Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Straps of all kinds but which one for carrying two cameras?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

So, 90% of my photo outings are in nature, more often than not in rugged trails and unbeaten paths. Often along the shore of a salt marsh and the St Lawrence River (salt water).

So, I need a great strap "system" which is:
1. secure! I don't want to drop my cameras in salt water or on rocks
2. comfortable: lots of weight carrying two camera bodies with lenses attached.
3. durable: no flimsy plasticky-like material.

I have looked all over, including this very site here (and its search engine) and found litterally hundreds of threads and posts on the subject matter: STRAPS!

Because of that, it has been increasingly more confusing to decide what to buy.

First option which seemed to be the best for me was the R-Strap system by Black Rapid .... until I noticed that the cameras would hang down in a wobbly manner near your waist/hips and possibly become a hazard in likely encounters with trees, branches, rocks , etc ...
This system doesn't allow for tripod/monopod use, unless you remove the swivel part under the camera.
However, that wouldn't be a problem as I do most of my bird/nature pics handheld, except for some long exposure shots once in a while.
This question goes to those using the R-Strap system:
I wonder is how "high" is this system allowing you to carry your gear? Can it be as high as your "belly", for instance, and not having two cameras dangling all over at thigh height?

Second option, was a "holster" type of carrying gear: problem is that you have a loose camera in your hand(s) and, if not also fitted with a strap, you are likely to drop the camera one of these days.
So, by combining this system with a reasonably good and comfortable strap, it would likely be better than the R-Strap -- I saw that one can attach a quick-release plate on the camera(s) as well with this holster-type gear.

Third option was simply getting a "normal" strap (or combining two of them in some way) but wide enough at the neck/shoulder level for a comfortable fit and proper weight distribution.

Lots of options out there; lots of choices, lots of confusion.

If anyone can jump in and suggest something, based of the infornmation provided above, I would certainly be most happy!

Cheers!

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 02-25-2010 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Spelling
02-25-2010, 11:10 AM   #2
Damn Brit

I have the Black Rapid Double Strap - Double Strap BlackRapid.com and I found it a great solution for being out in the wilds. Much better than carrying a bag, I just wear a photographers vest that has plenty of pockets to accommodate extra lenses and the other bits and pieces.
The tripod issue isn't one with me, I have a Giottos ballhead and the QR plates have a D-ring attached to the screw. I just leave the plates on my cameras and the swivel clip attaches to them, it's just a matter of unclipping when using the tripod.
You can make the straps pretty short so that they don't hang down too low.
If you are climbing and lean forward or bend over, obviously the cameras are going to want to swing forward. I would recommend getting the CoupleR CoupleR BlackRapid.com to go with the double strap. It pulls the straps closer together on your back and keeps the cameras hanging tighter to your body when you need them to. You get two in a pack.
I did have an initial issue with my back when I first started to use the double strap. I think it's to do with how carrying the two cameras like that changes your centre of gravity (or something like that). Having said that though, it could just be me, I tore a disc a couple of years ago so I do have a weakness in the lower back. I also have battery grips on my k10 and k20 so that adds to the weight.
I think it's a great solution and the fact that you can get the camera up to the eye so quickly and smoothly is a big plus.
02-25-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I suppose one question would be: how heavy are these two camera/lens combinations you intend to carry? I don't suppose in general I think much of trying to attach cameras to *each other* in any particular way. Seems they'd be bound to bang into each other and otherwise get tangled all the time.

Optech makes a set of double- camera strap links, though, I believe, kind of more for dedicated around-the-neck wearers who'd like to also have field glasses handy as well, I think.

I don't get too fancy: what I like to do when working with multiple bodies is to use a conventional shoulder bag: (a holster could work as well for this) each camera has a strap, and the two rotate between bag, the shoulder on the same side, and my right hand. (Hand straps might help with security, there, I just have a habit of looping the regular one around my wrist, or sometimes I'll wear it around my neck and just control it with the same hand: I do this with heavier rigs or medium format, ) ...this is really a way of doing stuff that I developed to slip through crowds and interior spaces and such, but it works pretty well in woodland as well.

