Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2007, 10:55 PM   #1

CRV 3 - Your experience

Im just back from a 10 day tour but had a bad time for a couple of days due to CRV 3 rechargeables.

They worked for a couple of days and then the camera(k110D) started acting erratically. The release button would not work. The lcd would come on even if the switch was turned off and at one point it did continuous clicking for nearly 30 times.

I lost the chance of shooting concert photos that night. I returned to my room and changed the batteries to the AA rechargeables and the camera was back.

The CRV package is promaster incl the charger.

What is your experience and advice.

Should I use the batteries for a couple of days and then recharge without waiting for it to lose complete charge?

Tasha

06-30-2007, 12:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How long have you had your RCR-V3? Have they 3 contacts (tiny one in the middle)? I have 2 pairs of Taiwanese made with 2 contacts only and my DS never behaves strangely. The only catch is that there is no warning when depleted so the last taken shot would be lost (not being saved).
06-30-2007, 03:20 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the response. This is a taiwan one too and has 2 contact points. Promaster- yellow color. I tried it again and it makes the cam click abruptly without actually taking snaps.
06-30-2007, 03:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought you weren't supposed to use rechargeable crv 3 batteries with pentax dslr. IRR the manual states that as well.

06-30-2007, 05:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tasha_22 Quote
Thanks for the response. This is a taiwan one too and has 2 contact points. Promaster- yellow color. I tried it again and it makes the cam click abruptly without actually taking snaps.

I have searched the web and found the yellow label promaster RCR-v3 you have. The charger was Made in China, while genuine Taiwanese made RCR-V3 should have Made is Taiwan charger. I suggest you measure the open voltage of your RCR-V3 and see if they exceed 4V each (I suspect they do). Just for a comparsion, the safe one I use is the one on the right (with RC4/5 printed on the plastic, 3.5V- open voltage) while the faked one on the left exceed 4V.

The genuine one also sold under the label Delkin, Digistar & DoCo (but in Taiwan only).

06-30-2007, 05:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
I thought you weren't supposed to use rechargeable crv 3 batteries with pentax dslr. IRR the manual states that as well.
Offically, as there is no standard of making RCR-V3, and there are only Chinese & Taiwanese manufacturers making them. The quality & voltage regulation vary widely.
07-02-2007, 03:45 AM   #7

Original Poster
Alan,

Thanks for taking the trouble. The batteries I have look differently and all completely yellow unlike yours with the black inbetween where it fits the charger. Also the charger is promaster made in Taiwan (not China).

I guess I will give it a couple of tries and then get rid of it.

Thanks

Tasha

07-25-2007, 01:28 AM   #8

Original Poster
Hi! All,

Just wanted to let you know that the CRV3's work ok on the ist DL and not on the K110D.

Thanks

Tasha
07-30-2007, 08:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Uniross

i use uniross cr-v3 rechargeables with my DL and they are fine
as a good brand, i think the bottom line is make sure you have a decent brand!
it sounds like they maybe just died on you? in the DL i use 2 so when one is getting low the battery symbol goes down to 1/2 but you can still get many shots out of it!
08-01-2007, 10:32 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I bought moby power from thomas-distributing.com They are regulated to a safe voltage and work great! Thomas is the best source for batteries.

-k
08-01-2007, 11:42 AM   #11

You know, if your RCRV3's are making your camera sick, it's not a good idea to keep feeding them to it. The voltage from your particular cells is probably too high and you might well permanently fry the electronics.
08-02-2007, 08:07 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I use the Delkin RCR-V3s and there are a couple of points in general where they can go wrong:

1) As mentioned above, their behaviour varies when they're dead even though the meter still shows 100%. My K100D will trip the mirror up, and then get stuck until I power down. Others report the mirror returns but doesn't take a photo. It's generally random depending on the camera and battery. The moment the mirror gets stuck, I know it's time to charge.

2) My charger is getting flaky and stops charging prematurely unless I tighten the contact between the battery and charger contacts with a chunk of cardboard (a spacer).

But barring those two issues, they're a million times more reliable than NiMHs, of which I have 6 sets of 4 where only 1 works reliably in the camera. The other 5 last forever in my flashes but I'll live with that.