Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2010, 09:59 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Kata 3N1-30 or other for a bigger guy?

Hey all,

I've been looking for a backpack and have read a million posts about a lot of different ones. I'm really liking the looks of the Kata 3N1-30. I am about 5'9" and over 250lbs. I have read people saying that some of the bags by Lowepro & others won't really be comfy on us bigger folks. Does anyone have any experience with this "embarrassing" subject? I am nowhere close to any place where I could see these in person so I'm going just off of other people's reviews. If my size weren't an issue I'd snatch up the Kata based on all the features that it has. I'm open to other suggestions based on experiences.

Thanks!

George
K20d

02-20-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey George, I would say that the Kata would definitely be your best bet. Even though I'm a recent convert away from the Kata 3-N-1 to the Lowepro Fastpack 350, I knew I would miss the sheer perfection of the Kata's strap system (although I miss nothing else!).

With the Fastpack, even though you can sling the bag around to the front in order to get side access, it's more difficult to keep the bag at the front since the strap hangs off the one shoulder instead of wrapping around your back like the Kata. Therefore, it has the tendency to want to drift over to that one side as you're digging around for stuff. I guess, then, that the Fastpack is more of a "pseudo-sling".

For the record, I only looked beyond Kata because I didn't find there were enough nooks and crannies for accessories like there are in the Fastpack. The Kata 3-N-1's, IMO, are definitely not laid out as well as the Fastpack; they have those goofy little side pockets on either side of the top compartment that I find practically useless, whereas the Fastpack has larger pockets in addition to the large top compartment.

Last edited by enoxatnep; 02-20-2010 at 09:37 PM.
02-20-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gsrokmix Quote
Hey all,

I've been looking for a backpack and have read a million posts about a lot of different ones. I'm really liking the looks of the Kata 3N1-30. I am about 5'9" and over 250lbs. I have read people saying that some of the bags by Lowepro & others won't really be comfy on us bigger folks. Does anyone have any experience with this "embarrassing" subject? I am nowhere close to any place where I could see these in person so I'm going just off of other people's reviews. If my size weren't an issue I'd snatch up the Kata based on all the features that it has. I'm open to other suggestions based on experiences.

Thanks!

George
K20d
George,
'
I bought the 3-n-1 33 bag. The strap system is changeable. You can use it as a sling bag or as a traditional back pack.

I'm 5' 10" at about 240#.

If you have a spare tire, as I do, you'll find the bag will tend to sit on top. However, I find it to be quite comfortable.

Pros. Well built. Excellent and versatile strap system. Hold a lot of gear. Better quality than the Lowepro.

Cons. In the sling position, you can only easily get to the camera.

The Lowepro Slingshot bags allow you access to the camea and to a couple of lens.
02-21-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies guys. The reason I thought the Kata looked cool was because it could be a sling or regular backpack. None of the Lowepros (AFAIK) are convertible like this. I think since I've never used a sling bag I'd be more comfortable knowing I could use it as a backpack. I know the Lowepros are well made and very popular. My regular bag is a Lowepro & I love it. My main concern was either of them fitting my body. It's a drag that the LP's don't have a way to carry a tripod & the Kata's system will probably not fit my Feisol. The Fastpack 350 looks like it's a pretty big bag. I've read that a big downer for the Kata is the small side pockets.

Thanks for your opinions!

George

02-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, I'm the opposite of you - I'm a tiny female (like just over 5'). I own the Kata 3N1-30 bag that I finally bought when I got the DA*300 and it wouldn't fit into the Lowepro Slingshot 200. I like it a lot - I use those little side pockets for filters and step-up rings (IR on one side, polarizer on the other). It works really well, but I now have enough stuff that weight has become an issue - I shouldn't carry as much as I do. I love the strap configuration - when hiking with a lot of weight I'll use the shoulder straps cross-shoulder and the hip strap, undoing 2 of the 3 straps that I don't need to sling the bag (I access both sides of the bag). If I'm just carrying it around town I'll wear it as a backpack and stow the hip strap (I had looked at the Slingshot 300, but you can't stow the hipstrap).

