Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2010, 08:01 AM   #1
Forum Member

Fried K-M?

Will this setup result in a fried K-m?

I need better lighting but I don't want to fork up for a hotlight, radio trigger, or new flash just yet. This is how I did off-camera flash on my Ricoh KR5-SuperII(plastic K2000 knockoff) for dark concerts.

I'm not very electrically inclined, although I understand basics. Someone mentioned on here about using a safe PC cable or safe hotshoe adapter. Was hoping I already had a safe setup without knowing it.

Appreciate all feedback!!!!

Attached Images

Last edited by Sasquatch; 02-10-2010 at 08:42 AM.
02-10-2010, 09:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The best way to find out is to check the DC voltage between the trigger and ground pins of the flash with a digital multimeter (the side and centre contacts on the foot). There hasn't really been an official safe number released, but if it's under 24V DC you will probably be alright. Despite all the connectors and cables you have it looks like that setup still triggers the flash directly through the camera's hot shoe.

There are a number of other trigger voltage discussions in the Camera and Studio Accessories forum.
02-10-2010, 09:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The K-m only has hot shoe, no PC connector. So, whatever cables you mix, finally the trigger voltage will go through the hot shoe. Anything above the 24V can damage the camera. Perhaps not instantly, but over time, the circuits can die.

You should add a Wein SafeSync if your flash trigger voltage is too high.

Ben
02-10-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
The K-m only has hot shoe, no PC connector. So, whatever cables you mix, finally the trigger voltage will go through the hot shoe. Anything above the 24V can damage the camera. Perhaps not instantly, but over time, the circuits can die.

You should add a Wein SafeSync if your flash trigger voltage is too high.

Ben
..or just buy a compatible flash..that would be so much safer and cost effective.
If you buy the Wein safesync, you shell out $50 that you could have used on getting a dedicated flash or a safe compatible flash..or by just buying a compatible flash, you totally avoid damaging your $500+ camera..a very small investment to protect a very large investment (cost of camera).

02-10-2010, 06:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I took one look at a safe sync (~$100 CAD) at a local store and bought a second hand Vivitar 285 with a 5 volt sync and the matching off camera cord for $65 instead. The key to shopping for second hand flashes is to bring at least 4 AA batteries and a multimeter with you.
02-11-2010, 02:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
I took one look at a safe sync (~$100 CAD) at a local store and bought a second hand Vivitar 285 with a 5 volt sync and the matching off camera cord for $65 instead. The key to shopping for second hand flashes is to bring at least 4 AA batteries and a multimeter with you.
The 285 is a nice flash, as would be the even cheaper 283. Really good quality units - but, as you wrote, you really have to meter the trigger voltage, as there have been some production lots with very high voltages.

Ben
02-11-2010, 10:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I haven't checked lately, but a CTR301p radio trigger might actually be cheaper than the Wein, and it would be more versatile.