Just for some ideas. There's also these HoldSLR things and Kento's company's belt holder design that might be of use, both on the thread that says HoldSLR.

I dunno, though: Brit's setup seems pretty stylin.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 02-25-2010 at 11:26 AM.
02-25-2010, 01:41 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I have the Black Rapid Double Strap - Double Strap BlackRapid.com and I found it a great solution for being out in the wilds. Much better than carrying a bag, I just wear a photographers vest that has plenty of pockets to accommodate extra lenses and the other bits and pieces.
The tripod issue isn't one with me, I have a Giottos ballhead and the QR plates have a D-ring attached to the screw. I just leave the plates on my cameras and the swivel clip attaches to them, it's just a matter of unclipping when using the tripod.I saw something similar once in a video but you just couldn't see what brand this was; I searched the web for this set up which you have but couldn't find it: meaning the actual Giottos ballhead /w the QR plates/D-rings. Would you mind guiding me a bit or if you have a link to that effect?
You can make the straps pretty short so that they don't hang down too low.
If you are climbing and lean forward or bend over, obviously the cameras are going to want to swing forward. I would recommend getting the CoupleR CoupleR BlackRapid.com to go with the double strap. It pulls the straps closer together on your back and keeps the cameras hanging tighter to your body when you need them to. You get two in a pack.Indeed, I saw that at the Black Rapid website. I had in mind to order the extra Couple-R as well.
I did have an initial issue with my back when I first started to use the double strap. I think it's to do with how carrying the two cameras like that changes your centre of gravity (or something like that). Having said that though, it could just be me, I tore a disc a couple of years ago so I do have a weakness in the lower back. I also have battery grips on my k10 and k20 so that adds to the weight.
I think it's a great solution and the fact that you can get the camera up to the eye so quickly and smoothly is a big plus.
The issue of LBP (lower back pain) surely seems to be related to the previous discal injury. Adjusting to the forward gravity line with added anterior weight to your body can also be a source of LBP but that usually will settle on its own once you have become used to the extra weight; this again can be counteracted with proper postural mechanics.
Are you tall? This also is present in a lot of taller people.

The R-strap system is not cheap but I too carry two cameras fitted with grips and long lenses, so I don't want to go cheap and risk injury to myself ... and the cameras!
Thanks for the great information.

JP

02-25-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I suppose one question would be: how heavy are these two camera/lens combinations you intend to carry? I don't suppose in general I think much of trying to attach cameras to *each other* in any particular way. Seems they'd be bound to bang into each other and otherwise get tangled all the time.
The set up is as this:
1. K7/grip/DA*300 f4, sometimes with a TC.
2. K20D/grip/Tamron 70-200 f2.8.

Optech makes a set of double- camera strap links, though, I believe, kind of more for dedicated around-the-neck wearers who'd like to also have field glasses handy as well, I think.
I haven' checked this company, but will. You never know, they could have something interesting.
I don't get too fancy: what I like to do when working with multiple bodies is to use a conventional shoulder bag: (a holster could work as well for this) each camera has a strap, and the two rotate between bag, the shoulder on the same side, and my right hand. (Hand straps might help with security, there, I just have a habit of looping the regular one around my wrist, or sometimes I'll wear it around my neck and just control it with the same hand: I do this with heavier rigs or medium format, ) ...this is really a way of doing stuff that I developed to slip through crowds and interior spaces and such, but it works pretty well in woodland as well.
True enough ... a good bag is very handy, and I have one, but I found it rather clumsy when "bushing around" in tight trails and unbeaten trails, as well as on slippery rock surfaces.

Just for some ideas. There's also these HoldSLR things and Kento's company's belt holder design that might be of use, both on the thread that says HoldSLR.
Going to check this out right away after I close this post!
I dunno, though: Brit's setup seems pretty stylin.
Thanks for the info!

