Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Hey, Heather.

I'd like to hear what you think about that one, myself: that looks like it's pretty close to where I might want to be looking, (When the time comes to shell out for quality legs) fairly compact but pretty stout.

And I'm a big fan of having a 'beater' tripod for any given vehicle, Observer. While it's good to have a quality tripod, it's nice to have something in the vehicle that you don't have to be concerned about it getting ripped off or anything, and that'll always be there, should you need it unexpectedly.

There's plenty of nice old stuff out there that can suit this kind of purpose: that might be kind of heavy and/or clunky by current standards, but will work just fine in a pinch.
Here's another vote for a beater! Except the only tripod i own is a beater. It's an ok tripod i got 2nd hand but has since seen a lot of use and abuse.

Buy a cheap(ish) one and see how you go. You may not use it much. If you use it heaps then buying a nice one will be a 'no-brainer'.

Eg... i got a $50 2nd hand tripod off ebay and use it at least once a week. Now i know what i want/need out of a tripod. This lesson cost me $50.
I got a nice Metz flash for $250. I am lucky to use it once a month. Don't even know if i really need it. This lesson cost me $250.

mike