Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2010, 07:52 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
SDHC Confusion!

SanDisk (Ultra or Extreme III/IV), Panasonic (Gold Series), or Lexar? Class 6 or 10? In store or on-line (how to tell counterfeits?)? Is it all just personal preference, or are there real quality differences?

03-09-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

I've always stuck with Sandisk. This is what my local pusher sells, and so this is what I buy.
With the number of counterfeiters out there, this is an item that I buy from a store with a supply chain that I can trace back to the OEM distributor.
And yes, I probably pay more than I need to, but I'm will to do that because I want to be sure of getting a genuine part, and because I want my local store to stay in business.
03-09-2010, 08:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
sandisk will generally have seasonal rebates

*************** is my default forum for deals, generally things people post there are well vetted.

FYI I got 3 4gb san disk extreme III for 15 bucks total after rebate last winter.
03-09-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I have bunch of Sandisk Ultra II's, Lexar Platinum 60X's, and I am currently using Kingston Class 6's. All bought via Amazon, and once at the Las Vegas Wal-mart. I've never had an issue.

03-09-2010, 11:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've got a bunch of different brands, and they all perform differently. I've had good luck with Sandisk and Patriot. Not so much with A-Data. Kingston, that depends on how large the card is. I've had a few failed 16GB Kingstons, and not a single failed 8GB one.

My Class10 SDHC cards are slightly faster on my K-7 than my Class6 cards, but only since the last firmware update. Mostly the buffer write-out is faster with the Class10 (the time it takes to flush the buffer when I've filled it). Also, reading on the computer is fast, but I use a card reader on my computer, not a USB cable from the camera.

NewEgg.com recently got caught selling counterfeit SDHC cards, apparently their inventory got peppered with fakes and they only realized it after they'd already shipped some to customers. So even the big chains get nailed with counterfeits sometimes. It's easy to get screwed. For the most part, I trust NewEgg.com for ordering memory cards. Especially since anything I order from there gets to me within 2 business days no matter which shipping method I select. Besides, they did right by their customers as soon as the counterfeits were found... I can only hope they would've done the right thing even if their customers did not realize the issue.
03-10-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I but PNY Optima's in a local store. I have never had an issue with one of them and the prices are competitive with online/mailorder sellers. Often, the shipping charge brings the price higher.
03-11-2010, 07:45 AM   #7

Has anyone here used Transcend?? I have my eye on some of theirs on newegg at a decent price.

03-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
I've got a bunch of different brands, and they all perform differently. I've had good luck with Sandisk and Patriot. Not so much with A-Data. Kingston, that depends on how large the card is. I've had a few failed 16GB Kingstons, and not a single failed 8GB one.

My Class10 SDHC cards are slightly faster on my K-7 than my Class6 cards, but only since the last firmware update. Mostly the buffer write-out is faster with the Class10 (the time it takes to flush the buffer when I've filled it). Also, reading on the computer is fast, but I use a card reader on my computer, not a USB cable from the camera.

NewEgg.com recently got caught selling counterfeit SDHC cards, apparently their inventory got peppered with fakes and they only realized it after they'd already shipped some to customers. So even the big chains get nailed with counterfeits sometimes. It's easy to get screwed. For the most part, I trust NewEgg.com for ordering memory cards. Especially since anything I order from there gets to me within 2 business days no matter which shipping method I select. Besides, they did right by their customers as soon as the counterfeits were found... I can only hope they would've done the right thing even if their customers did not realize the issue.
I haven't heard anything about counterfeit SDHCs, just the counterfeit Core i7 incident. Newegg handled the situation very well. IPEX didn't, too bad for them, they've lost a MAJOR customer (Newegg).

As far as Transcend SDHC cards - they seem to get very good ratings on Newegg. The last pair of cards I got were 16GB Patriots for my Canon camcorder, but I have a few Transcends and have no problems with them.
03-11-2010, 08:17 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jqjones Quote
Has anyone here used Transcend?? I have my eye on some of theirs on newegg at a decent price.

Yep, I left it off my list...they are what's in 2 cameras now :-)
03-13-2010, 10:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I've used SanDisk and Lexar no real difference in quality. I'd think speed wise you'd might see a difference in HDvideo recording. So if I had a choice I'd stick with a big name as I'd hope their Quality control is strict. but for everyday picture taking I've seen no difference.