Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2010, 08:51 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Wireless remote compatibility - Pentax K-x

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have a Pentax K-x and I have been trying to find a wireless infrared remote that works with it. I have purchased 2 different cheap ones form ebay and neither one will work. They were both advertised to work with Pentax cameras.

I don't want to waste any more money on remotes that will not work with the K-x. Do any of you have a K-x and know of a remote that has been verified to work with it.

The features that are important to me (if possible):

Autofocus before shutter
Bulb mode compatible
Good range, angle

The brands that I have that did not work are JJC and uWinka.

Thanks!

-Jason

01-25-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Ouch 2 misses. silly question, are you pointing them at the infrared sensor on the front of the camera?

The Pentax remote F is the way to go, someone has one in the marketplace for $10 shipped. I even did the work for you (assuming they still have it of course!):

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/87522-sale-re...lster-etc.html

If it is sold, why not try posting a wanted ad in the forum marketplace? I would guess someone can be found that would part with a spare one for a reasonable price. Good luck!

Note, I havent tried bulb mode w/the remote, but I would assume that just like the shutter, first press would open and second close.
01-25-2010, 10:02 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JP_Seattle Quote
I don't want to waste any more money on remotes that will not work with the K-x. Do any of you have a K-x and know of a remote that has been verified to work with it.
Yes. The Pentax Remote F. Pentaman is selling them for 10 bucks. As of this writing he says he's got two left, but getting more.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/87360-sale-br...control-f.html

The features that are important to me (if possible):

Autofocus before shutter
Bulb mode compatible
Those features are set on the camera. See pages 81, 104, and 134. Custom settings C2, number 11 controls the autofocus (On or Off,) and 12 controls the action of the remote in Bulb (Press and hold, or press to open/press to close.)
01-25-2010, 10:21 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks. I PMd Pentaman to try to get one from him. If he doesn't have any I am sure I can find one on ebay.

I have heard that the Pentax remote F has a fairly limited range and degree range (which is why I was looking at 3rd party brands). Does anyone have experience with using a 3rd party remote with a Pentax K-x or Km/K2000? If so, what brand?

Thanks again.

-Jason

01-26-2010, 06:03 AM   #5
efg

Photos: Gallery
I ordered this one, and it works. I wouldn't say the the degree range is great, but it's what I expected.

Note how it has a "pretty shape". : )

Wireless Remote Control for Pentax Camera K100D,K110D,K200D,K10D,K20D
01-26-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Ouch 2 misses. silly question, are you pointing them at the infrared sensor on the front of the camera?
Another silly question would be, did you actually set the camera on remote trigger, with the IR port flashing (is this the same with K-x)?
Just checking..
01-27-2010, 02:35 AM   #7

Original Poster
Yeah, I had it set correctly. I don't know if the 2 off-brand remotes I got were defective (batteries dead on arrival?) or if they were just not compatible. I found a used Pentax Remote F locally on craigslist for $10 so I got that today. It works! However, it leaves a lot to be desired in angle and distance that it will trigger the shutter. Oh well.. it fits the bill.

-Jason

01-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Yeah, I had it set correctly. I don't know if the 2 off-brand remotes I got were defective (batteries dead on arrival?) or if they were just not compatible. I found a used Pentax Remote F locally on craigslist for $10 so I got that today. It works! However, it leaves a lot to be desired in angle and distance that it will trigger the shutter. Oh well.. it fits the bill.

-Jason
This was exactly my predicament with the OEM Pentax remote F that is why I am looking for other third party remotes which others have reported to work better and with longer distances.
01-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

BTW, look at Freestyle:
Pentax Remote Control F - for All IQ Zoom and Optio Cameras with Remote Capability | Freestyle Photographic Supplies
02-01-2010, 12:49 PM   #10

I have bought two infrared remotes and they both worked with my Kx. I am surprised yours didn't, maybe test one in a shop before shelling out for any more? This one is a generic 5 in 1: Wireless Remote control for Canon 400D 450D 500D RC-1 on eBay (end time 14-Feb-10 18:23:49 GMT) branded Jianisi which I destroyed while trying to 'improve it' with a socket to fit a programmable remote. This one is smaller and neater and looks more 'pentax': Remote Control F for PENTAX K-M K200D K100D K20D K10D - eBay (item 350272293864 end time Feb-27-10 07:42:27 PST) branded Jeuying. Both worked pretty well. I think the first one had better range, but it is destroyed so cannot compare properly. The second will work from behind the camera inside a room from a couple of metres away, although this is relying on reflections from walls etc probably.
04-25-2010, 03:01 PM   #11

You can use a sony remote from an old tv or stereo.. just try out all the buttons and one of them will work. I found a couple of remotes in the dumpster! ;-)
11-14-2010, 04:33 PM   #12
Inactive Account

DVD player remote replacement.

So I was interested to read that Sony DVD player remotes can work as a Pentax remote replacement. I have a new Blueray player from Sony and the remote from that has quite a few buttons that release the shutter. I didn't want to keep taking the remote from the lounge-room so I thought I would try the remote from an old LG DVD player instead and it works also (but less buttons do the job). I was wondering what features an official remote would have other than shutter release to justify me looking into getting one. I can only think that shutter release would be the handy feature. I haven't tried bulb on it (via settings) but it did take multiple shots with a button held down on the remote.
11-14-2010, 06:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sevenTsix Quote
So I was interested to read that Sony DVD player remotes can work as a Pentax remote replacement. I have a new Blueray player from Sony and the remote from that has quite a few buttons that release the shutter. I didn't want to keep taking the remote from the lounge-room so I thought I would try the remote from an old LG DVD player instead and it works also (but less buttons do the job). I was wondering what features an official remote would have other than shutter release to justify me looking into getting one. I can only think that shutter release would be the handy feature. I haven't tried bulb on it (via settings) but it did take multiple shots with a button held down on the remote.
It only does shutter release. I bought one of the brands that the OP listed as not working and it works like a charm (JJC), is VERY small so it takes nearly no space in the bag, and was $4
11-17-2010, 10:54 PM   #14
Pentaxian

This is what I got and it works:
Auto focus ok (half press focus, full shutter), angle 120 deg (aprox.) including reflection if there is solid subject, range so far I checked 20 ft, bulb ok.

DealExtreme: $6.20 JJC Card Style Compact IR Remote for Pentax/Samsung Cameras (E7)

Last edited by ultraviolet; 11-19-2010 at 09:42 PM.
11-19-2010, 12:44 AM   #15

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought also a cheap JJC RM-E5 remote and it works very good with my K-x (autofocus before shutter, bulb )