Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2010, 10:43 AM   #1

Choosing tripod...

I've recently bought a new DSLR and now is the time that I need to buy a new tripod. I've tried some in the past and I did"t find any of these convenient to me. I'm 190 cm tall (6'3") and I would like to buy one that is tall enough, in order not to bending my body all the time in frond of my tripod.

The one that it seems to to it's job is the Manfrotto 055. Are there any others that I should examine? Any advice?

*Sorry for my poor English...

02-08-2010, 01:20 PM   #2

I recently purchased the 055, coupled with the 222 joystick head. I'm 6'5" and at full extension plus the 8" of head height, the camera is actually a little too high

upgrading from an el-cheapo pan head tripod, the 055 is a marked improvement. it is a little underweight for working in strong wind or with fine detail, but anything heavier would be a real burden to carry around. if I had to find one thing to nit-pick, the "hook" Manfrotto has provided to hang your camera bag from is way too small
02-08-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Have a look at the MKII Benbo, it will extend up to about eight feet.

I'm six three and never had an issue with this truely versatile tripod.
02-08-2010, 05:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just snagged the 055xProB as well, though with the 322 head. That head is well worth the extra over the 222, and can be configured to be used just like the 222. I'm 6'4 and the combo is plenty high enough without extending the center column. Weight wasn't an issue for me, but if it's too much for you, there's also the carbon fiber version.

The Benbo was also a consideration for me, but the horizontal center column was also a factor for me. The Manfrotto was the only one that offered that and the height I needed.

02-08-2010, 06:20 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Look at Feisol.
I dumped my Manfrotto 055. Compared to the CF Feisol it is a clunky dinosaur.
I suspect that the 055 CF would be a nice unit.
02-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
I just snagged the 055xProB as well, though with the 322 head. That head is well worth the extra over the 222, and can be configured to be used just like the 222. I'm 6'4 and the combo is plenty high enough without extending the center column. Weight wasn't an issue for me, but if it's too much for you, there's also the carbon fiber version.

The Benbo was also a consideration for me, but the horizontal center column was also a factor for me. The Manfrotto was the only one that offered that and the height I needed.
You helped me a lot! It seems that we have exactly the same criteria. The other suggestions were good, but my budget won't let me buy something expensive... I wish that i could afford a carbon fiber tripod...
02-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #7

The 055xProB is one solid tripod. i got mine 2 weeks ago. Perfect. If it happens that you are outdoor on a windy day, the tripod offers a built in clip that you an attach a weight bag to . I'm 6ft tall and i can tell you it can go allot higher. I never needed to go higher then 6ft. The 498rc2 or rc4 is the perfect head allowing you to achieve superior control and making micro movements without having to totally lock and unlock the ball head in addition to the +90° -90° ball positioning and in the 360° pan movements.

As for the weight of the tripod, You wouldn't want anything lighter if you want a stable tripod. anything lighter will not make it a stable tripod regardless of the fact if it convenient to carrry around or not.

02-09-2010, 06:20 PM   #8
Inactive Account

One thing to watch for in the taller tripods is that they do not gain height by sacrificing leg width (or spread if you will). That's a bad thing in my opinion.

For example, my Manfrotto 3221 is the same height as my Induro C213 when fully extended (center column down of course) but the leg spread on the Manfrotto is a full 4 inches more than the Induro.

What this means to me is, the Induro is more prone to tipping and not nearly as stable as the old Manfrotto at max extension.

I wont walk away from the Induro, and it is rated at the same load handling capacity as the Manfrotto.
02-10-2010, 08:25 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Al_in_the_Shire Quote
One thing to watch for in the taller tripods is that they do not gain height by sacrificing leg width (or spread if you will). That's a bad thing in my opinion.

For example, my Manfrotto 3221 is the same height as my Induro C213 when fully extended (center column down of course) but the leg spread on the Manfrotto is a full 4 inches more than the Induro.

What this means to me is, the Induro is more prone to tipping and not nearly as stable as the old Manfrotto at max extension.

I wont walk away from the Induro, and it is rated at the same load handling capacity as the Manfrotto.
Nice tip!!! To be honest, I wouldn't think about it... I know that I am a newbie and all these advises are very useful to me...

One other thing, has anybody tried the Manfrotto Mstrap-1?
02-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't say I've tried it, only that I've seen it used with a decent sized setup (Canon 1 Series with at least a 300 f/2.8).
02-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #11

Impressionist: often overlooked, and I don't recall it being discussed too much, but the current day Tiltall tripod is really nice, heavy, stable and has a nice maximum height of between 60 inches (center tube un-extended) to 70 inches (center tube extended). I am 6 ft. tall and this one is just right for anything I do. Should cost you about $100.00 and about $15.00 for a bag. I know you can get 'em in silver or black and they used to make a gold colored model, too. An added feature is that one of the legs unscrews and the center tube bottom cap unscrews too; then threads into the leg to form a monopod, too. I used to have the old American made Leitz Tilt-all, but sold it and a few years ago purchased one of the new versions and am well pleased with it as well as the one I purchased for my son, too.
02-10-2010, 02:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I just purchased an aluminum benro travel angles for ~$220 (including a ball head). It has a weight of approximately 4lbs, folds to a length of 14.5in, and has a max rated load of 12kg. I find this tripod to be a good compromise between travelibility (yes I invented a new word) and stability. I am 6'3" and can use my camera without bending (with the center column almost all of the way up). If you are looking for a very stable tripod that you can still take on a plane or a hiking trip you should take a look at this tripod.

It is very stable, and seems to have good build quality. The first thing I did when I got it was take it apart . The legs are the twist type with aluminum threads and rubber inserts over them. Inside the tubes there are plastic inserts. When the pole is screwed in the inserts are compressed by the outer tube against the inner tube, creating a solid friction fit. while the inserts are plastic, they are made in such a way that I foresee them lasting a very long time.

I have not taken the ball-head apart yet... I got the ball-head that allows panning. Overall the quality seems good, however the head could operate smoother. For the price the ball head is adequate.
02-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

615315 Slik Pro 700DX AMT-Titanium Alloy Tripod with 3-Way Pan Head (Maximum Height 74.8", Supports up to 15 lbs)

I bought this tripod and like it. It feels very sturdy everytime I have used it and I have no problems using this tripod and I am 6'5