Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2010, 07:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Motor bike mount systems

Who's tried mounting their DSLRs to motorbikes and what systems have they used?
What are the pros and cons of the mounting systems that have been used?

01-17-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

there are a lot of bike camera mounts out there, as the courts find out when the riders have the video presented as evidence against them by the police!
01-17-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Manfrotto Superclamp + Magic Arm =

FYI, this is one situation where the light weight and large DOF of a small-sensor compact really come in handy. These shots were taken with a Ricoh GX100, one of the few small cameras on the market with an Intervalometer.
01-19-2010, 01:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm looking more for using the screen or triple clamp areas John, did spot a suction cup system called the gecko that was kind of tempting but might be more suited for mounting on cars.
Um Lloyd I am a more responsible road user. Any video I would make while riding would have me awarded model citizen and super safe road user prizes.
Someone here did a pretty whacky video using a fisheye which had me thinking about a casual ride through my CBD.

01-20-2010, 03:15 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Lloyd, they can't persecute him if they don't have his licence plate number jah?

Let us know how you go Johnno.. maybe some photos if you get set up. I guess the main problem with DLSR is the weight!
01-21-2010, 01:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Will do Carl, yep I'm none to keen on the mount letting go and me with one very broken camera and lens. The annoying side of what I found Googling is that there are no local distributors for the products that interested me most or appear most likely to do the job so I can't physically examine them.
01-21-2010, 05:30 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Maybe you can make one up yourself? I made one, (a mount), up from a plumbing fitting. It won't hold my DLSR, unfortunately, but does a half decent job holding a plastic FUJI bridge camera.. or any small camera for that matter.

Have a look at the product and see if you can try to replicate it. It can't be too involved can it? Pass on the link to me if you don't mind.. I would like to see the type of mount you are talking about. Cheers.

01-21-2010, 10:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's the mount, gone and bought it as the price is kind of cheap. I'll have to win a bid for either a Zenit with lens or Praktica with lens for testing purposes. No point putting the k20d on it till I know it will do the job.
Race Optics in-car and helmet camera accessories
01-22-2010, 02:35 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Wow.. that looks hardcore. Price is right.. good luck with it.

My mount was located up on the screen/front fairing frame bar so if it did fail it could be recovered. This would be instant catasrophe if it did let go.
01-22-2010, 04:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xjjohnno Quote
I'm looking more for using the screen or triple clamp areas John, did spot a suction cup system called the gecko that was kind of tempting but might be more suited for mounting on cars.
Um Lloyd I am a more responsible road user. Any video I would make while riding would have me awarded model citizen and super safe road user prizes.
Someone here did a pretty whacky video using a fisheye which had me thinking about a casual ride through my CBD.
I'm sure you are, but I know a guy who ended up in court and the video's he made and posted on Utube were used as evidence.

Here's the video of the Worlds fastest wheelie he did a while ago, but he got into trouble with some similar footage taken on the road! :ugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gsY0qVcj7k

I saw something on instructables the other night about making a camera fixing for the rear footpeg.

Instructables - Photography, Camera, Equipment, Tips & How To

It's in there somewhere along with all the other instructions on how to dissassemble a perfectly good camera and make a paper weight.
01-25-2010, 06:22 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lloydy I think it's a global thing re blokes getting nicked when they post their moments of glory on You Tube.
We had this nong get his fork lift confiscated/torn up after posting his stunt driving prowess.
One last issue I'm going to have after finding a decent mounting set up is deciding on whether to find a diopter/filter for FE on an el cheapo prime like the legendary Domiplan or risk stone chips come shattering my Samyang 8mm FE lens. The vids will be done in 50 kph speed zones with heaps of traffic lights and a high level of congestion
01-26-2010, 01:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Having had two new screens in a Subaru over three years from big stone chips I'd go for the "el cheapo" option!
02-24-2010, 05:16 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Ram mounts make mounts for everything from tricycles to flying saucers. I use them on both of my motorcycles.
I dont mount my k7 on either one, thats what the k100d and my cheap vid camera are for.