Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
Inactive Account

wireless slave trigger

Hey all,

I have been using my Af540 flash in a lot of my shoots lately. Im ready to start experimenting with a second flash. Now i've been using my flash wirelessly by triggering it with my k200d obviously. If I were to buy a wireless hotshoe slave trigger for an older flash such as a vivitar 285 and another light stand, would my K200D trigger it wirelessly as a second slave? Or is it a different frequency. I dont have any pocket wizards or cactus triggers and am trying to figure out a cheaper solution without using a sync cord. Any thoughts?

02-07-2010, 12:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
<i>If I were to buy a wireless hotshoe slave trigger for an older flash such as a vivitar 285 and another light stand, would my K200D trigger it wirelessly as a second slave?</i>

No, it will not work. The Pentax wireless works on flashes of light, not radio frequencies like Cactus, Pocket Wizards, etc do.

You would need to trigger them all with the wireless trigger. The other option you could use is optical triggers on each of your flashes. You'd need to set manual mode on the onboard flash on your camera unless you can find optical triggers that won't trigger with the pre-flashes from PTTL.
02-07-2010, 04:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, it will trigger an optical slave, especially with the right slave module, but you won't get the benefits of the exposure information communicated between the flashes. I've used an optical slave with a sunflash module that ignores the preflash to power a small flash behind the subject to ease shadows and separate, but I would not try it with anything that was contributing significant light.

With the wireless triggers, you are on full manual as well, but given how easy it is to make digital test shots, that is not a bad thing.

Last edited by GeneV; 02-07-2010 at 07:47 AM.
02-07-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah I only work in Manual with my flashes. I find it is the only way to get your light consistent through out your set of photo's. I was thinking of picking up one of these little jems on e-bay or at my local store.

Wein | HS Hot Shoe Slave | W940030 | B&H Photo Video

Perhaps I should get my wallet out and just purchase a radio set up instead. or just pick up a af360 or something

Thanks guys for the reply

02-09-2010, 06:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick SD Quote
Yeah I only work in Manual with my flashes. I find it is the only way to get your light consistent through out your set of photo's. I was thinking of picking up one of these little jems on e-bay or at my local store.

Wein | HS Hot Shoe Slave | W940030 | B&H Photo Video

Perhaps I should get my wallet out and just purchase a radio set up instead. or just pick up a af360 or something

Thanks guys for the reply
The good news there is that you can do it for pocket change. I've been using CTR 301p triggers since last summer, and these things have worked flawlessly for very little money. I've tested them to more than half a block. Just keep the batteries fresh.