Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2010, 07:07 AM   #151
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
so rechargeables would be ahead by $50 every 6 months
so in 5 years one could have bought another K-x.......
There's no arguing the math, and I'll probably go for Eneloops when I have some extra shekels.

But back when I had another system, I would either forget to charge, not have time to charge, or something ELSE would happen where I had to buy a pack of AAs.

I'm not the organized type, and I would probably wind up spending the rechargeable savings on beer.

05-21-2010, 06:17 PM   #152

Anyone have any input as to what the voltage when charged should be for these LSD NiMH cells?
05-22-2010, 03:36 AM   #153
rkt

Eneloops are the best option that I have tried ... I keep two sets, and have not been let down so far ...
05-22-2010, 06:55 AM   #154
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gkamieneski Quote
Anyone have any input as to what the voltage when charged should be for these LSD NiMH cells?
Have to use caution for these figures.

My Maha/PowerEX C9000 charger terminates at voltage peak of 1.47V -
but during the additional slow charge cycle at 1/10C charge I have seen voltages as high as 1.51V.

Mostly off the charger the voltage is about 1.45V o-c (open circuit)

But after a while they settle down to around 1.35V o-c.

My eneloops charged one week ago now reads 1.385V

05-22-2010, 11:55 AM   #155

Thanks. That should be helpful. Sounds like mine are in the ballpark.
05-22-2010, 08:26 PM   #156
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Okay... I'm using the stock Eneloops charger... and it's taking a long time to charge (I don't mind) but... it's getting rather late and I need to sleep... but it's not done charging... so here's the stupid question. Is it safe to leave it all night? (would it automatically stop charging at max?) or should I just unplug it... and not charge it until I use it all again (no memory effect but meh...) or just continue charging in the morning?

UPDATE: Okay... one side of it is done (2 AAs) and one side is not... is this normal? also... it's not burning hot but it's.. like warm... is it normal for the temperature of the batteries to go to heat up like this? I hope it's not cooking it!

Okay... I'm screwed... I got the MQN06...

Last edited by NecroticSoldier; 05-22-2010 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Update
05-25-2010, 06:03 AM   #157

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
also... it's not burning hot but it's.. like warm... is it normal for the temperature of the batteries to go to heat up like this? I hope it's not cooking it!
Able to hold it in your hand warm is okay.

05-25-2010, 07:01 PM   #158
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OutOfFocus Quote
Able to hold it in your hand warm is okay.
Oh, thanks ;D sounds good to me!
05-30-2010, 06:37 PM   #159

Energizer

i used Energizer 2450 mAh (NiMH) which worked fine in my K100D Super.

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
The overall consensus is to use eneloops (with a good reliable charger).

There are confirmed re-badged eneloops -
important: look for the white top surrounding the +ve button, and made in Japan - only these are eneloop clones-
Duracell Pre-Charged
Sony Cycle-Energy

However almost any LSD (Low Self-Discharge) NiMH from a reputable brand will also be fine -

Brand names for LSD NiMH batteries include:

* Prolife from Fujicell
* Ready2Use Accu from Varta
* AccuEvolution from AccuPower
* Hybrid from Rayovac
* eneloop from Sanyo
* eniTime from Yuasa
* Infinium from Panasonic
* ReCyko from Gold Peak
* Instant from Vapex
* Hybrio from Uniross
* Cycle Energy from Sony
* MaxE and MaxE Plus from Ansmann
* EnergyOn from NexCell
* ActiveCharge/StayCharged/Pre-Charged from Duracell
* Pre-Charged from Kodak

The aforementioned Uniross Hybrios - some are also suspected re-badged eneloops - again look for the white top surrounds, although sometimes they may not be marked made in Japan.....

I use eneloops and DuraLoops (unofficial nickname of Duracell Pre-Charged - clones of eneloops)
on average I get over 1,100 shots in my K-x -
please see post #25 (toward bottom) in Kx in Use
05-30-2010, 10:46 PM   #160
Veteran Member

Question for those with the eneloop's,
Do any of you use the quick charger? If so is there any performance difference to the standard charger? I assume that if they are quick charged they wont last as long?
05-31-2010, 11:31 PM   #161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the MAHA C9000.
That is not quick - takes hours - but it charges/conditions the batteries beautifully.
It's not cheap but worth the money IMO.
Cheers
06-09-2010, 08:21 PM   #162

To all you in Australia with an accessible Aldi: yesterday for the princely sum of $7.95 (marked down from $10.00) I bought a battery charger that seems to fit the bill and obey the most important criteria as discussed in this sticky. It has 4 stations for AA and can charge 1 to 4 at a time. It has a discharge facility and also test. It is not a quick charger but comes with a guide to charge times. It is not "smart" in the sense of auto cut-off but has already resurrected a set of 4 NiMH that my previous "smart" charger would not look at. It does not have an LED read-out to show voltage, simply a green LED to show on test that the battery is charged. I have a separate voltmeter so I'm happy. The rescued set of AAs all show identical charge, so I am happy with that too. The charger comes under the label "ULTRACELL" which is the Aldi rechargeable NiMH series. I have not tried Ulteacell in my K200 as I am totally satisfied with my 2 sets of Eneloop. Hope this is of interest to someone!
06-25-2010, 01:18 AM   #163
Pentaxian

This is probably known here but I just bought a new pack of 4 Eneloop including the new charger that was manufactured after Oct. 2009. These new Eneloop are claimed to be able to sustain up to 1,500 charge cycles instead of 1,000.

Link here SANYO Announces New ?eneloop? Rechargeable Batteries| News Releases | SANYO Electric Co., Ltd. Global

or Sanyo NC-TGR01 Triple Speed Charger - A Glance - CandlePowerForums

A friend of of mine got these when he was in Japan.
06-25-2010, 01:20 AM   #164
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
Okay... I'm using the stock Eneloops charger... and it's taking a long time to charge (I don't mind) but... it's getting rather late and I need to sleep... but it's not done charging... so here's the stupid question. Is it safe to leave it all night? (would it automatically stop charging at max?) or should I just unplug it... and not charge it until I use it all again (no memory effect but meh...) or just continue charging in the morning?

UPDATE: Okay... one side of it is done (2 AAs) and one side is not... is this normal? also... it's not burning hot but it's.. like warm... is it normal for the temperature of the batteries to go to heat up like this? I hope it's not cooking it!

Okay... I'm screwed... I got the MQN06...
My new stock charger takes only 4 hours to charge 4xAA. Not bad for a stock charger

This is what I have Sanyo NC-TGR01 Triple Speed Charger - A Glance - CandlePowerForums
07-15-2010, 08:39 PM   #165

I've got a set of Eneloops for regular use, but also went by Costco and got their big pack of 48 AAs for around nine bucks. So, it costs about eighty cents to throw in a set of regular AAs, which is also an acceptable option.

Wyatt