Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
Forum Member

Zeikos 75 inch tripod reviews?

Does anyone have any experience with this tripod?

Amazon.com: Zeikos ZE-TR125B 75-Inch Black Tripod (Black): Camera & Photo

Please share...thanks!

01-17-2010, 11:23 PM   #2
Damn Brit

At that price I might trust it with a P&S or a Flash. You have to ask yourself "Do I want to mount a $1000 dollar camera on a $40 tripod?".
I couldn't see anything in the description regarding weight-load and it doesn't pack down very small so would be inconvenient for travelling with and carrying.
01-18-2010, 08:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pretty much, ... if, as your name there implies, you're running a K7, you can and very likely should do a lot better, even if you don't spend too too big.

Tripods like that are the sort sold toward snapshooters and are sometimes bundled together in kits of cheap accessories: this one's sorta prettied up to look a bit like the style most of us here will use in one form or another, but you wouldn't want to be fooled, there. This is basically the descendant of what ends up being some pretty dubious yard-sale fare, pretty often.

The legs are potentially-sturdy enough for some uses, at least if not extended all the way, (and if they aren't, basically applying weight is usually the low-rent solution, ) though as Gary mentioned, something like these is a lot bigger to lug around than it needs to be.

The real deal-killer is that a lot of those cheap quick releases can simply fail, (No way to inspect that one from here.) and you don't want that happening at the wrong time: and sometimes they just won't hold tightly, which essentially renders the whole affair useless.

I'd also caution about basing purchases on price: while it's not too likely you'll get good stuff for fourty bucks, take care, someone out there might try and sell you the same darn thing for a hundred. Won't make it more reliable.

Maybe tell us what you'd like to do with a tripod and what you can spend, and we'll try and make a good connection for you.

01-18-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys for your replies.

I'm a first-timer on many accounts. My intent is to get a tripod for low-light situations -- in indoor and night photography (I also would like to be able to lug this around the city).
Something around the $100 mark... I'm willing to spend more, but, really, the problem for me is I don't think I will be shooting that often to splurge too much money on it; I could put that on a faster lens.

Thanks again for any advice!

01-18-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

a 250-ish dollar carbon fiber tripod will last you a life time, and during that lifetime it will always be light, and it will always be compact.

i regret trying to save money by buying an aluminum tripod, countless times i have went to my friend who had a manfrotto carbon fiber tripod to borrow it, as the situation required mobility. (like hiking 20K up a mountain)
01-18-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hrm, well, I suppose a fast lens'll serve you better for walking around the city, as an early priority. (And there's something to be said for a monopod, for that purpose, anyway) What do you have at this point, might be a good question.

As someone who's been on a very tight budget, I don't regret having gotten a deal a cheap, simple, but kind of oversized aluminum tripod a couple of years ago not something to carry around routinely, but trying to do everything with one item on the cheap would have meant it wasn't doing anything well all that time.

It'll mean that once I get some other things taken care of, I can salt away for something more carryable, and have it suit just that purpose perfectly when I shell out for it. I like to say, 'Tripods can be light, cheap, and steady, choose two.'

Steadiness is, of course, the purpose of a tripod: the only problem is that that doesn't help you much if it's being steady somewhere-not-where-you are cause it was too big to bring.

I'm sure that among us we can set you up. One nice thing about getting into the real tripod range is that, well, if you get a decent ballhead, (that'll be about half the price,) you can always put it on a different set of fancier legs.

Gooshin's right, though, if you get the nice thing the first time, it'll probably do ya.
05-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I know I am pulling a very old post, but I have say I have the exact tripod, it seems to be fair, if I recall it made to hold up camcorders as well, I use it with my Pentax K-5 and K-01, most tripods the most annoying thing about them is the pad you screw them down to are not sticky rubber and more solid so your camera moves around if you don't have it on there good and tight.
Yet I never leave my camera unattended big , I always fear it fall over when I not looking I would not even trust a $200 one because even wind can knock it over just as well, but using the tripod I can take better photos then by hand really with 28-300mm Sigma I have.
And the other thing I do when handling tripods of any kind is I always still keep the Pentax strap around my neck so if tripod did break my camera would not fall, again adding more security and when I move I take the tripod with the camera still around my neck and when I done I just use the quick release and make sure that screw is on there good so I will not lose the quick release lever or screw if it happen to come apart. Hope this helps for people like me that don't want spend $100+ for tripod for common things. If going to a HUGE lens would strongly suggest investing in better tripods, but I don't have any heavy lenses so I don't worry about that.
And if I doing a slow shutter shot, I use wireless remote to take the photo.

05-29-2013, 05:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you want to spend around $100, here's a Ravelli that's quite sturdy, but not lightweight. I also have a Manfrotto 055XPROB & the Ravelli is about as stable as the Manfrotto. Not bad for under $100.

Here are a few more you might check out:

Slightly different Ravelli model for $65

Dolica for $70

Dolica for $40

I don't have any experience with the Dolica tripods, but they get good reviews here on the forum.

Good luck,
Bob :-)
05-29-2013, 06:30 AM   #9
Forum Member

I have a similar Zeikos tripod, the 77" model, and it's more than sufficient for a DSLR and a big lens.

I used it with my k-x and CZJ 2.8/200 -- that's over 4 pounds not including the Manfrotto lens support (that CZJ has no tripod mount).
05-29-2013, 09:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I am happy with this Amazon.com: Dolica ZX600B300 Proline ZX Series 60-Inch Carbon Fiber Tripod with Ball Head: Camera & Photo