Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2007, 05:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does anyone here use Katz Eye split screen?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

At $95 is not cheap, at least not for me. What are your experiences?

I'm considering one for my k100d. How difficult are these to install?

Thanks

Deni

07-04-2007, 06:05 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
At $95 is not cheap, at least not for me. What are your experiences?

I'm considering one for my k100d. How difficult are these to install?

Thanks

Deni
I'd be interested to read about this too. The only thing I "know" is that it possibly interferes with metering and the split-prism goes black on lenses slower than F4.5 but this is just picking up bits and pieces around the internet, no serious review yet.

Mike
07-04-2007, 06:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

There are Chinese versions which can be had for significantly less money. I think I paid about $28, including shipping. They're a breeze to install. I have found that a slight compensation on the EV is beneficial and certainly worth the extra convenience and accuracy the screen provides for those of us who extensively use manual focus lenses.

Do a search on the forum and you should turn up quite a bit of useful info from the past few months.
07-04-2007, 06:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Like a lot of things, the Katz Eye is a compromise. I have one on my DS. It works fine and is a huge help in manual focusing, but (there is always a but, right ) it severely effects spot metering. It effects other metering modes by about 1/3 to 1/2 a stop, depending on the lens mounted. Read the metering effects page at Katz optics site to see for your body.

I did not install one on my K10, because I own mostly AF lenses now and I use spot metering a lot more often.

The product itself is first class. Very well made. As good or better than an OEM screen. They will also custom make a screen to your specs.

Hope this helpps.

07-04-2007, 06:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
The only thing I "know" is that it possibly interferes with metering and the split-prism goes black on lenses slower than F4.5 but this is just picking up bits and pieces around the internet, no serious review yet.
I read what they claim on Katz Eye's website and they say it doesn't affect metering and that their technology or design or both have shown no blackening up to f/22 (apparently they or someone else has tried it till there).

QuoteQuote:
There are Chinese versions which can be had for significantly less money. I think I paid about $28, including shipping. They're a breeze to install. I have found that a slight compensation on the EV is beneficial and certainly worth the extra convenience and accuracy the screen provides for those of us who extensively use manual focus lenses.

Do a search on the forum and you should turn up quite a bit of useful info from the past few months.
What's the brand name (what should I look for?). Where did you get it from? Does your copy darken with lower apertures? Common experience is that anything lower than f/5.6 is too dark.

QuoteQuote:
Like a lot of things, the Katz Eye is a compromise. I have one on my DS. It works fine and is a huge help in manual focusing, but (there is always a but, right ) it severely effects spot metering. It effects other metering modes by about 1/3 to 1/2 a stop, depending on the lens mounted. Read the metering effects page at Katz optics site to see for your body.
How does it work when the lenses are stopped down? Does it darken a lot?

QuoteQuote:
They will also custom make a screen to your specs.
Checked that one as well and they look great, but can't afford it. Hell I can't even afford the Katz Eye for $95 but I'm thinking which body part I need the least .

Thanks for the input !

Deni
07-05-2007, 02:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just ordered this split screen from China. Lets hope it works fine .

Can someone who has already replaced their screen write a brief instruction how to do it on a k100d.

Thanks

Deni
07-05-2007, 02:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The instructions on the Katz Eye site work just fine even for screens from other makers. You need a pair of tweezers, something to unhook the latch (I used a 90 degree bend dental pick), and maybe a folded lens tissue to lay across the mirror if you want.

07-05-2007, 03:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
The instructions on the Katz Eye site
Can you please post a link to the instructions cos I can't find them.