Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-28-2010, 09:47 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I probably wouldn't let the monopod-leg be a deciding factor: it's the kind of thing that may well come in handy once in a while, say, while traveling, but you'll probably want a dedicated monopod, anyway: it's probably neither a wonderful monopod (That you'd have to see for yourself: could be nice, but you may find it shorter than you like, etc) nor something you likely want to subject to the extra wear and tear or possible loss or damage: you'd effectively lose the use of the whole set of legs if anything befell that monopod-leg.

Not to say it does any harm to have it, (I'd probably want to err on the side of simpler construction, but as long as it attaches firmly.. Edit: Having a peek at the website again, it does look as though it does indeed attach well. Like with a big pipe thread, not the camera screw. Very good. Also, it looks like you add the center column to the leg as well, so it should be plenty tall enough, just maybe not as compact when folded as it could be. ) ...just that, like I said, you'll probably end up wanting to get a dedicated monopod, anyway, if you use it a lot. Those aren't very expensive.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 01-28-2010 at 10:11 AM.
01-30-2010, 10:58 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have one of Horusbennus tripods. But not the new one with detachable monopod leg. This kind is the one I own:

Best Traveler Tripod (Neo-1128T)+Smart Ball-head(LX-1T) - eBay (item 320371019748 end time Feb-07-10 04:13:26 PST)

I'm pleased with it. The quality is good, and the price is low. My only concern is that I would have to have a larger one, I don't think its high enough. But on the other hand... its a traveler tripod and a small one
01-30-2010, 02:41 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cofra Quote
I have one of Horusbennus tripods. But not the new one with detachable monopod leg. This kind is the one I own:

Best Traveler Tripod (Neo-1128T)+Smart Ball-head(LX-1T) - eBay (item 320371019748 end time Feb-07-10 04:13:26 PST)

I'm pleased with it. The quality is good, and the price is low. My only concern is that I would have to have a larger one, I don't think its high enough. But on the other hand... its a traveler tripod and a small one
Ah, here's someone with one. I was actually wondering if those legs are anti-twist: it looks like they are. (ie, such that the sections don't turn when you loosen the locks.)

I have that mystery-monopod possibly made by these guys with locks that look like that: unfortunately, it lacks this feature. Nice and strong, though: I had to use it about half-unfolded for a cane once (Not my first choice of thing to do with a bargain monopod! ) and they held OK. Came with a bit too much lubricant in them, initially, but that cleaned up fine.

How's the head on those things? I think our original poster is going for different legs, anyway.
02-04-2010, 01:21 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Ah, here's someone with one. I was actually wondering if those legs are anti-twist: it looks like they are. (ie, such that the sections don't turn when you loosen the locks.)

I have that mystery-monopod possibly made by these guys with locks that look like that: unfortunately, it lacks this feature. Nice and strong, though: I had to use it about half-unfolded for a cane once (Not my first choice of thing to do with a bargain monopod! ) and they held OK. Came with a bit too much lubricant in them, initially, but that cleaned up fine.

How's the head on those things? I think our original poster is going for different legs, anyway.
The head is better then the money paid for it. It's a bit small so the only thing I could possible complain about is that the plate lock screw ends up kind of underneath the camera and is a bit fiddly to loosen. But still recommended. For the given price... I would still buy the same tripod. Of course I have not owned it for long... so I guess the long-term quality will show in the future.

02-24-2010, 02:08 AM   #20

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Well after few weeks of reading considering pros and cons, I've finally ordered a Benro C-297 Flexpod.

I hope I'll receive by next week, then I'll post a comment on it.

Thanks to all.
09-20-2010, 10:45 PM   #21

Photos: Gallery
I have bought Horusbennu LX-1T ballhead, I´m very satisfied with quality, price and stability. It is kind of small ballhead, I use it with Benro A-350EX tripod.
But it is good enough to bear Pentax K-7 with Sigma 100-300/4 EX.
04-04-2011, 02:07 AM   #22

Horusbennu 747T tripod

And recently I have bought HorusBennu Tripod 7477 , traveller, legs can be reverted and I´m also very satisfied.
Tripod is light and relatively stable - when not raised to full length, it has detachable center column for macro work, legs are ended with spikes, what is perfect in winter.

This tripod is perfect for travelling and trekking in the mountains, where I usually do not need to take pictures with fully extended legs on tripod.

more pictures here:

Gmarket - HorusBennu 747T Traveler SLR DSLR Camera Tripod + LX-1T Ball Hea...

Last edited by therion; 04-04-2011 at 02:13 AM.
05-23-2011, 04:51 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I know this thread is old, but does anyone happen to have the "C-2540 Carbon Fiber Tripod" by this company? Looking for some info on the build quality of these things, a review on the build quality on any of the horusbennu tripods would be helpful...

Thanks
05-23-2011, 06:13 PM   #24

I don't have C-2540, but I have C-1530 like the OP. The tripod itself is very nice, it's not very heavy but it's sturdy, the locks in the leg also very good, not the cheap easily break kind (been there done that). I think C-2540 legs have similar kind of lock. The 7X Carbon is certainly not just a gimmick, it's sturdy and (relatively) lightweight.

Regarding the monopod conversion, it's cool but it's just too short.. when converted to monopod the maximum height is only about 150mm. My height is 175cm so it's not comfortable for me. I ended up using a 10cm center pole part of a broken tripod as an extension to the monopod, add 5cm-ish of the tripod head and the K20D height, then it's perfect for my height. But this does mean I have to bring around the extra pole when I need to use it as monopod.

I checked the ads for C-2540, they say as monopod it's higher than C-1530, but didn't say for how much.

Now for the head, I have LX-3 head (red color). It looks very professional, shiny and all. The ball is also very smooth, basically it's good no complain here. But not so with the quick release plate. It's the dovetail kind, and when locked, there is still possible for sideway movement (possible to slide the plate sideway by force or weight). There is a lock to prevent this but it's not very good one, it's still possible to move like for example when you have the camera in portrait orientation, due to the weight of camera plus lens.

Once I checked my friend's tripod, his is also a third party brand similar like Horusbennu (but I don't remember exact name). His release plate is better than Horusbennu, the sliding lock is very firm, there is no sideway movements at all.

I'm not sure my explanation about the head is clear enough so do ask if it's not clear. Hope it helps!

Last edited by sajah; 05-23-2011 at 06:27 PM. Reason: found out C-2540 leg lock similar to C-1530
05-23-2011, 06:20 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Yes, it was a clear explanation

The head is my main concern and I think that tripod has the same head as you have.
05-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #26

Just found out that my pretty new Slik broke ;(

I'm considering HORUSBENNU C-2540TM. Any experiences/reviews?
06-24-2016, 01:44 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by junototoro Quote
Just found out that my pretty new Slik broke ;(

I'm considering HORUSBENNU C-2540TM. Any experiences/reviews?
I know this is an old thread, still I wanted to get some info. It would be my first tripod and with the cost benefit comparison, I came upon this one, 2540C with LX-3T ballhead

How was it?
07-04-2016, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aritra Quote
I know this is an old thread, still I wanted to get some info. It would be my first tripod and with the cost benefit comparison, I came upon this one, 2540C with LX-3T ballhead

How was it?
The legs are pretty good, but the bundled ball head is crap. It will only be adequate if you just put very light gear on top, and never try to use any tension on the ball (so you can leave it locked but still reposition the camera). Horusbennu used to bundle some with KPS ball heads, which are excellent, but not anymore, it seems.