Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2010, 11:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Compact Travel Tripod: Cullman Magic 2 review

I didn't see a review of this tripod when I did a search, so I thought it would be helpful if I did one.

I recently developed a need for a portable travel tripod that would be great for airline travel, as well as use on a backpack. I didn't want to have to carry one in a separate bag, nor did I want a mini-tripod that only works on a table. After some searching I came across the Cullman Magic 2 which is made in Germany.

I really like this tripod. It is well made out of aluminum (with some plastic locks) and it is only a little over 3 lbs. It is a full-size tripod.

Here is a picture of it folded up. I love how it folds flat. It can easily fit in a carry-on or suitcase. Also, it can be tied on to a backpack.

Here is what it looks like at its smallest setting (About 18in high):

And at its highest setting (about 4ft 4in):

Here is a closeup of the quick release:

The bottom side of the quick-release so you can see the screw. (I wish it were a folding wing nut, but that is my only gripe.

Here you can see the ball and socket head at an arbitrary angle:

And for you macro tripod shooters:

One of my favorite things about this tripod is that you can take off the center support and one of the legs, and quickly turn it into an adjustable monopod!
Full-height:

Minimum height:

So far I am very happy with it, and I have no trouble trusting it to a DSLR and a telephoto lens.

Hopefully this is useful to someone.

01-31-2010, 08:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice Review

Pentaxpoke, thanks for this review, very timely. I was investigating travel-sized tripods to take while motorcycle touring. I currently am very happy with my Manfrotto 190 w/486 ballhead, but it's a little more than I want to pack. I was thinking seriously of the Benro Travel Angel but this Cullman looks like it would fit the bill quite nicely!
01-31-2010, 09:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting design approach.

Consider merging into this thread
01-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Just stumbled across this thread again, after first finding it last spring. At that point I was looking for a light travel tripod to take on a big hiking trip. After researching - and based on PentaxPoke's very thorough research in this thread - I bought the above-mentioned Cullman model.
Just thought I'd let everyone know that this tripod fit the bill very nicely for me. It got through airport security with no problems. It's pretty fast to set up & take down. It's light & compact. The monopod is a nice feature, and works well.
About the only drawbacks I've come across so far have been it's working height (I'm 6' 2", and it's a little short for me - but I knew that going in - the price I have to pay for light & compact), and the fact that the ballhead's gripping ability seems to get max'd out when I'm using my DA* 50-135 lens. It works great on anything lighter (like the 55 - 300 kit lens), but if you're dragging any heavier lenses along you'll probably want something a bit sturdier.

All in all it does a great job at what it's designed to do.

Tim

01-21-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for that bit of info regarding use of heavier lenses, Tim. My basic travel kit always includes the DA*50-135, so the Cullman may not be the right choice then. I'm still considering a more compact tripod for travel, but that priority's been on the backburner unless a bunch of money suddenly tries to burn another hole in my pocket! Sport-touring on a motorcycle is my goal, where, similar to hiking, space and weight are at a premium (at least on my bike).

Here's a thought: can that ball head on the Cullman be easily replaced with something sturdier? I currently use Manfrotto stuff and it would be convenient to stick with the same QR plate, if possible. What do you think?
01-21-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
Thanks for that bit of info regarding use of heavier lenses, Tim. My basic travel kit always includes the DA*50-135, so the Cullman may not be the right choice then. I'm still considering a more compact tripod for travel, but that priority's been on the backburner unless a bunch of money suddenly tries to burn another hole in my pocket! Sport-touring on a motorcycle is my goal, where, similar to hiking, space and weight are at a premium (at least on my bike).

Here's a thought: can that ball head on the Cullman be easily replaced with something sturdier? I currently use Manfrotto stuff and it would be convenient to stick with the same QR plate, if possible. What do you think?
Off the top of my head I'm not sure, as I never thought of replacing it. I'll give a look when I get home tonight and let you know. I guess that's something I'd consider as well - since I'm a big fan of my DA * 50-135 too.

More tonight.....

Tim
01-21-2011, 01:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Same here - This would be quite interesting if I can put a ballhead with an Arca-compatible clamp on it.

01-21-2011, 05:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
Same here - This would be quite interesting if I can put a ballhead with an Arca-compatible clamp on it.
I was wondering if at least the clamp can be swapped out. That's a pretty clever design and it looks like you could hang it inside a bicycle frame.
01-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

So here's the deal.....

When I remove the ball head it's mounted on a standard camera mounting screw, as follows.....

So I would guess another head could be mounted on there - maybe something like this?.....

<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/113847-REG/Cullmann_CU_0905_905_Large_Ballhead.html>

Tim
01-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Yep, pretty much anything would fit or adapt to that thread.