I have good-sized lenses and the way I have the bag organized, I can get to all of them without removing the bag. I do access from both sides of the bag - something you can't do with the Slingshots. I have the dividers organized so that the lenses on the side with the camera face up. My regular set up is main compartment: across the bottom of the bag - DA*300 and Viv 105 macro (it's slot is much bigger than the lens is); center section - camera with DA*200 mounted and a divider. Below the divider, with access from the other side of the bag is a rocket air blower. Top section has DA 12-24 and DA*50-135 (this is a tight fit), with a divider below them. The DA 10-17 is below them, access from the other side of the bag. Top section is plenty big for flash and stand, remotes, rain cover, small reflector, extra battery, lens cleaning brush, hex wrenches for tripod and a couple of other little things I'm not remembering right now.

I also have the optional tripod carrier. My tripod (Gitzo 2541) works well enough and is a more comfortable and elegant solution that what I did for carrying it with the Lowepro. I think that's as long of a tripod that would work with the carrier without jury-rigging something.

The one thing I prefer about the Lowepro Slingshots is the rain cover. The Slingshots have the rain cover stowed in the back of the bag, in it's own compartment, and is stitched to the bag. All you do is slip it out and over the bag. The Kata's rain cover is a separate item in it's own case. So it takes up room in the top that I could potentially use for something else, and I'm always worried about losing it.
02-22-2010, 02:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed n Georgia Quote
Cons. In the sling position, you can only easily get to the camera.
Set the dividers in horizontal position, then you can access everything through the quick access
02-22-2010, 06:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I think it is a great bag, holds a ton of stuff. In fact, as mtngal said it does get quite heavy if you load it down with as much as it can hold (and I am a big guy, for reference!).

Since I was curious before I bought mine (I do have the 30), the 30 will take in the k20d/grip and 50-135 with hood extended (quite easily). I couldn't find a list of your lenses, but if you don't have anything that big, the 20 might be a better fit. With the 30, I can fit 2 bodies (Kx and K20/grip), 5-6 lenses (I am going to florida tomorrow, and have packed the 18-55, 12-24, 50-135, 50mm macro and 50mm f1.7), flash, a filter holder with 6 filters, and that is just in the main compartment. There is plenty of room in the top for other accessories and a netbook as well.

02-22-2010, 08:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
Set the dividers in horizontal position, then you can access everything through the quick access
I'll give that a try. Thanks

Ed
02-22-2010, 08:40 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I just bought the Kata 3N1 20 and I'm 6'3", 235 lbs. I have broad shoulders and often find it difficult to easily fit back packs on...not so with the Kata. The only suggestion I would make to Kata is to have a padded chest belt...other than that I like it.
02-22-2010, 10:00 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the info. I'm definitely leaning towards the Kata. I will be using the K20w/ grip & most of the time the FA 100-300 is on the camera. I also have a 400mm which is quite long so I'd have to stuff that in there somewhere as well.

Thanks again!

George
02-22-2010, 10:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the info. I'm definitely leaning towards the Kata. I will be using the K20w/ grip & most of the time the FA 100-300 is on the camera. I also have a 400mm which is quite long so I'd have to stuff that in there somewhere as well.

Thanks again!

George
I have a tokina 400mm f5.6 which is about as long as the 50-135 with hood attached, so if you do want the ability to put that in the bag without having to dismount the lens the 30 would be your best bet.
02-22-2010, 11:11 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Thanks again!

George
I usually have my K10D, with battery grip and 55-300 attached. Also my Pentax 10-17 Fisheye, sits in it's case...with still room for more....in my 3N1 20.
02-22-2010, 02:43 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I can fit the Bigma (locked closed) quite nicely in the top compartment of the -30 bag. Below that I commonly keep the K20D, grip, DA 35mm, another small LTD lens, and another zoom.

The tripod pouch can carry a monopod, or a compact backpacking tripod, but anything heavier like the old-style Manfrottos, are simply too large.

I'm 5'9" but on the leaner side. If the hike extends beyond a mile or is major uphill, I'll engage the belt clip.

Those side pockets are just fine! I fit batteries, bus schedules, remote, small filters, etc. there.

A great bag.

M

Thanks again!

George
02-22-2010, 11:30 PM   #14
Closed Account

The Fastpack 350 looks like it's a pretty big bag.
To my recollection, it's about the same size as the Kata 3-N-1 30. What I didn't like about the Kata is its very boxy appearance, whereas the 350 is more rounded. Just one of those preference things.
02-22-2010, 11:35 PM   #15
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
I do access from both sides of the bag - something you can't do with the Slingshots.
Even though you can also only access one side of the bag with the Lowepro Fastpack 350 (zippers all face one side), I prefer this to having to switch the Kata around to reach the compartments on the other side. Something else to think about when trying to decide on the best bag for your needs.