Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2010, 09:46 PM   #1

manfrotto 222 bad reviews?

So, I recently purchased a Manfrotto tripod and a 222 head, from a local camera shop.

I tried out the head and tripod in the store with my heaviest lens (a all metal sears 135mm) as well as my 55-300 plastic kit lens. The review websites are claiming this head is only good for point and shoot cameras or light weight "crossover" dslrs (which I guess the k-x is?)

Is there some honeymoon period I'm in right now, which will end after a few uses, and then the head starts slipping and slopping like so many reviews claim? or are the reviewers not adjusting the head correctly (I notice it has lots of screws and comes with a tool to tighten them). I also read lots of reviews claiming the head is difficult to adjust. Perhaps it's my huge hands that make it easier to use (also making the k-x itself more of a challenge)?

I'm not expecting to mount up one of those 1000mm refracting telescope type lenses.; the 55-300 is probably the biggest telephoto I ever plan to use. I've adjusted to plenty of odd angles and then released the grip, and the camera stays right on target. But of course, it's only a few days into the honeymoon yet.

What say the group?

01-31-2010, 11:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had a 222 head for nigh on 5 years now. The heaviest lens I have is the Sigma 135-400. The 222 is working as well today as it was when I bought it, and yes, it does get a lot of use in not so serene conditions. I cant fault it and when it does finally give up I will buy another one.....it is just such a handy and versatile tool.

The only issue I have had with it is making sure I firmly push in the lever on the plate, otherwise I get (got) a little bit of movement (over time).....a new plate reduced that to where a firm push does the trick, but as it's a metal (& an alloy at that) to metal fitting it has to wear over time.
NB: I am referring to the lever, not the locking pin.

Cheers
Grant
02-02-2010, 09:28 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you for the feedback Grant. I've taken it on a few outings now and really like the cold weather performance, compared to my old grease-buffered pan head. My only complaint is the solid aluminum hand grip hurts holding on to for very long at these temps