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 02-25-2010 at 03:33 PM. Reason: spelling
02-25-2010, 02:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi Jacques,

I carry two bodies with long teles quite a bit, and have found the Cotton Carrier to be the most comfortable and secure system for me. The cameras don't bang around on my hips or thighs, nor do they get in the way when moving in close quarters. The shoulder straps looked a bit narrow for comfort, but with a K20 + 300/2.8 and K-7 + 300/4.5, I've found it very comfortable for a whole afternoon of shooting. It looks a bit geeky, but I also use photo vests, so I guess I'm not much into stylin'. . .

Another alternative might be a CC "holster" for one body and a neckstrap for the second. . .

Cotton Carrier Camera Systems

I personally don't like or use neckstraps, preferring grip straps on my cameras, so I've been using Camdapter grip straps for some time. They are by quite some margin the best quality items of this type I've found. Grip straps offer a security option to neck straps without the bother of a long strap hanging down from the camera, and are a perfect match for the CC system.

Camdapter(TM) | Hand Strap Solutions for DSLR cameras | Made in the USA!

I've used both the Arca Swiss and Manfrotto plate bases, and both easily clear the battery door on any of the Pentax DSLRs, so it's no problem leaving them attached to the camera all the time. Cotton Carrier also now markets a grip strap with an integral CC base, so this might be another option.

Admittedly, all of this is pretty pricey stuff, but for me, it's cheap insurance for carrying up to $6K worth of hard-to-replace gear at one time. . .

Scott
02-25-2010, 03:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi Jacques,

I carry two bodies with long teles quite a bit, and have found the Cotton Carrier to be the most comfortable and secure system for me. The cameras don't bang around on my hips or thighs, nor do they get in the way when moving in close quarters. The shoulder straps looked a bit narrow for comfort, but with a K20 + 300/2.8 and K-7 + 300/4.5, I've found it very comfortable for a whole afternoon of shooting. It looks a bit geeky, but I also use photo vests, so I guess I'm not much into stylin'. . .

Another alternative might be a CC "holster" for one body and a neckstrap for the second. . .

Cotton Carrier Camera Systems

I personally don't like or use neckstraps, preferring grip straps on my cameras, so I've been using Camdapter grip straps for some time. They are by quite some margin the best quality items of this type I've found. Grip straps offer a security option to neck straps without the bother of a long strap hanging down from the camera, and are a perfect match for the CC system.

Camdapter(TM) | Hand Strap Solutions for DSLR cameras | Made in the USA!

I've used both the Arca Swiss and Manfrotto plate bases, and both easily clear the battery door on any of the Pentax DSLRs, so it's no problem leaving them attached to the camera all the time. Cotton Carrier also now markets a grip strap with an integral CC base, so this might be another option.

Admittedly, all of this is pretty pricey stuff, but for me, it's cheap insurance for carrying up to $6K worth of hard-to-replace gear at one time. . .

Scott
Thanks for the info session, Scott.
The CC system is another great way to go from what I've seen at their website. Seems very comfortable and sturdy too.
The video shows Mt Cotton handling two large cameras/lenses (three, actually) but one thing that keeps coming back to haunt me is the fact that you can easily drop the camera!
Now, you say that you use the Campdater hand starp in unison with the CC system.
I just don't understand how having this will be an additional safety option though. It's OK to have a good "grip" on your camera but just to transfer it from the CC system to your hand(s) increases the possibility to drop it, right? Or am I completely off track here?

Thanks a bunch ... waiting for further info if you don't mind.

JP

Edit: I don't have the Arca Swiss nor Manfrotto plates; I use a Velbon gear, the QB-635L Anti-Twist Quick Release Plate , which is a very good one, but not sure if it would fit with the system you are describing.

