash set to HSS, set to wireless mode and set to 'c' command mode. The second off camera flash can be placed where you wish within reason from the on camera flash. The second flash is set to PTTL, the flash set to HSS, set to wireless mode and set to "s" slave.
Needing two flashes sucks, no doubt about it. But if you already have two, the loss is not so great. The key fact is that the range of the flash in HSS mode is very short. Therefore if your subject is just a short distance from the camera, the flash on the camera is not going to contribute to the exposure anyway. Also, the second flash that is off camera needs to be placed very close to the subject to provide any light. So why would you bother?
This could be useful if you want to take a portrait photo in daylight and the background is especially crap. You can use larger apertures such as f/2.8 and shutter speeds that exceed 1/180 to darken the scene. For example with shutter speeds of 1/2000 (need to adjust according to your scene) most of the picture should be dark (depends upon the sun light), the background out of focus, while still some flash illumination on your subject.
A bit of a hassle, but still kind of kewl.
06-13-2012, 12:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

wow this is an old thread. I think the OP already sold his kit and went to Nikon

Yes you can do that as you described.
It's the the built in flash that is the limitation for optical wireless trigger.

Alternatively you can use the TTL cables to do off camera HSS. I just picked up some nice 9ft cables from the marketplace here specifically for that.

or Alternatively again..... you can use ND filters on your lens to cut the ambient light which then might enable to to shoot wide open in brighter light and keep under the 1/180 sync speed and utilise up to full power on the flash. This was you can still trigger with the buil in flash.