Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2007, 06:10 PM   #1

A different monopod

There are lots of different types of monopods, but they all use some form of swivel/ball head with or w/o a quick release. This usually involves screwing a plate on the bottom of the camera or for those w/o a QR, screwing the camera onto the ball head/swivel mount.

I was checking out some new options for a monopod and came across the Trek Tech monopod/hiking staff. This monopod (which coverts to a tripod of sorts) uses a magnet quick release. Rated at 9 pounds, it should hold most Pentax digitals with moderate lenses, and should that not be enough, there is a slip on security holder that connects the QR to the ball head. The quick release set up involves a small screw on adapter (about 1 inch in diameter and 1/4 inch thick). This is captured by the magnet on the head of the tripod.

I wasn't sure about the monopod, so I took a trip to the local Wolf Camera store to see the Sunpak/Quantaray version. Identical in all respects except that the Quantaray version does not include a hiking knob (which is essential for trail use - it covers the ball head to protect it). But, I bought the one from Wolf as it was there and I could give it a try. Stock, it proved quick to extend (only one extension) and goes from about 48 inches to 62 inches. Simply hold the top tube and bottom tube, twist, extend, and twist back to lock. The bottom feet of the tripod are held together with a velcro strap and the very bottom are solid rubber tips. For rocky terrain, I cut a piece of bicycle handle bar grip (mountain bike) and that provides better traction and protects the tripod tips as well. Since the ball head can be removed, I can transfer it to a hiking stick (Leki) and it works well in that mode too (except the Leki does not extend to 60 inches). The only draw back with the Wolf unit is the lack of hiking knob. The staff is heavier than many monopods (1.6 pounds), but is sturdy and the magnetic mount is super.

You can buy the ball head alone (Adorama has them), but the staff is the fastest and easiest to use of those I tried lately (I do like the Manfrotto automatic and Neopods, but they are less rugged).

Wayne

07-06-2007, 03:17 PM   #2

I bought the Trekpod about 2 months ago. I've only used it once, at a 3-day Volleyball tournament, and only used it in monopod mode.

I found the magnetic mount system to be very good, with one small but glaring problem...

The system comes with a heavy and a regular magnet for the camera, and they are attached using the screw socket on the camera. I screwed in the heavy magnet and was happily using it on the first day. I would shoot some shots, then remove the camera from the Trekpod and move on. The magnet was left on the camera.

Unfortunately, I didn't tighten the magnet screw enough (I guess), because I went to mount it again, and the magnet was gone!

The next day, I was forced to use the lighter-weight magnet. It worked fine, but I still don't feel as secure with it and will be ordering another heavy magnet mount soon.

I didn't expect to have that kind of problem.

I still think the Trekpod is a woderful system!

Ian Mc.
07-06-2007, 03:56 PM   #3

Original Poster
I have found that the heavy mount needs to be secured using a coin. Otherwise, it will loosen if you turn the camera on the ball head (which I have been known to do). I guess that is why they have the coin slot on the bottom of the mount.

I too only use it in the monopod mode, so adding the bicycle grip to the bottom was not an issue. Just in case, I bought a couple of extra heavy mounts (one at a local camera store, the other at Adorama).

Wayne