Last edited by jpzk; 02-25-2010 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Added info
02-25-2010, 04:33 PM   #8
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
The issue of LBP (lower back pain) surely seems to be related to the previous discal injury. Adjusting to the forward gravity line with added anterior weight to your body can also be a source of LBP but that usually will settle on its own once you have become used to the extra weight; this again can be counteracted with proper postural mechanics.
Are you tall? This also is present in a lot of taller people.

Yes, I am tall.

The R-strap system is not cheap but I too carry two cameras fitted with grips and long lenses, so I don't want to go cheap and risk injury to myself ... and the cameras!
Thanks for the great information.

JP
No worries, glad I could help. Another option to consider would be to get two of the RS-5 straps RS-5 R-Strap BlackRapid.com Price would work out the same and I think they would give you distinct advantages. You could use them individually when you only have one camera. I think, because they are worn across the shoulder, weight distribution would be more comfortable. You have the added bonus of the wallets on the strap. I don't have two but I just tried mine on and they cross over the chest quite high up so I don't think there would be an issue with the uppermost strap getting in the way of bringing the other camera up to shooting position. I would still recommend getting the CoupleR as well though. I think an alternative way of using them might be through a belt loop and around the strap in front of the camera to stop it moving forward when you are climbing or bending.
02-25-2010, 05:08 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
No worries, glad I could help. Another option to consider would be to get two of the RS-5 straps RS-5 R-Strap BlackRapid.com Price would work out the same and I think they would give you distinct advantages. You could use them individually when you only have one camera. I think, because they are worn across the shoulder, weight distribution would be more comfortable. You have the added bonus of the wallets on the strap. I don't have two but I just tried mine on and they cross over the chest quite high up so I don't think there would be an issue with the uppermost strap getting in the way of bringing the other camera up to shooting position. I would still recommend getting the CoupleR as well though. I think an alternative way of using them might be through a belt loop and around the strap in front of the camera to stop it moving forward when you are climbing or bending.
Thanks again Brit!
This is a good option .... about same price too. The CoupleR is a must, as I can see from the pics on the Black Rapid website.
Really, the only deterrent would be this wobbling of the cameras but I guess with the available extra straps and a bit of do-it-yourself tweaking, this could well be the way to go.
I am investigating into the other brand mentioned earlier in another post by Snowstorm ... the Cotton Carrier system. This would be the second option.
I have to decide what's best for me. Both are equal in quality and of course, that always makes things confusing.

For your low back thing: just make sure you also wear very good footwear, no matter where you are/do!

JP
02-25-2010, 07:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Yeah, I think that with those lenses, the Optech thing I mentioned has no chance of working: it sounded closest to what you're describing, but all it is is a regular neck strap that had two sets of links. So you could conceivably hang one camera over another, right in front of you, but one would have to be pretty small. I think you need more serious harness.

Optech's a good company, though: they make a lot of useful things, mostly a selection of links that can attach their straps to about everything, which is probably why I mention them so much here. Otherwise, they just do some kind of nice things with neoprene, rather than anything really all that fancy.

The R-strap thing looks pretty flexible, though, considering. And you could wear it under a trenchcoat, so you can dramatically sweep it aside. Get some cool shades, techno music... (Actually, it does look pretty good in the compatible-with-street-clothes department, at least. )
02-25-2010, 11:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info session, Scott.
The CC system is another great way to go from what I've seen at their website. Seems very comfortable and sturdy too.
The video shows Mt Cotton handling two large cameras/lenses (three, actually) but one thing that keeps coming back to haunt me is the fact that you can easily drop the camera!
Now, you say that you use the Campdater hand starp in unison with the CC system.
I just don't understand how having this will be an additional safety option though. It's OK to have a good "grip" on your camera but just to transfer it from the CC system to your hand(s) increases the possibility to drop it, right? Or am I completely off track here?

Thanks a bunch ... waiting for further info if you don't mind.

