Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-24-2010, 08:33 AM   #46
Inactive Account

ouch i think i blew a blood vessel in my head lol. from the info i have gathered eneloop are the battery of choice and only by a charger that can do individual cell. think i will probably get the Maha C9000 cause it has the automatic function but maybe i will understand all this mumbo jumbo someday and be able to use the rest of the functions.

03-24-2010, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oddity96 Quote
ouch i think i blew a blood vessel in my head lol. from the info i have gathered eneloop are the battery of choice and only by a charger that can do individual cell. think i will probably get the Maha C9000
Good choices -

For those who are still technically minded and have not yet blown a blood vessel...

If one has the wonderful Maha C9000 charger -
a much easier way to check the viability of any NiMH battery -
is to use the discharge function on a recently and fully charged battery -
set the discharge rate to 1300mA and look at the voltage reported -
it should be quite a bit above 1.15V -
if not the battery probably won't even power up the camera.

If that passes - remove the battery, wait a few moments and re-insert it
now set a discharge current of 1500 mA - and check the voltage -
again it should be a good margin above 1.15V.

To check how long the battery is likely to last compared to another is to leave that battery discharging at the 1500mA rate and see how long it takes before the voltage drops below 1.15V - this time is not how long the battery will last in the Pentax dSLR - but it is useful to compare with another NiMH battery - eg: eneloop vs. any other NiMH - one will be quite surprised how much more quickly a typical older regular NiMH will drop below 1.15V than an eneloop -
that's the reason why eneloops last longer in the Pentax dSLR than even regular NiMH that have much higher capacities >= 2500mAh....
because eneloops have better voltage maintenance under load.

Do I have to call the emergency room for burst blood vessels?
03-24-2010, 03:59 PM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Good choices -

For those who are still technically minded and have not yet blown a blood vessel...

If one has the wonderful Maha C9000 charger -
a much easier way to check the viability of any NiMH battery -
is to use the discharge function on a recently and fully charged battery -
set the discharge rate to 1300mA and look at the voltage reported -
it should be quite a bit above 1.15V -
if not the battery probably won't even power up the camera.

If that passes - remove the battery, wait a few moments and re-insert it
now set a discharge current of 1500 mA - and check the voltage -
again it should be a good margin above 1.15V.

To check how long the battery is likely to last compared to another is to leave that battery discharging at the 1500mA rate and see how long it takes before the voltage drops below 1.15V - this time is not how long the battery will last in the Pentax dSLR - but it is useful to compare with another NiMH battery - eg: eneloop vs. any other NiMH - one will be quite surprised how much more quickly a typical older regular NiMH will drop below 1.15V than an eneloop -
that's the reason why eneloops last longer in the Pentax dSLR than even regular NiMH that have much higher capacities >= 2500mAh....
because eneloops have better voltage maintenance under load.

Do I have to call the emergency room for burst blood vessels?
Some very good information for the " technically minded". I like to think that I am exactly that, and this post made perfect sense. Good post, thanks!
03-24-2010, 04:14 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will report that the chargers you can buy packaged with Eneloops will properly charge them. It may not be ideal like a more sophisticated chargers but thats's all I use with my Eneloops for my K200D and I get between 700 to 1000 shots per charge. I've never really paid that much attention but I know I've been pleased with my battery life using Eneloops.

03-25-2010, 08:29 AM   #50
Inactive Account

dang Costco stop selling eneloop walmart, bestbuy, and everywhere else around don't sell them. i am going to Try Fry's electronics and if they don't sell them i guess it online only.
03-25-2010, 11:13 AM   #51

dang Costco stop selling eneloop walmart, bestbuy, and everywhere else around don't sell them. i am going to Try Fry's electronics and if they don't sell them i guess it online only.
I bought mine at Fry's electronics.
03-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #52
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Camgen Quote
I bought mine at Fry's electronics.
i will head down there next week when i get paid since its like 50 miles from where i live.

03-27-2010, 08:57 AM   #53
Inactive Account

Okay a buddy of mine went to Fry's and they only sell the Eneloops for $20.00 for a set of 4. so looks like Amazon here i come.
03-27-2010, 09:22 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Okay a buddy of mine went to Fry's and they only sell the Eneloops for $20.00 for a set of 4. so looks like Amazon here i come.
I thinks that's only half right -
it is only 4 eneloops
but with a charger - as in

ENELOOP SANYO 4 Postion Charger with 4 AA NiMh Batteries

Anyway I think you are better off buying by mail order
since your 50 miles (each way?)
will probably cost you over $10 in gas alone......
03-27-2010, 09:34 AM   #55
Inactive Account

I thinks that's only half right -
it is only 4 eneloops
but with a charger - as in

ENELOOP SANYO 4 Postion Charger with 4 AA NiMh Batteries

Anyway I think you are better off buying by mail order
since your 50 miles (each way?)
will probably cost you over $10 in gas alone......
i saw that online and told him to bring it up to the sells guy who told him that it is only a online deal. and my van does not get that bad of gas mileage
03-27-2010, 09:39 AM   #56
Veteran Member

i saw that online and told him to bring it up to the sells guy who told him that it is only a online deal. and my van does not get that bad of gas mileage
at $2.70/gal for gas - let's say you get 27mpg - that's 10cents per mile, right?

100miles = $10.......
03-27-2010, 08:04 PM   #57

I just went to Fry's today and that $20 is for a pack of 4 w/ charger, they're out of stock for just the batteries alone but I think it was somewhere around $14 to $15 when they had them. They still have the Rayovac 4.0 for a little over $5.00 for a pack of 4.

Last edited by Camgen; 03-27-2010 at 08:11 PM.
03-27-2010, 10:58 PM   #58
Inactive Account

at $2.70/gal for gas - let's say you get 27mpg - that's 10cents per mile, right?

100miles = $10.......
it's actually $2.80 a gallon and i drive over 100 miles a day to and from work.

QuoteOriginally posted by Camgen Quote
I just went to Fry's today and that $20 is for a pack of 4 w/ charger, they're out of stock for just the batteries alone but I think it was somewhere around $14 to $15 when they had them. They still have the Rayovac 4.0 for a little over $5.00 for a pack of 4.
tell them to send the Rayovac to the Tempe AZ store i know people who are still looking for them at that price. i wonder if the store communicate with each other or if the are set up diffrent for each state. we have two here in AZ and both stores are some what different from each other in what they carry. but same basic lay out.
03-28-2010, 08:27 AM   #59

it's actually $2.80 a gallon and i drive over 100 miles a day to and from work.

tell them to send the Rayovac to the Tempe AZ store i know people who are still looking for them at that price. i wonder if the store communicate with each other or if the are set up diffrent for each state. we have two here in AZ and both stores are some what different from each other in what they carry. but same basic lay out.
They have the Kodak Precharge @ Walmart on sale for $8.00 a pack of 4.
As for the Rayovac 4.0 @ Fry's, they're usually on the shelve where alkalines are so if your're looking at the rechargeable battery section you won't find them there.

Last edited by Camgen; 03-28-2010 at 08:35 AM.
03-28-2010, 08:56 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is it okay to charge the AA batteries even if the battery has half left?