Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2010, 04:50 PM   #1

focusing screen install woes..

In the process of installing my travor focusing screen, I tilted the camera to be able to see what i was doing.

i am having trouble reassembling this thing but the one video i found makes it look so easy.

right now i have:

retainer clip -> focus screen -> original shim (Legs towards mirror, horizontal towards lens) is the current orientation.

When the screen says the object is focused, its not. The objects a few inches before the target are but the target is not. Is this front focusing or back focusing?

Also are the items in the correct order?

02-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
ixc

Original Poster
Ok i figured out the correct order by putting my stock screen back in.

But i know forsee a problem with the aftermarket screen so i have a question for all you screen gurus.

I used the link in this thread to print out a focus chart. I reordered the shims so that it goes: eyepiece, focusing screen, metal shim, paper shim, retaining clip. The focus is now closer than it has been but its still off. If i look for the green hexagon it takes a bit more turning before it lights up and stays solid. This is the correct focus point on paper.

Question: by adding layers after the focus screen am i really doing anything? The seller for the screen said listed a money back guarantee if it didnt work out. Should i contact them for a refund?
02-12-2010, 06:27 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately, you will probably need to shim your screen into the correct position.
This happens when the replacement screen isn't the same thickness as the stock screen.

Edit:

I got this from Rachel Katz in regard to my Katz-Eye screen for my K-7, which will also need to be shimmed into position:

The 0.40mm seems to be the default factory size and it is common for a
thinner shim to be required. They are quite inexpensive though, so it would
not be unreasonable to simply order one of each. Thinner shims will move
the indicated point of focus closer to the camera (correction for front
focus) and thicker shims move the indicated point of focus away from the
camera (correction for back focus).

Last edited by Wheatfield; 02-12-2010 at 07:00 AM. Reason: more info
02-12-2010, 06:44 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Adding more shims between the screen and retainer does no good.
If you have the screen against the prism with no shims. That is the closet you'll get. If the focus is still off, return the screen.

02-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
ixc

Original Poster
oddly enough i think i finally got this correct after much trial and error.

I decided to flip the screen over (tab toward the shutter button) and the focus was much closer. After several tries of removing/adding shims, I realized that i was just missing the point of focus.

I took out the metal shim and only used 2 'post-it' shims and its pretty dang close
02-13-2010, 05:18 AM   #6
Inactive Account

if you have a frontfocus, you need smaller shims. Rachel Katz from Katzeye says 0.25 is the most common one, it was true for me. If you have a back focus, you need thicker ones.

She does an awesome support
02-13-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ixc Quote
oddly enough i think i finally got this correct after much trial and error.

I decided to flip the screen over (tab toward the shutter button) and the focus was much closer. After several tries of removing/adding shims, I realized that i was just missing the point of focus.

I took out the metal shim and only used 2 'post-it' shims and its pretty dang close
I posted this three weeks ago in here.
The Travor screen indeed goes "backwards" into the camera.

Try the following:

First put in the metal shims, then the Travor screen "backwards", then the retainer clip.
Focus is spot-on on my K-x like this.

We really gotta make a sticky about the Travor screen going backwards.
The first time, I had absolutely everything dust free, second time, not so much.

02-13-2010, 07:06 PM   #8
ixc

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Diffusion Quote
I posted this three weeks ago in here.
The Travor screen indeed goes "backwards" into the camera.

Try the following:

First put in the metal shims, then the Travor screen "backwards", then the retainer clip.
Focus is spot-on on my K-x like this.

We really gotta make a sticky about the Travor screen going backwards.
The first time, I had absolutely everything dust free, second time, not so much.
i agree on the sticky for the travor screen as well as something to indicate the correction for both front focusing and back focusing. I searched and searched the forums and couldnt find an exact definition either. It was A LOT of experimenting. In the end my focusing screen has a few unwanted 'trails' in the matte area but its an aesthetics thing.