Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2010, 12:23 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
I'm with ya. I'm a current Clyde (Former skinny boy) riding a 30ish lb Yeti 575 so I know about haulling all-mountain stuff up the hills.
oooh! That's a sweet bike. I'm not terribly fond of full-sussers myself, but if I was, that's probably one I'd consider. Nice, burly frame and well-spec'ed.

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
You are a braver man than I taking that much gear on an MTB ride. I worry like a guy with a teenage daughter when I take my body and an 18-55 beater on easy trails.
My bag has some very heavy padding, otherwise I wouldn't even consider it. It's an excellent bag as far as protection, but it also makes it large-ish and somewhat heavy... there's always a compromise somewhere. I considered hauling my gear in my saddle bags for a millisecond, and then reality kicked in.

03-11-2010, 12:28 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Honestly i don't see the point for having a battery grip. I just carry an extra battery with me and save my self all all the weight and bulkiness. Why make the camera bigger and heavier.
03-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex00 Quote
Honestly i don't see the point for having a battery grip. I just carry an extra battery with me and save my self all all the weight and bulkiness. Why make the camera bigger and heavier.
That's a generalization that I'm sure applies very well to you.

Clearly you missed my repeated statements about me forgetting to charge batteries all the time, or the one where I described how I got stuck with a dead camera 6 shots into a session because of that forgetfulness.

However I'm really glad you don't suffer from this same forgetfulness. It's good to know some people aren't as absent-minded as I am.

Anyways, there's more to it than batteries. It's called a "battery grip", not a battery pack. But I'm glad my review helped to re-enforce the fact that you don't need a grip. On the other hand, I do.
03-11-2010, 12:44 PM   #19
Veteran Member

For my K10d, it makes it VERY hard for me to not shoot straight. I think just for that, it's worth it

03-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
That's a generalization that I'm sure applies very well to you.

Clearly you missed my repeated statements about me forgetting to charge batteries all the time, or the one where I described how I got stuck with a dead camera 6 shots into a session because of that forgetfulness.

However I'm really glad you don't suffer from this same forgetfulness. It's good to know some people aren't as absent-minded as I am.

Anyways, there's more to it than batteries. It's called a "battery grip", not a battery pack. But I'm glad my review helped to re-enforce the fact that you don't need a grip. On the other hand, I do.
Clearly it's a mistake from your end. I always have one battery in the camera and another charged battery in the bag. You mean you forgot to charge both????. I would most definitely not take a battery grip if I'm going biking. just make sure your battery is charged before time and you're all set. No extra weight or bulkiness. As for camera Handheld grip stability. I wouldn't bet on it that with the grip i will take better photos. I'm able to handheld my k7 with the 50-135 with no grip issues at all.
03-11-2010, 01:00 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
For my K10d, it makes it VERY hard for me to not shoot straight. I think just for that, it's worth it
Practice is the mother of all skills. You don't need a grip to shoot straight.....
03-11-2010, 01:06 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Clearly it's a mistake from your end.
Of course it is! I forget to do things all the time, I've already stated that.

I would most definitely not take a battery grip if I'm going biking.
Oh, ok. That's good to know. I would, and I have. It's a great accessory for my needs.

just make sure your battery is charged before time and you're all set. No extra weight or bulkiness.
Man do I ever feel stupid, I had no idea life was so simple and easy! I've been going about this all wrong!

As for camera Handheld grip stability. I wouldn't bet on it that with the grip i will take better photos. I'm able to handheld my k7 with the 50-135 with no grip issues at all.
What a coincidence! So can I! I was doing it for months before I finally saved up enough for a grip. It was awesome. I thought I had it made.

And then along came the grip (for completely different reasons), and I found that holding the camera was EVEN EASIER than before! Who knew?

03-11-2010, 01:23 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
Of course it is! I forget to do things all the time, I've already stated that.

Oh, ok. That's good to know. I would, and I have. It's a great accessory for my needs.

Man do I ever feel stupid, I had no idea life was so simple and easy! I've been going about this all wrong!

What a coincidence! So can I! I was doing it for months before I finally saved up enough for a grip. It was awesome. I thought I had it made.

And then along came the grip (for completely different reasons), and I found that holding the camera was EVEN EASIER than before! Who knew?
Do Whatever sails your boat. This is only my opinion and point of view.
03-11-2010, 01:24 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Do Whatever sails your boat. This is only my opinion and point of view.
Phew! Good thing I have your permission For a second there, I thought I'd have to sell my grip because you didn't approve
03-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Nice write up, Goreman.

I've also got the grip, and I like it very much, especially for portraits. My only grip-gripe is that the curled ring for attaching the grip to the body lands just at your fingertips when shooting portrait mode; it's oddly uncomfortable.

But the pros of the grip far outweigh the cons.
03-11-2010, 02:16 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by a a i b Quote
My only grip-gripe is that the curled ring for attaching the grip to the body lands just at your fingertips when shooting portrait mode; it's oddly uncomfortable.
Hey you're right, I hadn't noticed that. It makes for a knurled protrusion sticking into the tips of 2 of my fingers. Doesn't bother me much now, but I bet it would get real uncomfortable over extended portrait shooting sessions.
03-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Actually I debated mentioning it, as if you don't notice, it can't bother you, right?

Anyway, just a bit of tape over it solves the problem.
03-11-2010, 11:46 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Practice is the mother of all skills. You don't need a grip to shoot straight.....
I shot with K100d for two years before getting the K10d with grip. Using the K10d with grip you dont even need practice to shoot straight. it just does. And I forgot to mention that I'm talking mostly shooting from the hip / no viewfinder here Sorry if I didnt make that clear.
03-25-2010, 06:03 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I just bought a grip for my new K7 from a fellow forum member today.

I had one for my K10D as well and got used to having it. I just recently bought a K7 and had a 2.5 hour session where I had to shoot almost exclusively in portrait without a grip. It was painful. I have a very sore cyst on the back of my hand that makes it really difficult to shoot in portrait.

Sometimes it's not just a matter of "don't forget to charge your batteries and spend some time practicing and you'll be fine".
10-22-2010, 05:55 AM   #30
SPB

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I concur, it changes the balance and feel completely and is 100% better, just felt totally natural at first use. Very happy I bought this grip too after much thought over price. It is much easier now to take upright pictures which I avoided. The buttons are all in the right place it does help being right-handed though (not sure it would be of any use if I was left handed). I too always had a second battery in the bag, now it is on the camera, with a spare SD card. I could do one of the events I go to with no bag. K7, grip and 21mm lens, that's a bonus too for me not to carry the weight on my back all day of the stuff I don't use on that day.

Last edited by SPB; 10-22-2010 at 11:46 PM.