Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2007, 03:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sigma EF-500 Super Problem.

I've got a Sigma EF-500 Super and have the same problem I had with my EF-500 ST.

As you all know the flash adjusts to the focal length of the lens, well the problem I had with the ST and now with the Super is a gear grinding noise and then the flash unit locks up.

This evening I was taking photos of my girlfriends puppy so I was moving the zoom in and out a bit making the flash do a bit of work. However this was for less than 5 minutes and I shot less than 20 photos.

TOTAL this flash has fired less than 50 times and is under 3 months old.

The ST failed whist shooting a wedding (!!!). I'd flattened 2 sets of batteries that day so it had earned it's keep but was still a problem that shouldn't have happened.

The problem was experienced with the ST on my *istDL, this failure was on my K10D. Am I just unlucky or is there something I'm doing wrong?

The Super has the latest (as at the start of May) firmware in it. When the ST failed the service report said the whole internals of the flash head were replaced and they found a stripped plastic gear.

The service agent upgraded me from a ST to a Super last time the flash failed, is there a better flash (genuine Pentax?) that is better than the Super that I can aim for this time?