Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2010, 09:03 AM   #1
Forum Member

yet another focus screen question

Hi,

I read through all the focus screen threads I can find. The public seems to point to that the ebay screen (jinfinance) darkens post f4...etc there are exceptions for some that don't experience this effect. I did some searching and find that jinfinance claims that their screen is a cut down k1000 screen. the k1000 seems to be a well loved camera here. Can someone confirm this?

I am about the plunk down on a screen from taiwan, but, why spend more if the k1000 screen would do for k-x.

I have yet to find comparisons between jinfinace/taiwan/katzeye with optibright comparison. I know it is an expensive endeavor for one person to own all 3 kinds. But, it is hard to decide with out more info.

thanks

01-13-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I own a few different screens and can say definitively that the JinFinance screens, although perfectly adequate with standard and fast lenses are just darker than the Nikon K3 and Canon Ec-B based screens.

The other thing I have observed is that the JinFinance is not quite as well made as the screens from FocusingScreens.com. I have no experience with KatzEye.
01-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks. I appreciate your thread on the focus screen comparsions. I was suprised that your ebay screen has that weird black line through the split screen if it is indeed an original k1000 screen cut down.

Do you know if the screen from taiwan come with shims? If not, how do I make my own? I am leaning towards that since it is middle of the road in terms of $$ cost.

Thanks
01-13-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
Forum Member

I got the jinfinance diagonal split focusing screen a few months ago and I liked it.
It fits fine in the camera and makes easyer to focus. But a decided to replace it with the original K20D screen again because it is a brighter screen. It is a compromise you have to make. I can focus manualy even in low light with some precision and at this moment I prefer to have a brighter viewfinder (but I do take more time to focus). Conclusion: for the price I payed I consider the jinfinance good. If you want the best and brighter screen I suppose you have to pay a lot more

01-13-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Here is a site I used when I started.
greyhoundman's ramblings: October 2006

I've made half a dozen from ME Super and FX 2000 screens.
01-14-2010, 03:00 AM   #6

I've had the katzeye with optibright on my K10D for quite a while, and have recently purchased the Canon Ec-L (cross grid) for my K-7 from Taiwan (focusingscreen.com).

I just did a quick comparison of the two at f4 into a reasonably dark area. The overall view is clearly brighter with the katzeye. However, the actual "split prism" portion of the two (the little circle doohicky in the middle) is roughly equal in brightness, with the edge possibly going to the Canon Ec-L. Although this is hardly a scientific test (being different cameras and all).

As an aside, I was very happy with the focusingscreen service. I was having a little trouble getting the focus exactly aligned with the provided shims (mostly my own ignorance at the time in all honesty - and yes, shims are provided), but the fellow from focusingscreen sent me out several calibration shims of varying thickness free of charge. I now have my focusing screen perfectly aligned, as tested at macro ranges.
01-14-2010, 05:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
im pretty happy with generic ebay screen, but i dont have slow glass.

01-15-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your input. I have decided to go with the screen from taiwan. They only have the k3 one instock so that's the one I got. I went for the one with grids too. overall, just shy of 100. it is 23% of the cost of the k-x. I hope it is worth the cost.

My manual glass is all 2.8 and faster (all used m42 mount). I hope this is good enough to do indoor stuff. I now need to find threads on adjusting focus.

thanks!
01-26-2010, 09:07 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Got my k3 screen from taiwan. I chose the k3 since they don't have any canon screen in stock. I went all out and got the grid line version.

ordered on 14th, shipped on 19th, got it today 26th.

The screen manufacture isn't the best as I had hoped. It already has marks and smudges before it is even out of the package.

Package came with 2 shims

dimentions:

pentax k-x screen 1.35 mm
pentax copper shim 0.35mm
plastic shim in package(1) 0.14mm
plastic shim in package(2) 0.15mm
the k3 screen 1.56mm

The trouble shoot instruction from taiwan is backwards for k3 I think. I installed with tab away from grip just like the factory screen. With factory shim, I get "front focus" according to the web site. I proceed to remove the shim, I get even more "front focus"... long story short, I must have installed and uninstall to play with shims 10+ times.

I am settling with both taiwan shim and screen so it is a complete swap. I am too tired to deal with the 2 largish dust pieces right now since it will require take it apart and clean screen and reinstall.

The focus is much easier now for me though I did start to get good with stock screen. It is dimmer than stock for sure. With good light (next to a lamp at night) I can still focus up to about f8. I can focus more reliabliy in low light with split screen. In dark dark situations, I still can't do much since the screen is just too dim.

center weight metering remains pretty much the same as stock. I never used spot so I can't comment. I am hoping matrix will be ok too.