Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2010, 09:27 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Slippery bag...

Hi ,

I have a wonderful Crumpler 6 million dollar bag. However, it easily slips off my shoulder when placed on nearly any smooth jacket-- leather, gore-tex, or twill. So I usually wear it like a sling, which is less than convenient. Is there anything one can put on the strap to produce more friction and less slippage? I have considered Velcro but that seems a bit like radical surgery. Does anyone have similar concerns?

01-20-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I hate it when a bag slips all the time, I carry my camera on one shoulder and my tripod with a strap on the other shoulder.

When I'm in a charity shop or junk shop I look at all the bags in there specifically to find rubberised shoulder pads, I've bought womens large handbags ( purses for Americans ) before now just to rob the pad off the strap, but old laptop bags are the best, sometimes I use the complete strap.

I rarely pay more than £1 for the whole bag. But hey, I'm cheap!
01-20-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tmacdon Quote
Hi ,

I have a wonderful Crumpler 6 million dollar bag. However, it easily slips off my shoulder when placed on nearly any smooth jacket-- leather, gore-tex, or twill. So I usually wear it like a sling, which is less than convenient. Is there anything one can put on the strap to produce more friction and less slippage? I have considered Velcro but that seems a bit like radical surgery. Does anyone have similar concerns?
You surely can, even get a new pad: but I don't know what it's like underneath there already. Is it just fabric or fake leather or something?

In a pinch, a few of bands cut from of old bicycle innertube slipped over the pad can work wonders, (just when you cut them, be sure and take care about the powder inside there, and wash it well, that stuff can be irritating.) Probably will take some mountain bike size tubing.
01-20-2010, 05:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can replace the original strap with a Domke Gripper Utility Strap, which has non-slip rubber strips woven in on one side.
These are available in several widths and colors. Or the Domke US Postal Shoulder Pad can be used with your present strap.

Chris

01-20-2010, 09:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Timbuk2 Bags - Tough-Tek Strap Pad US $15
QuoteQuote:
The strap pad attaches to any shoulder strap for added on-the-go comfort. Tough-Tek No-Slip model features rubberized non-slip material, especially for people who prefer to carry their bag on the shoulder, rather than across the chest (messenger-style). Tough-Tek No-Slip Strap Pad is available in black with a yellow swirl.

Thank you
Russell
01-22-2010, 03:06 PM   #6
Eds

I find the Domke straps quite good at overcoming this classic problem, and not particularly expensive either. Eds
01-22-2010, 04:46 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I haven't used one yet, but these come highly recommended:

UPstrap Professional Non Slip Camera Straps

02-07-2010, 05:05 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I extended the "third leg" strap on my Crumpler and use that, it keeps the bag in place over the shoulder.