Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2010, 01:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

does trigger voltage matter for off camera?

Hi all
If I want to use flash off camera with wireless triggers or as slaves does the voltage matter?
So long as they are manual? Does the brand matter If I have a compatable flash on camera? Can I mix brands?
Anything else I should worry about?
cheers
Jan

Last edited by janstew; 01-26-2010 at 01:23 AM. Reason: something else....
01-26-2010, 07:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The voltage that the trigger can handle will depend on the actual trigger. Most of them are pretty safe with high voltage.

Being manual doesn't affect the trigger voltage.

The thing with wireless triggers is that there is no TTL, no P-TTL, or any kind of communication with the camera. It is a simple signal to fire the flash. The flash controls the power based on how it is set. So, mixing brands is a non-issue when using them together.

As for having a compatible flash on camera, wireless triggers don't work like that. You are probably thinking of Pentax or Nikon flashes that use 'wireless' light pulses to communicate with each other. In a case like that, compatibility does matter. If you are just using simple wireless triggers, the transmitter will sit in the hotshoe and you use as many receivers as you need.
01-26-2010, 07:18 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I've been using RF-04 wireless trigger for a while without problems. When I got my new RF-602 wireless trigger I killed it prety fast using an old, high voltage flash.

Later I found out on a different webshop that the RF-602's only can handle 12V as sync voltage. My old flash measured close to 100V and fried the transistor in the receiver.

So trigger voltage CAN matter even off camera.
01-26-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The key is to make sure whatever you have plugged into the flash (hotshoe foot, PC port, etc.) that will trigger it to fire can handle high voltages. You will have to consult you trigger manual or manufacturer to find out whether it can handle the load.

01-26-2010, 08:42 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
SO, re. first query: Flashes need to be directly connected to another device for voltage to be an issue. If it's not connected to the camera (neither mounted nor by cable) then the camera is safe.
01-26-2010, 10:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok lets see if I got this.........
I can buy any flash (preferably ones that allow me to reduce the flash power with a button on the back)
Put a transmitor on the camera that can handle the highest voltage of the flashes.
Put receivers on the flashes ( as many as I need )
Put the camera ( KM ) into wireless?
Put it all in manual and fire away?

sooooo to use a slave set up........I put a flash on the camera as the main flash ( it must be able to set off slaves? How do I know that?)
Use as many slave flashes as I need.......
Put the camera ( KM ) into wireless and fire away?

I sooo wish my dad was alive to see how this all works. He would have had a ball!

cheers
Jan

Last edited by janstew; 01-26-2010 at 10:40 PM. Reason: thinking thinking.........
01-27-2010, 12:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ricstew Quote
That is important. Never connect flashes directly together. If one has a high trigger voltage and the other one a low trigger voltage, one of them will die.

01-27-2010, 08:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I can buy any flash (preferably ones that allow me to reduce the flash power with a button on the back)
Yes

QuoteQuote:
Put a transmitor on the camera that can handle the highest voltage of the flashes.
The voltage is important for the receivers, not the transmitter.

QuoteQuote:
Yes

QuoteQuote:
Put the camera ( KM ) into wireless?
No. Wireless on the camera is for Pentax flashes that can talk to each other. As long as you shutter speed is 1/180 or slower, the camera will trigger the transmitter.

QuoteQuote:
Put it all in manual and fire away?
Yes.

QuoteQuote:
sooooo to use a slave set up........I put a flash on the camera as the main flash ( it must be able to set off slaves? How do I know that?)
If you are using optical slaves, either the flash (some have an optical trigger built in) or an optical trigger will be able to fire the slaves when the main light fires.

QuoteQuote:
Use as many slave flashes as I need.......
Yes.

QuoteQuote:
Put the camera ( KM ) into wireless and fire away?
If you are using basic optical triggers, no. They will fire when they see the light from the main flash. If you are using PTTL flashes, then yes.

QuoteQuote:
I sooo wish my dad was alive to see how this all works. He would have had a ball!

cheers
Jan
01-27-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Many many thanks!
I am slowly working out the best way to do this with everyones help and I appreciate it very much.
cheers
Jan
01-28-2010, 01:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I can buy any flash
Unfortunately no. There are some flashes that are more complicated and don't simply use the center pin and ground for triggering. The ProMaster DS1-PZ1/ProMaster 7000m with a Pentax mount is one that won't work that I know of.

Thank you
Russell