Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You'll definitely need to buy camera insurance when you buy this tripod...

01-18-2010, 08:01 PM   #17
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This actually looks like it might be handy in my Yashica 124 bag. Light camera and waist-level finder so the height would be not bad. Hmmm......
01-18-2010, 11:29 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Here is the youtube clip with a Pentax DSLR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVmH43T1vv4

Here is the pop photo review

PopPhoto Flash: New Gear: Tamrac ZipShot Tripod
Obviously the size, volume and weight of this tripod is great. I've got too many tents not to recognize the tent poles that make up the legs. Tent poles are surprisingly strong and they can be bent an enormous amount before they plastically deform.

If there is a weak point, its the connection point of the legs to the ball head. Looks like the ball head is pinned to each one of the legs with some sort of pin. Periodically inspect that joint, if its showing signs of looseness or pin distortion/pull-out, thats the time to get real nervous. I'd also like to hang some weight from the tripod, but without looking at it, hard to say how sensible that is.

Anyway, looking forward to feedback from you - thanks for trying it out.
01-19-2010, 06:52 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Obviously the size, volume and weight of this tripod is great. I've got too many tents not to recognize the tent poles that make up the legs. Tent poles are surprisingly strong and they can be bent an enormous amount before they plastically deform.

If there is a weak point, its the connection point of the legs to the ball head. Looks like the ball head is pinned to each one of the legs with some sort of pin. Periodically inspect that joint, if its showing signs of looseness or pin distortion/pull-out, thats the time to get real nervous. I'd also like to hang some weight from the tripod, but without looking at it, hard to say how sensible that is.

Anyway, looking forward to feedback from you - thanks for trying it out.
This is exactly my thoughts looking at the pictures. I also am not too sure of the ball head area, where the plastic may crack from those pin attachment areas and fall apart. otherwise, if used within it's limitations, I don't see a problem.

01-19-2010, 07:07 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm quite tempted - let us know what you think?

cheers
01-19-2010, 07:18 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Mickey,

But, I don't see how it would be a problem though ?, it will be sturdier I question this than a monopod (as in less shake over long exposures), and less bulky. Even with a monopod I have to be next to it, infact holding it. With this I just have to be next to it to catch it, if it falls. I hope you have the reflexes of a trained athlete - preferably a ping pong player Other than that, with a remote or timer, be able to easily use it for long exposures, may be even up to a second.Providing there is no wind.
It seems to be rather short. Looking through the eye level viewfinder of a SLR is going to be hard on the back.
I really think there is always a compromise between weight and sturdiness. Which one you are willing to give up and how much of either you are willing to sacrifice has to be an individual choice.

I am definitely getting one.......for night shots, scenery over a hike etc....
I do hope it meets your needs and expectations.

Mickey
01-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #22
Veteran Member

The shortness of the tripod really suggests that you'll need a right angle finder. I've been using my tripods collapsed with the right angle finder just to increase stability for awhile. I carry the right angle finder anyway as is comes in handy for low angle hand holding as well.

The other thing I've been wondering about is, why not use the tripod with a monopod? I was thinking a small piece of aluminum flat stock between whatever you have on the monopod for a head and the ball-head on the tripod would work. The idea would be for the monopod to hold the weight of the camera and the tripod to keep the monopod upright. A little angle on the tripod ball-head would put the monopod at an angle to be the forth point in a diamond leg layout, or maybe just have the monpod straight up and down to hold all the weight of the camera?

How about the monopod under the tripod? Maybe a wooden ball on the monopod with grooves in the wood for the legs to fit into would work as well. Again the monopod would be holding the camera weight vertically from under the tripod, with the tripod only keeping the monopod from tipping.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 01-19-2010 at 12:41 PM.
01-19-2010, 01:24 PM   #23
Veteran Member

" The other thing I've been wondering about is, why not use the tripod with a monopod? I was thinking a small piece of aluminum flat stock between whatever you have on the monopod for a head and the ball-head on the tripod would work. The idea would be for the monopod to hold the weight of the camera and the tripod to keep the monopod upright. A little angle on the tripod ball-head would put the monopod at an angle to be the forth point in a diamond leg layout, or maybe just have the monpod straight up and down to hold all the weight of the camera?"

I suppose that would be called a quadropod. It might need a quadruped to carry it and set up time might be quadrupled.

A tripod would give much greater stability on uneven ground. That is why milking stools always have three legs.

Mickey (Ever the skeptic)
01-19-2010, 01:56 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
It might need a quadruped to carry it and set up time might be quadrupled.

A tripod would give much greater stability on uneven ground. That is why milking stools always have three legs.
You're really milking the negativity. Look we aren't stupid, we know a normal tripod will provide better support, OK. We all understood that the first time we saw the Zipshot. The issue isn't what is better, the issue is if the Zipshot is good enough and you can't answer that question without direct experience with the Zipshot. Do you have direct experience with the Zipshot?

Thank you
Russell
01-19-2010, 02:08 PM   #25

i feel this should be good enough for indoors and on even platforms.
but for outdoors, i guess not.
01-19-2010, 04:50 PM   #26
Veteran Member

"Do you have direct experience with the Zipshot?

Thank you
Russell"

NOPE.

Nor do I have direct experience with being kicked by a mule. But instinct and common sense tells me it would not be an enjoyable experience.

Mickey
01-19-2010, 06:00 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
NOPE.
OK, so now I know what to do with your opinions.

Thank you
Russell
01-19-2010, 06:01 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Russell,

Are you thinking of something like this?

Amazon.com: Trek-Tech TrekPod GO! Monopod/Tripod/Hiking Staff with MagMount STAR Ballhead, Pan and Tilt Head, and T-Pod with Storage Pouch: Camera & Photo

I've seen these trekpod varieties before, but I am not that interested in them. The Zipshot looks like what I've been wanting.......
01-19-2010, 07:32 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Hey, if I can have a *quadruped* I can have nearly any size tripod I like. I've considered getting a pack dog, to help carry my stuff around, and if he's named Gitzo, what can we say?

Maybe 'Gaffer.' That'd be a good name for a huskie.

You could be like, "Here, Gaffer!"
01-19-2010, 11:28 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
OK, so now I know what to do with your opinions.

Thank you
Russell
The Trash bin is somewhere on your monitor's screen.

Be my guest.

You are very welcome. Or in today's parlance - No problem.
Mickey