Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2010, 08:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Self leveling tripod?

is there such a thing? In my dreams, I think of one where all you need to do is flip a lever and the tripod self levels, and then you lock it by clicking the switch back to lock.

Jason

01-24-2010, 10:20 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Morning Jason,

I would think that its referred to as a ballhead.
01-24-2010, 10:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I gather Jasvox would like the column to be automatically-plumb.

I don't know if anyone makes a product specifically for that, but there are some good tricks out there, which might go well with a tripod whose leg releases are at the top of the legs. (I was just seeing something the other day... Benbo, maybe? They also make these tripods where the column can tilt all over the place: You'd still have to use a line or level, but that could make this easier? )
01-24-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
my monfrotto 190xprob legs have a level; manual though.

01-24-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think the easiest way to level a tripod is a levelling base or levelling bowl, as is standard with better video tripods. Vanguard claims "self-levelling" here: Vanguard VT-548B Heavy Duty Self-Leveling Tripod: Southern Advantage

but I can't see, how they do that.

Ben
01-25-2010, 01:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have a Vanguard, almost identical to the one listed...the self leveling feet simply mean they conform to the terrain, not self leveling by any means. I am referring to something which will completely or instantly self level, when shooting on a slope, uneven surfaces, etc. If it was quick self leveling, you could set your tripod down, be level in 2 seconds and be taking photos by the third second....the ease of a monopod, but the perfect stability of a tripod. Wishful thinking I believe...and an idea for an invention...

Jason
01-25-2010, 03:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
I have a Vanguard, almost identical to the one listed...the self leveling feet simply mean they conform to the terrain, not self leveling by any means. I am referring to something which will completely or instantly self level, when shooting on a slope, uneven surfaces, etc. If it was quick self leveling, you could set your tripod down, be level in 2 seconds and be taking photos by the third second....the ease of a monopod, but the perfect stability of a tripod. Wishful thinking I believe...and an idea for an invention...

Jason
If that's all "self-levelling" the Vanguard provides, then even my 30 years old Slik Master Pro already had this kind of self-levelling...

I don't know of any tripod that would fullfill your wishes.

Ben

01-25-2010, 06:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm...perhaps I could market this. A good sturdy tripod which can be set up, leveled and ready to go in a matter of seconds can be a valuable accessory. seems like simple plum weight and pneumatics could make this possible and not a wad of dough.

Jason
01-25-2010, 07:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Do you think something like this might work for you, Jasvox?

Benbo | Trekker Tripod Kit | BEN107C | B&H Photo Video

They come in all kinds of sizes, and it seems you could get the base of the head pretty level without fussing too much about the legs.
01-25-2010, 11:03 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Do you think something like this might work for you, Jasvox?

Benbo | Trekker Tripod Kit | BEN107C | B&H Photo Video

They come in all kinds of sizes, and it seems you could get the base of the head pretty level without fussing too much about the legs.
this would be what comes to mind for me also.

I read an interesting history a long time ago in a photo magazine about this design.

It actually has a military origin, being the mobile mount for a machine gun.

The intent, as you explain, is to be able to walk (or perhaps run) up to a point. drop the legs, and lock them and have the whole thing in place in an instant.

If you had a reasonable level on the platform, you could make it reasonably level with no fuss
01-25-2010, 11:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

I read an interesting history a long time ago in a photo magazine about this design.

The intent, as you explain, is to be able to walk (or perhaps run) up to a point. drop the legs, and lock them and have the whole thing in place in an instant.

If you had a reasonable level on the platform, you could make it reasonably level with no fuss
In reality, though, the Benbos and Unilocs (same design) are not that fast to setup, because the three legs will not spread out on their own and the whole tripod is completely unstable until you placed all three legs and locked them down with the center screw. Though I use the big Uniloc, I would not call it "self-levelling". The design is just versatile without competition.

Ben
01-25-2010, 11:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

Got two (trekker); yep that's how they work -- loosen the lock, flop the legs wherever needed, tighten. Rock solid enough for MF camera! Perfect for all the uneven ground here.

Easy solution: mount camera on a Segway.
01-25-2010, 11:47 AM   #13
Damn Brit

You need a giant beanbag Jason.
01-25-2010, 11:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I am not sure what you mean by self levelling.

Any tripod when set on an uneven surface, unless it is extreme, will only require that you adjust the ball/pan head. That is not too onerous a task.

I suppose if someone came up with a gyroscopic head it would be entirely self levelling.
But wouldn't you need heavy batteries or a very long string to spin the top?

Mickey
01-25-2010, 03:35 PM   #15

I guess the closest thing would levelling base?
Something that goes between tripod and head, so one can make the head level without messing with the tripod too much. Manfrotto and Acratech make things like that, and they can be used with any tripod/head.