Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2010, 09:47 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was wrestling with a similar issue a couple of weeks ago. I ended up using the factory strap on the K100D shortened as much as it would go. I then purchased a Quantaray neoprene strap ($12) from Wolf Camera for my K20. Even though the new strap wasn't at full extension, there was plenty of room to manipulate both cameras around my neck simultaniously. When I had a very long lens with hood on the K100, I would have to tilt the camera down to bring the K20 up to my eye, but it was a small price to pay to have two bodies at the ready at any given time. The only problem that I ran into was that the stuff on my belt would occasionally turn off the SR on my K20 for me. I suppose that it's only an issue if you're wearing a "Batman" belt, though.

02-27-2010, 12:24 PM   #17
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Thanks again Brit!
This is a good option .... about same price too. The CoupleR is a must, as I can see from the pics on the Black Rapid website.
Really, the only deterrent would be this wobbling of the cameras but I guess with the available extra straps and a bit of do-it-yourself tweaking, this could well be the way to go.
I am investigating into the other brand mentioned earlier in another post by Snowstorm ... the Cotton Carrier system. This would be the second option.
I have to decide what's best for me. Both are equal in quality and of course, that always makes things confusing.

For your low back thing: just make sure you also wear very good footwear, no matter where you are/do!

JP
I definitely wear decent footwear.

One final thing in favour of the RS-5. I only use the double strap when the need arises (obviously) so the RS-5 is on my camera over 95% of the time. I cannot stress strongly enough how comfortable it is. Anything new takes a little time to get used to but once I got used to it, seriously, I can carry my K20 (with grip) and a large lens (Sigma 24-60) all day and pretty much forget that it's there.
03-01-2010, 07:57 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I definitely wear decent footwear.

One final thing in favour of the RS-5. I only use the double strap when the need arises (obviously) so the RS-5 is on my camera over 95% of the time. I cannot stress strongly enough how comfortable it is. Anything new takes a little time to get used to but once I got used to it, seriously, I can carry my K20 (with grip) and a large lens (Sigma 24-60) all day and pretty much forget that it's there.
Thanks for the report, appreciated.

JP
04-08-2010, 02:49 PM   #19

I made a DIY Rapid Strap last weekend. I like the new carrying style (quick draw, feels lighter, less conspicuous), but the camera constantly rubs against my hipbone area as I walk, and I'm afraid that the wear on camera and lens would be excessive.
I rest my hand on my camera or lens to dampen its move, but it still rattles between my hand and pants. 2-3 mile walk is about 10,000 steps in my case, so that's 10,000 rubbings per hour when hiking. Rapid strap users, what's your experience on this?

I'm thinking perhaps I need to buy a camera armor (expensive!) or maybe I should bandage up corners and sides for protection (but what would I do with the lens?) Resulting uglification will reduce risk of theft, I suppose...

04-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaro Quote
I made a DIY Rapid Strap last weekend. I like the new carrying style (quick draw, feels lighter, less conspicuous), but the camera constantly rubs against my hipbone area as I walk, and I'm afraid that the wear on camera and lens would be excessive.
I rest my hand on my camera or lens to dampen its move, but it still rattles between my hand and pants. 2-3 mile walk is about 10,000 steps in my case, so that's 10,000 rubbings per hour when hiking. Rapid strap users, what's your experience on this?

I'm thinking perhaps I need to buy a camera armor (expensive!) or maybe I should bandage up corners and sides for protection (but what would I do with the lens?) Resulting uglification will reduce risk of theft, I suppose...

Pics/instructions/materials???
04-09-2010, 08:50 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
(For Pentaro) I wonder if you couldn't just hang a flap of neoprene from your belt to cover that hip area, or something, perhaps with a grippy side out to slow down the motion, or just a soft-smooth surface to minimize the rubbing effects. Then it wouldn't have to be in your way when shooting at all.
04-10-2010, 05:42 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I only use the double strap when the need arises (obviously) so the RS-5 is on my camera over 95% of the time.
The new RS DR-1 Double Strap breaks down to allow one side to be used as an individual strap so you can have the best of both worlds. It is compatible with the Mods... Brad, J1 and J2.

Better yet, note the ability to couple two RS1 - RS5 together with the CoupleR, yielding the potential for two straps, always attached to the cameras, that can be joined when necessary.

Two RS7's = 120.00 +16 for the coupler and it is really not all that more expensive than the DR-1.

woof