Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2007, 03:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hand strap for K10D

I'm just wondering if there is such a thing as a hand strap for the K10D. I was shooting with a friend who has a Canon 1D Mk II N and he had this cool hand strap which, when I used it, made it so much more comfortable.

Link to Canon Australia site: Pretty sure this is it.

I am still waiting for my battery grip so I'm not sure if it would fit, but I would love it if it did!

06-28-2007, 03:58 PM   #2
Inactive Account

While it's not a Pentax hand strap, the Hakuba LH hand strap works great. I've had it on the K10D since day one. It covers up the battery slot on the bottom, but it only take a second or two to loosen the plate of the strap, move it out of the way, and continue.

Last edited by Alex Balotskiy; 06-28-2007 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Forgot to close out the URL tag.
06-28-2007, 04:06 PM   #3
baw

Have a look at the OptechUsa straps.
They have several options.
I also use their camera harnass. Works great.
06-28-2007, 04:06 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I like the camdapter one:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/5299-review-cam...e-my-mods.html
It's so good when using the tripod.

06-29-2007, 07:10 AM   #5
SGT
Inactive Account

If you find one that works with the battery grip in place let me know. I've been looking / asking around but cannot find one.
06-29-2007, 07:22 AM   #6
Forum Member

Nikon AH-4.

I used it on my old D1 and it fit just fine. Haven't tried it on my K10D yet, but it should be okay with a battery grip if it worked on a brick like the D1.

I imagine it could be called dual-purpose/dual support, as one can attach a neck strap as well to that upper right buckle.
Attached Images

Last edited by DigiFilm; 06-29-2007 at 07:31 AM. Reason: content
06-29-2007, 07:29 AM   #7
and
Veteran Member

I like the idea of a hand strap but I wouldnt want to give up the neck strap, because then Id have to hold the camera in my hand or put it in back in the camera bag. its nice to "let it hang" a bit if you have a heavy lens mounted. wonder if any of the straps allow you to use the neck strap at the same time

06-29-2007, 07:44 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
I like the idea of a hand strap but I wouldnt want to give up the neck strap, because then Id have to hold the camera in my hand or put it in back in the camera bag. its nice to "let it hang" a bit if you have a heavy lens mounted. wonder if any of the straps allow you to use the neck strap at the same time
The AH-4 will allow that.
06-29-2007, 09:13 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
I'm recommending the Camdapter one too.

For those situations where I need two free hands, I connected a quick release neck strap to the available connecting points on the camera (one on the otehr side of the Camdapter and the second one on the body), and I'm ready to go.
01-23-2008, 10:03 PM   #10

hi i'm quick new to my K10D but loving every minute of it. i'm just wondering about the Camadapter do i need to buy both the adapter and the hand strap separately? also, a note on the quick releasing neck strap, where would i go on finding on of these?

if anyone can help me out that be great.

thanks in advance
07-22-2008, 06:08 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DigiFilm Quote
Nikon AH-4.

I used it on my old D1 and it fit just fine. Haven't tried it on my K10D yet, but it should be okay with a battery grip if it worked on a brick like the D1.

I imagine it could be called dual-purpose/dual support, as one can attach a neck strap as well to that upper right buckle.
I've had the Nikon handstrap for about 2 weeks now and it has been great... before when I didn't have the camera up to my eye it would take just a second to grab the camera to shoot, but now with the camera attached to my hand, I can react faster. It's also very comfortable to walk around with the handgrip on; I can let go of the grip on the cam and just let it hang off my wrist and that is much less tiring for my hand over the course of a couple hours. And my neck and shoulder aren't sore either as they usually would be if I were using the neck strap exclusively.

This particular strap is great since I can still leave my neck strap attached (I have the lowepro neck strap which unclips very fast if I don't want the extra strap on there). If I'm changing lenses or if I'm going up a steep path and I need both hands free for balance, it's nice to have the neck strap available too.

One thing that I don't like is that my thumb has a bit less ability to move, which makes changing where my focus point a little harder and getting to the Fn button (I own a Pentax k10d) very hard to get to w/ my right thumb. I'm getting used to the workarounds (use my left thumb for the fn button, and keeping the handstrap a little loose to be able to use the arrow buttons easier) so overall, the handstrap is completely worthwhile.

I've yet to try to use the cam w/ the battery grip, but it looks like the straps are long enough for them to reach even w/ the grip on. Thing is, if your hand is in the grip, going from portrait to landscape mode is no longer as simple or quick, so I doubt I'll want to use the handstrap or the grip at the same time.
07-22-2008, 08:30 PM   #12
Forum Member

I tried what you all are calling the Nikon hand strap on my K10D (the same design is seen via the Ebay importers). As vagrant10 pointed out it is, for me, too confining of a hand strap. When I am shooting my thumb and forefinger are constantly moving the wheels - I shoot Manual 98% of the time. I just couldn't make that type of hand strap work. But I did make this one work very nicely... Camdapter wrist strap even with the Kirk adapter plate on my camera.
07-22-2008, 10:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've used one on my K10 for a few months now and couldn't do without. When I'm shooting, I've found straps are not great for over the head impromptu shots or laying on the floor to capture a shot from a different angle.

I also discovered it stopped me from dropping the camera after getting a bit too relaxed (sleepy) and releasing my grip on a very heavy combo (camera/grip/flash/70-300mm lens) The hand strap gripped my hand long enough to react to gravity

So definitely recommend it!
07-23-2008, 09:14 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ol' Pro Technique

The old pros have a way of wrapping their neck strap around their wrist so it becomes a specialized 'hand strap.' They call it an "slr-hang-on".

Click here for an illustration and description.

Works great (at no extra cost)...