JP

Edit: I don't have the Arca Swiss nor Manfrotto plates; I use a Velbon gear, the QB-635L Anti-Twist Quick Release Plate , which is a very good one, but not sure if it would fit with the system you are describing.
Hi Jacques,

If you slip your right hand into the grip strap before you release the camera from the CC it's completely secure. . . I can carry the body and 300/2.8 for hours in one hand with it by just lightly curling a few fingers around the grip on the body. Grip straps are a personal preference though, and while I won't use a DSLR any other way, other's hate them. . . You could, of course use lightweight neckstraps on each camera just for security.

With the 300/4 and the 70-200, I assume that you'd be using the tripod collar, so your Velbon QR plates will mount on the collars -- no problem, and you could use the CC grip straps with the integrated inserts. With the shorter lenses, there would probably be a logistics problem with your QR system and the CC. If you're seriously considering the CC, I'd contact them and see if either they or one of their customers have come up with an easy solution.

Just as an aside, about a year ago, I totally switched from the Manfrotto RC2 QR system (had 4 heads and 7 plates with RC2) to Arca Swiss compatible clamps and plates because the higher end support mechanisms (ballheads and gimbals, L brackets, etc) are more likely to be compatible with them, and the higher end stuff just makes things easier by flat out working better, IMO. YMMV on this though depending on how much you rely on your support system. . .

Scott
02-26-2010, 07:43 AM   #12
Ira
Inactive Account

I use guitar straps, with a little jerry-rigging to the camera's strap rings.

You can get inexpensive woven ones at the music store...they're wide enough so they don't dig into your shoulder...and they're the right configuration to hold and dangle your camera from when it's off the shoulder.
02-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Yeah, I think that with those lenses, the Optech thing I mentioned has no chance of working: it sounded closest to what you're describing, but all it is is a regular neck strap that had two sets of links. So you could conceivably hang one camera over another, right in front of you, but one would have to be pretty small. I think you need more serious harness.

Optech's a good company, though: they make a lot of useful things, mostly a selection of links that can attach their straps to about everything, which is probably why I mention them so much here. Otherwise, they just do some kind of nice things with neoprene, rather than anything really all that fancy.

The R-strap thing looks pretty flexible, though, considering. And you could wear it under a trenchcoat, so you can dramatically sweep it aside. Get some cool shades, techno music... (Actually, it does look pretty good in the compatible-with-street-clothes department, at least. )
I checked out Optech website: I must admit that I was quite pleasantly surprised to see that they offer a very good and customizable way of carrying your gear.
It looks very sturdy and comfortable too.
I haven't checked the prices (had a problem with the link from within their site) but I am sure it is less expensive than the R-strap system.
I will try again to see what the prices are.

Thanks for the info!

JP
02-26-2010, 12:51 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I use guitar straps, with a little jerry-rigging to the camera's strap rings.

You can get inexpensive woven ones at the music store...they're wide enough so they don't dig into your shoulder...and they're the right configuration to hold and dangle your camera from when it's off the shoulder.
Never thought of that, and I play guitar myself!
Could well be a much cheaper alternative as long as I can modify them so I can still carry two camera gears at once without much trouble.

JP
02-26-2010, 09:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I checked out Optech website: I must admit that I was quite pleasantly surprised to see that they offer a very good and customizable way of carrying your gear.
It looks very sturdy and comfortable too.
I haven't checked the prices (had a problem with the link from within their site) but I am sure it is less expensive than the R-strap system.
I will try again to see what the prices are.

Thanks for the info!

JP
Yeah, their stuff runs to the pretty-affordable. The 'boomerang' straps I like run about twenty to twenty-five on Ebay, these days, it looks like.

And, hrm. They have a harness of their own that I didn't know about. Not as sophisticated as the R-strap thing, it looks like, but the price isn't bad: like 35 bucks. (random Ebay listing)

OPTECH Dual Harness Strap for Camera Binocular Regular - eBay (item 120527477940 end time Mar-08-10 04:49:15 PST)

Might be a little swingey for your climbing, but maybe that could be adjusted or fixed. Kind of a tempting thing for me to try at that price, since I've already got some compatible stuff.