Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2010, 09:12 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good, lightweight ballheads?

Hi, I'm researching good, lightweight ballheads for taking on long day trips with photography as the purpose. I'll be using the ballhead with a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod that weighs under 3 lbs.

The two candidates thus far include:

Manfrotto 494RC2 at US$65 and the Really Right Stuff BH-25 at $150.

My criteria includes light weight, small size, but strength enough to securely support some heavier lenses, especially the Voigtlander APO 125mm (690g) and the DA* 50-135 (765g). I also don't want to spend over $150 or so.

Anyone with experience with either or both of these is welcome to comment. Other suggestions are also welcome.

Thanks,

M

03-01-2010, 05:18 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Have a look at the Feisol heads as well. I have a CB-50D which supports my K7 and 60-250 quite nicely.
03-01-2010, 08:59 AM   #3

Hi Miguel, I had the predecessor of the 494 and even locked down there was some flex in it. The RRS head doesn't have friction control and neither of the two heads you listed have a panning feature.
I'd suggest a Photoclam PC-33NS or the PC-36N if you don't need thelevel. They are a little bit heavier and a little more expensive, but I think you'll be happier in the long run. Check it out here:
Photo Clam PC-33NS
Photo Clam PC-36NS

Kerry at Really Big Cameras is a pleasure to deal with and he'll answer any questions you might have.
03-01-2010, 06:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

For a light ball head that offers good support, I'd recommend the Acratech heads.

Acratech, Inc*::*Ballheads & Tripod Accessories

As for the price, when it comes to tripods and heads (and quick releases), spend the money. If you're cheap about it, you'll just end up upgrading numerous times and end up spending more than if you bought the right one to begin with.

03-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mile High Quote
Hi Miguel, I had the predecessor of the 494 and even locked down there was some flex in it. The RRS head doesn't have friction control and neither of the two heads you listed have a panning feature.
I'd suggest a Photoclam PC-33NS or the PC-36N if you don't need thelevel. They are a little bit heavier and a little more expensive, but I think you'll be happier in the long run. Check it out here:
Photo Clam PC-33NS
Photo Clam PC-36NS

Kerry at Really Big Cameras is a pleasure to deal with and he'll answer any questions you might have.
2nded...

Can't say enough about how great and high quality my photoclam head is (I have the 33ns), I am extremely happy with it. If you are in the US Kerry (as said above) is easy to deal with, and very helpful if you have any questions. As 24x36 said, spend the money the first time and you won't need to take the incremental steps when you find what you bought doesn't suffice. (tripods and heads are different from cameras - if you get the right one, it should be the only one you ever have to buy...that is the basic premise at least!).

The two you listed I would not consider as the RRS does not have friction control, only locks down and open, and the manfrotto is a proprietary plate mount. Friction control makes a world of difference with ballheads, allowing you to move the camera without unlocking the ballhead (you preset a minimum amount of friction to where the head does not move with the camera attached...unless you move it). Being locked into proprietary plates restricts you to their system. With photoclam, markins, acratech, kirk and rrs you have a standard dovetail design, and can use plates from all manufacturers to suit your needs (something like an L plate, marcro rail, long plates to balance larger lenses and so on).
03-03-2010, 06:26 PM   #6
Forum Member

I 2nd Acratech

For a light ball head that offers good support, Acratech heads. Out standing head.
03-06-2010, 09:59 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I too selected the AcraTech for a number of reasons. Light weight, able to carry up to 25 lbs, although what I use never exceeds 4 lbs. The specific capability that drew my attention was the ability to mount it upside down, such that the rotating base is above the ball, thus it becomes a panning head. It can also be used as a gimbal and as a leveling base for my nodal ninja.

The added benefit with the open ball head design, is that dirt can never gum up the ball head works, and is not able to accumulate. It is a beautifully crafted machined piece of metal.

I use fairly large lenses 12-24, 16-45 and the 55-300, either directly on the head (with an L bracket on my K20) or mounted on the nodal ninja. It provides a solid base that functions great. My other two lenses that I use are relatively light, with 10-17 or 31, its like there is really nothing mounted.

It is slightly more, but you will never buy another head - ..... unless you acquire a 32 pound K1200mm f8 monster lens.....