Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2010, 10:19 AM   #1
Forum Member

Choosing between velbon and dolica carbon fiber...

Hello -- I'm trying to choose between this two. The velbon's carrying capacity is only 8.8 lbs which worries me compared to the Dolica's ~17 lbs. Could anyone help me with some advice.

Thanks very much!

Amazon.com: Dolica CX620B104 61-Inch Proline Carbon Fiber Tripod with Ball Head: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Velbon El Carmagne 530 Carbon Fiber Tripod with Pan Head and Case: Camera & Photo

P.S I'm getting started, so other tripods may be too rich for my blood

02-08-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
D W
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K7er Quote
Hello -- I'm trying to choose between this two. The velbon's carrying capacity is only 8.8 lbs which worries me compared to the Dolica's ~17 lbs. Could anyone help me with some advice.
There is no standard universal tripod load rating, all these numbers are claims by the manufacturer.

Velbon has been around for a while, has anyone heard of Dolica?
02-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
According to your links, the Velbon actually takes 25lbs which is more likely (although what you are going to put on it that weighs that much beats me. For what it's worth, I've never heard of Dolica: Velbon have been around for ever. Another issue to consider: the Dolcia comes with a ball head, the Velbon with a pan/tilt: which do you prefer? Bear in mind that it is unlikely that the head (particularly a cheap ball) will support anything like the listed weight capacity for the tripod - you have to mount directly on the 'pod for that.
02-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #4
Forum Member

velbon 630

I received the velbon 630 and Acratech Ultimate Ballhead for xmas. It works great. I've used it with my 500/4.5 lens. 4 lbs for the pod. Pod and camera is about half of what my old pod was alone. I take it hiking all the time, 3-7 mile hikes.

02-10-2010, 03:17 PM   #5

I purchased the Dolica carbon fiber. While it looked like an okay budget tripod. The fit and finish on the one I received was poor. I couldn't get the legs properly extended and 2 of the feet fell off, just in un-packing it. I sent it back the next day. On the same day, I received their aluminum tripod; the one with a ball head that costs about $50.00 from Amazon. It was spectcular, better than the carbon fiber and inexpensive. Even comes with a nice zippered shoulder bag.

I agree with the others on the Velbon; old company producing quality stuff. . I still want exactly the combination Barry S is talking about, carbon fiber legs and a separate ball head, but it is in a whole different price world.
02-10-2010, 10:19 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Would you recommend getting the Aluminium Dolica Proline? The reviewers on Amazon note problems with the quality of the ball-head setup.

Thanks for any info...
02-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #7

Would you recommend getting the Aluminium Dolica Proline? The reviewers on Amazon note problems with the quality of the ball-head setup.

Thanks for any info...
The aluminum Dolica that I purchased was the Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head. It's presently sold by Amazon for less than $40.00. It's a steal at that price. I have had no problems with it. It is a light duty ball head, but supports my K20 + lens very well. While I have battery grips for my cameras, I don't use 'em when I tripod mount a camera and the biggest heaviest lens I use is the 55-300mm which is supported by the tripod adequately. Compact, light, cheap, and so far reliable tripod. Lots more positive opinions on Amazon than negative. I don't want to pack around a lot of heavy bulky stuff, so this tripod is perfect for what I use it for.

02-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
I ended up getting the Alumiminum AX620B100 and pretty impressed with it at that price. Thanks for the pointer!
02-21-2010, 01:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
EDIT: sorry, just saw, that the last post from the thread opener made my reply wholly obsolete…

Thanks very much!

Amazon.com: Dolica CX620B104 61-Inch Proline Carbon Fiber Tripod with Ball Head: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Velbon El Carmagne 530 Carbon Fiber Tripod with Pan Head and Case: Camera & Photo
I cannot comment on the Dolica, but I have and use the Velbon 540, which is the four section variaty of the 530.

The carry capacity is on the conservative side and it takes the stated 8.8. pounds easily and securely. I prefer that kind of statement way above the exagerrated numbers, some noname manufacturers give. The 25 lbs. is a typo in the Velbon marketing material, which has long been corrected, but some sellers forgot that…

Build quality is ver good and the tripod is very lightweight ans esily carryable wherever I go.

I do not use that pan-head, but prefer a ball head. I got the most lightweight quality head I could find and its cheap, too: Novoflex Ball 30. Carrying capacity matches the Velbon nicely and it weighs in at just over 200 grs.

The whole assembly easily carries my K20+grip+70-200/2.8, even with a 1.4x tc attached. If I do not extend the fourth section, which is very thin and thus more prone to vibrations, I can also use the K20+grip+ 400/5.6 lens.

The tripod is quite versatile, because you can nearly flatten out the legs for a very low shooting position (think macro-shots), as you can remove the lower part of the center column.

My Velbon 540 is among the best buys I have done over the last couple of years. I have much "better" tripods in terms of capacity or other features, but none can compete in the weight-versus-capacity range.

Ben