Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2007, 10:21 PM   #1
Inactive Account

How to attach lens hood?

I'm shooting an outdoor wedding on Saturday, and I've had a few shots ruined in the past by stray light and flare, which I think could be stopped with a simple lens hood. I've got a 135 f2.8 prime I'm fond of, and I'd like to get a hood for it. 55mm threads, I believe.

How do hoods attach to lenses? I'm also looking at an 81 or 81A warming filter, perchance. Can anyone provide photos to show me? I'll go to the store tomorrow, but I don't trust the people at the store to know what they are doing. For example, they always tell me I don't know what I'm talking about when I complain they don't have any Kmount rear lens caps. They have, Ithink, a P or S rear cap that kind of fits if you push hard...they aren't a super Pentax friendly shop, most of the employees are 60+ and don't even have hte greatest eyesight.....so I'd really like to know more about lens hoods so I can find what I need at the store myself.

Thanks!

06-21-2007, 10:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JahJahwarrior Quote
I'm shooting an outdoor wedding on Saturday, and I've had a few shots ruined in the past by stray light and flare, which I think could be stopped with a simple lens hood. I've got a 135 f2.8 prime I'm fond of, and I'd like to get a hood for it. 55mm threads, I believe.

How do hoods attach to lenses? I'm also looking at an 81 or 81A warming filter, perchance. Can anyone provide photos to show me? I'll go to the store tomorrow, but I don't trust the people at the store to know what they are doing. For example, they always tell me I don't know what I'm talking about when I complain they don't have any Kmount rear lens caps. They have, Ithink, a P or S rear cap that kind of fits if you push hard...they aren't a super Pentax friendly shop, most of the employees are 60+ and don't even have hte greatest eyesight.....so I'd really like to know more about lens hoods so I can find what I need at the store myself.

Thanks!
Generic ones screw on like a filter. Specific ones normally have about 1/4 turn and click into place (bayonet, like the lens).
06-22-2007, 07:22 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You can just buy a rubber lens screw-on hood for a few dollars. I've got metal and rubber varieties. They both accomplish the same thing but I prefer the metal ones, as they provide a slight bit more protection in case I drop the camera (I'll admit it's mostly a psychological feeling).

As far as a warming filter goes, a Tiffen 812 filter is great for bringing out nice skin tones, it's somewhere between a 81a and 81b (if I remember correctly). I would get the 812 if one is available, but get a 81a/kr1.5 at a minimum. Obviously you can achieve warmer images if you shoot in RAW and not bother with a warming filter at all.

A last filter suggestion. A black net filter will help make older people look a few years younger as wrinkles get smoothed out in a subtle but effective way. It has no real effect on younger people.
06-22-2007, 12:01 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Alright, found a cheap screw on rubber one Seems to work well, good purchase in my mind. Also got a Promaster 81A.

I don't have a convenient way to convert to .jpg, I'd have to do every single file individually in gimp, and I don't want to do that. Additionally, I have no RAW experience, so I'll probably shoot this wedding in .jpg.

Never heard of a "black net" filter. Is it anything like a promist? I've used promists on a videocamera, they help with contrast and whatnot, nice filter.

I'll be going back by the store this afternoon, I might swing in and pickup a step up ring so I can use the filter and hood on my 50 and 28, which both use 52mm threads.