Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2010, 09:24 AM   #1

Wierd SD card behavior

I have a 16GB Class 6 PNY memory card that works flawlessly in my other cameras, but has a wierd issue with my K-x every other time I power the camera on (or wait 5-10 seconds after powering it on to do anything).

I'll turn the camera on and everything seems fine, but when I try to take a picture, I'll either get "Memory card error" or "unable to store picture". The camera still responds to the shutter button...auto focuses and you can hear the mirror flip like it's taking a picture, but the back screen is still black with either error msg. I have to turn the camera off, then back on and then it works just perfect (high burst rate, no interuption for video recording, etc).

If I let the camera sit for while and it goes into sleep mode (or whatever it's called) after 1 minute, then half press the shutter button to bring it back to life, I'll get one of the error msgs again after taking the first shot and require me to power cycle it again.

The wierd part is if I turn the camera on and then wait 5-10 seconds before taking the first shot, it will always work fine.

The camera doesn't do this with another old/slower SD card (a cheap A-data 2GB unknown class) so obviously the recommendation would be to buy a new card, but it almost seems as though it might be an issue with the size of the card, like maybe the camera is indexing the card on startup and needs time (although the activity light only blinks once quickly when first turned on). I've tried different batteries also to make sure it wasn't a power issue.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this type of behavior.

03-08-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you formatted the card in the camera?
03-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #3

Original Poster
I formatted the card in the camera the first time I inserted it into the K-x. I haven't used it in any of the other cameras since either. I tried formatting it a 2nd time in the K-x and scanned it damage in my computer.
03-08-2010, 10:58 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

So if I understand, once you formatted the card in the camera, the computer then said the images were damaged after you moved the card to the computer? If the smaller card is working fine on both, I suspect you have a card that is starting to develop issues. I think it would be worth getting an new high quality card to check the system out. Maybe a Sandisk Ultra or a Lexar Pro.

03-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #5

Original Poster
Opps, that sentence should have read "I scanned it for damage (bad sectors/cells) in my computer". No problems were found. No images were ever damaged because they were never written to the card when I'd get one of the errors. Power cycle the camera and everything would be fine.
03-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Do a slow FAT32 format on your computer, then format again in camera and see if the problem goes away.
01-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #7

I am having this same problem with an 8GB class 10 PNY card, should I try and get another brand or just replace the card with another PNY?
01-04-2011, 09:27 AM   #8

Original Poster
PNY replaced my card under warranty. The replacement has been working great.

01-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #9

did you contact PNY directly?
01-05-2011, 08:31 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by max_power Quote
did you contact PNY directly?
Yeah, I had been using the card for 6 months in a previous (less demanding) camera with no issues so I had to go thru PNY for the replacement. I sent them an RMA request on their website. Pretty painless process... they responded to my request within a day and it took about 3 weeks - shipping time for the old card to them till when i got the new one back. They needed a copy of my purchase receipt with the card when I returned it.

If you just got it, you might get faster service from whoever you bought it from, but PNY seems to be a responsible company.
01-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #11
Veteran Member

PNY - doesn't surprise me. Every product I have ever bought from PNY (including video cards and SD cards) was either DOA or failed within 2-3 months. I have avoided them for years due to that.
01-05-2011, 12:21 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I never had a problem with PNY anything. I have one of their 4GB SDHC cards I've been using for a year now with no problems. When I was a MacAddict I used their computer memory and again had no problems.