Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2010, 03:08 AM   #1
Inactive Account

ball head -- too good to be true?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm looking for a small ball head for a lightweight travel tripod and came across this KS-0 head from the firm Gadget Infinity which is (in)famous for its cactus flash triggers. I'll mostly be using primes or light-weight zooms, mostly likely nothing more than 2kg in total.

First impressions suggest that this is a cheap copy of far more expensive designs.
Has anyone used one?
Junk or good value?

Oliver

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/...t.php?productid=16988&cat=260&page=1

02-05-2010, 05:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is the Benro KS-0 head. These are competent heads, delivering more quality, than one would expect for the price. But they are no en par with expensive heads. I have a bigger KS-2, which is a nice head, but the bottom plate is to thin and when I first attached it to a tripod and locked down the additional screws in my tripod, that prevent rotatopn of the head, the pano movement was "locked". The bottom plat bent so much, it blocked the pano rotation…

Also, the internal plastic sleeve bearing does not look like it would last a lifetime.

But for occasional use the head is fine and I can recommend it. The finishing on the Benro heads is very nice, by the way.

Ben
02-05-2010, 05:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you want affordable quality ballheads, look for Photoclam on eBay.
02-05-2010, 06:12 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Also look at the ballheads from Feisol.

02-05-2010, 07:26 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Acratech ballheads are very lightweight, able to carry virtually any load at any position and can function as a traditional ballhead, panning head, along with being a gimbal head. Lightweight and wonderful for backpacking.

Acratech, Inc*::*Ballheads & Tripod Accessories
01-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #6

little up here, any advise ? did you get the head ? I am looking to buy it.

Kaavie KS-0 Full Metal Ballhead with Quick Release: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Last edited by french_mike; 01-08-2013 at 01:43 PM.
01-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Acratech ballheads are very lightweight, able to carry virtually any load at any position and can function as a traditional ballhead, panning head, along with being a gimbal head. Lightweight and wonderful for backpacking.

Acratech, Inc::Ballheads & Tripod Accessories
I totally agree with that, being a pride owner of the Acratech GV2 Ballhead myself.

JP

01-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This thread is more than two years old... It's not generally recommended to revive an old thread like this. People might have gone away, products change, etc.

If you're looking for a cheap ballhead, and accept that it will be cheaply made, then any choice is ok. If you want a good ballhead, accept that it will not be cheap, sadly.

Apart from eventual poor manufacturing, a cheaper ballhead will lack good friction control, the camera can move (down) even after you lock the head, etc. In fact I suggest you read this:

The Tripod Head - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Then if you decide you still want a cheap head, that's fine. Any head will do, with the limitations you are accepting.
01-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #9

Thanks Bdery