Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2010, 09:04 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Slik Sprint PRO II w/ Ballhead - How do you Pan??

Not much in the way of instructions on this guy...

If I loosen the ball head screw it gets loose in all dimensions...

If I just turn the camera I either loosen the screw mounting it to the camera or the actual ballhead begins to unscrew from the tripod.

My interest in panning to take a panorama.

Thanks,

Ken

01-24-2010, 09:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The only way you can pan with that ball head is if you leave the center post fully retracted and don't tighten it down, or just tighten it down a little bit using the tightening ring and not the screw so that it stays stable but will still allow you to turn it. Other than that, as you noticed, the tightening screw holds the head down in every direction and prevents turning.

Personally, I don't think the ball head on this tripod is very good. I only picked it because it's the lightest option and every gram counts when I'm hauling this stuff on my back while biking. I have a different, stiffer tripod with a fluid pan head for all other shooting situations.
01-25-2010, 02:51 AM   #3

It's not easy and the ballhead is not really good. I tried several things, but nothing works reliably.

Anyone has a tip for a ballhead that would work well with this tripod (QR plate needed, my budget is around 120USD)?
01-25-2010, 05:46 AM   #4

Original Poster
Hmmm, bummer... yeah.. recommendations for a better ball head which I can pan with?

Thanks,

Ken

01-25-2010, 06:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You can shoot perfectly good panos without a tripod. (unless at night).

Jason