Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Stronger diopter correction lens

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have a couple of diopter corrections lens that fit over the eyepiece, for my old Super Program. It looks like even the new DSLR's use the "M-" covering cap, or rubber eyecup.

I need a correction lens a bit stronger, so I don't keep bumping my glasses into the viewfinder.

Has anyone had a stronger glass ( stronger than a -5) made into the available correction lens plastic piece??

01-17-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're right about them using the same eyepiece connection, and the cameras also have built-in diopter correction you can set, which might just stack up to enough with the things you already have.

We were *just* talking about stuff like this maybe a few weeks ago on another thread: my memory's letting me down about which one.

I gather that some folks also use a Nikon *magnifier* that fits: just possibly there are diopters that fit the same finders, which might be a bit more common.

Also there are are round eyepieces into which you might be able to fit simple round lenses a good optometrist could maybe make up.
01-17-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is the type of Pentax adapter that your optometrist fits a custom corrected piece of glass into - eBay

Pentax Correction Lens Adapter-M NIB

Here is a Pentax -5 Correction adpater in the UK on eBay

NEW Pentax smc correction lens -5

Here is the style of Nikon Adapter that fits, although it isn't the correct diopter for you

Nikon Correction Lens Adapter

Here is the comment on SMC Pentax Correction Lens Adapters from K-Mount Page. "These SMC-coated devices change the diopter rating of the viewfinder. There are eight lenses to fit the K-bodies (-5 to +3 diopters, in 1 diopter steps) and seven for the M bodies (-5 to +2 diopters, in 1 diopter steps)."

Pentax K-Mount Focusing Aids
12-03-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

i've been hunting for one of these to suit my prescription as well, (just simple reading glass but beyond the built in adaptor)

based on a thread i came across on DPR on user got one sent to him by Pentax for free about 8 months back

I sent Pentax Canada a query we'll see what kind of response i get from them

I own at this point 3 film and 3 digital bodies and it looks like the M covers them all except the SV
I did read some people have trouble with the Nikon fit on the K10D (one of my cameras)

I hope I get some positive feedback from Pentax on this one

Kind of surprises me they don't have them available where Nikon does (and presumably Canon as well) It sort of says to users of the brand sorry your eyes are getting worse, good luck with the next brand you buy

12-03-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dimeman Quote
I have a couple of diopter corrections lens that fit over the eyepiece, for my old Super Program. It looks like even the new DSLR's use the "M-" covering cap, or rubber eyecup.

I need a correction lens a bit stronger, so I don't keep bumping my glasses into the viewfinder.

Has anyone had a stronger glass ( stronger than a -5) made into the available correction lens plastic piece??
Maybe I am having a grey moment at present, but why do you need more than -5. Are you trying to use your camera without glasses?

My eyesight is -3.75 diopters in my right eye, and I gave up trying to focus without glasses because I was frustrated that I couldn't see anything beyond 25 feet when I moved the camera away.

I shoot wearing glasses, Have for 20 years, and have no issues with it.
12-03-2010, 11:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Maybe I am having a grey moment at present, but why do you need more than -5. Are you trying to use your camera without glasses?

My eyesight is -3.75 diopters in my right eye, and I gave up trying to focus without glasses because I was frustrated that I couldn't see anything beyond 25 feet when I moved the camera away.

I shoot wearing glasses, Have for 20 years, and have no issues with it.
this i understand, if i wore glasses for anything other than reading/computer work i would just live with it and get used to using my glasses when focusing
In my case i have to get the glasses out, then put them away it's frustrating to say the least
12-03-2010, 11:57 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
this i understand, if i wore glasses for anything other than reading/computer work i would just live with it and get used to using my glasses when focusing
In my case i have to get the glasses out, then put them away it's frustrating to say the least
I am quite the opposite, reading and computer work are the only time I don't wear glasses

12-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If anyone in Canada is looking they are stocked in the parts dept rather than being a retail accessory here is the response i got from Pentax Canada to my query - Price beats buying the magnifier by a large margin for those of you who wear reading glasses etc

"We have the correction Lens Adapter M-1, M-3 to M-5, M+1 & M+3. $26.00
ea.
It is currently in stock.
M-2 & M+2, out of stock.
plus shipping/handling $10.00 plus taxes,
if you would like to place the order please provide the following or
contact Pentax Canada Inc. at toll free 1800-461-6203 or local
905-286-5585 Ext 315
For payment we accept MC, Visa & Amex.

Name
Mailing address in Canada
Credit card # & expiry date