Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
help with a tripod problem

My Amvona Dynatran AT-A104T carbon fiber tripod has developed a problem. My question to you is: what, if anything, can be done about it. Inside the center column of this Amvona there is normally a metal plug at either end; the plug holds a screw that allows one to attach a head to the tripod. A black plasticky cap covers this plug, with a screw hole in it too. As the photo below shows, the plug has come out of the center column. Actually, both plugs have come out. They appeared to be originally secured with glue, so I tried regluing them, but the bond isn't strong enough. Suggestions?

Attached Images

02-06-2010, 08:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

ask Amvona or just use any good 2-part epoxy, roughing both surfaces with sandpaper & cleaning first.

other options:

Loctite 9462 Hysol

SP340LV
02-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
Forum Member

I'm not familiar with the options, but I agree a good cleaning, sanding and epoxy should work.
02-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, like the others said. From the looks of things, it may have been a lack of cleaning that made the bond not hold. You could possibly drill a little hole once that's done and pin it in place as well, but that should be unnecessary.

02-08-2010, 02:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi sholtzma,

I have the same model, but from a different production run, as mine had a single screw holding the plug in -- without any adhesive. The plug is too soft an alloy, and should have been mfg'd to a tighter tolerance, then welded in and ground square -- but it wasn't, so it loosened up, allowing a head to move, no matter how tightly it was attached to the camera platform.

I use this tripod with a Manfrotto 468 MG head with a Wimberley QR conversion clamp and a Wimberley Sidekick for my 300/2.8s and heavier lenses, so there's a lot of stress put on this setup. I tried glue and epoxy, but both loosened up in a few uses. I tried peening the column with a center punch to tighten the fit of the plug, but that also loosened up with surprisingly little use.

My final "no more playing around" solution was to drill two holes through the column and into the plug, countersink the holes, and tap them to 4-40 (got the drill and tap set from Sears). I installed two screws with Loctite, then peened the edges of the screw heads to make doubly sure they wouldn't back out. This lasted the whole last season with almost everyday use, and is still rock solid with no additional attention needed. I don't anticipate any more issues with this in the future.

Too bad they scrimped on such an important point in this product. I also won a CF 94 from them, and this was never an issue, so I guess this is model specific -- but I'm not really complaining -- It's really hard to bitch about a CF tripod that's very solid and taller than I need for under $100 USD. . . I expected to have to make a few mods to make it more usable -- and this wasn't all that difficult nor expensive (but it was frustrating and a PIA).

Scott
02-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Typical shoddy Amnova quality.
Unless you can somehow guarantee a secure way to bond, I would just junk it as the risk to your gear is there.
This is an excellent example of the adage "buy cheap pay twice".
02-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, they are cheap tripods. But, to be fair, it was my first foray into CF, and I wasn't even sure I would like it. I do. Very much. If I can fix it, as snostorm did, it might be worth my while. Better yet, maybe I can convince one of my workshop-handy acquaintances to do the work for me!

Anyway, thanks for all your good replies. If you can think of any alternatives not already mentioned, I'd appreciate hearing them.

02-09-2010, 04:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If you have some "workshop handy acquaintances" I would ask them to make a longer insert with a tighter fit, bond it in with some epoxy resin or one of the Loctite engineering glues, and then put a few tiny countersunk screws through the carbon fibre.
A longer insert will reduce the sideways stress on the insert, that one looks as wide as it is long which will have a tendency to 'rock' when you are screwing the head on the column, or even when fitting the camera.

That's what I'd do, from looking at the picture, but I have a workshop with a lathe so I could easily make a new insert.

Last edited by Lloydy; 02-09-2010 at 04:29 AM. Reason: sp
02-09-2010, 05:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
If you have some "workshop handy acquaintances" I would ask them to make a longer insert with a tighter fit, bond it in with some epoxy resin or one of the Loctite engineering glues, and then put a few tiny countersunk screws through the carbon fibre.
A longer insert will reduce the sideways stress on the insert, that one looks as wide as it is long which will have a tendency to 'rock' when you are screwing the head on the column, or even when fitting the camera.

That's what I'd do, from looking at the picture, but I have a workshop with a lathe so I could easily make a new insert.
That would certainly be the best solution. And if you really have somebody with a machine shop at hand, get a cross cut made though the lower half of the replacement insert and then he can expand that to a solid fit with a center screw.

Ben
02-17-2010, 12:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

You could try putting a general purpose epoxy putty plug in the center column that the original plug would rest on when epoxied into place. If you can get access to the other end of the center column to be able to tap the putty into position and expand it out, it would be better.

A second epoxy would be needed to glue the original plug's bottom to the top of new epoxy plug as well as the sides of the center column. It might be helpful to file a grove into the original plug around its circumference so that a bead of epoxy can expand into it as the original plug is pushed down into the center column. A small triangle file would work to create the groove.

If you have enough thread on the 3/8-16 thread you could drop the plug a little lower than the lip of the center column and use more epoxy to top the plug.

Thank you
Russell
02-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Another suggestion would be to use GOOP which does a good job for many problems. A really great adhesive that can also take shock as it always remains pliable but strong.
02-24-2010, 02:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

A lot of the fellows here like to use JB Weld for stuff like this: I've never tried it, myself.
02-24-2010, 04:11 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 on the JB-weld, it even holds back sulphur hexafluoride.

Cheers, Mike.
02-24-2010, 06:30 PM   #14
Inactive Account

I think fiberglass resin is used for carbon fiber as a glue, and the threaded piece needs to be about 4x that length. To have not screwed that in is really cheap. Your equipment is not cheap, so when in doubt, throw it out. Just get a new one.
02-26-2010, 05:59 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
By the way, just to add relevant information, I did reach Amvona. Their rep and I emailed back and forth a bit. She understood that there was a problem, but her only solution was to offer to sell me another center column, which at least was only $10. But as I told her, why would I buy another product if it has the same design flaw and will likely fail just as mine did? Either she didn't understand, or didn't have an answer to, my question about how it could best be fixed.

Now, here's an interesting thought that struck me. No doubt you folks will know. Can I replace the Amvona center column with another company's center column??