Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2010, 05:03 PM   #1

Pentax 360FGZ help... Focus assist beam???

This flash unit is SO confusing. Ive looked online, i searched the forum, i read the manual.... how do i get the focus assist beam on the flash to work? I need it to act as a focus beam since my camera doesn't have one. But i also need the flash to trigger, i know it can do it so its only a focus assist beam.

I'm losing my mind lol can someone help me? someone should make a video instruction for this flash.... the manual is not helpful at all...

03-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi there.
The spot beam on the flash will only be engaged when the camera senses that it needs it; i.e. in low-light situations. Under normal conditions, focusing will be much faster than by the flash's spotbeam, so be thankful the camera only uses spotbeam when it has to.

If you want the flash to also work, then any flash setting other than the spotbeam mode will do for your purposes.
Hope this helps.
03-06-2010, 01:08 AM   #3

Original Poster
hmm... is there a button or setting i need to have it on for the focus beam to go off because Ive played around with it and even in darkness, no beam.... This flash is the most confusing piece of electronic equiptment ive ever seen.
03-06-2010, 02:04 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't explain why it doesn't work in the dark - it should do if everything else is in order.

Check the basics - make sure that the flash is fitted right into the camera's hotshoe adaptor - this has caused my own flash to malfunction on more than one occasion.

Check to see that any camera menu option for the flash does not disable the spotbeam function.

Ensure that both your flash and camera are set on auto modes (like green mode on the camera, and P-TTL on the flash, which it should be once you switch the flash on) and try again.

Hold down the AF button or shutter button halfway to give the camera enough time to register that the spotbeam is needed and see how you go.